News Article: Al Trautwig taking a leave of absence.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
He actually talked about that during the roundtable last night. He laughed about how critics were always on him for that but he said he it was tough doing a broadcast for a team mired in losing and wanted to make it entertaining and not a crapfest on the players which he thought would be a turn off for viewers.

The problem with that is that JD continued to say negative things about some Rangers while looking the other way if someone like Messier committed horrific plays.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Edwards is a good play by play guy if he can keep the homerism in check. When it gets out of hand is when he gets annoying
When he's not beating me up, he's really a nice guy mom!

Edwards is awful. One of If not the absolute worst announcer in any sports period. There is no objectivity whatsoever in his broadcast. It's rah rah bruins garbage from the moment it's on.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
When he's not beating me up, he's really a nice guy mom!

Edwards is awful. One of If not the absolute worst announcer in any sports period. There is no objectivity whatsoever in his broadcast. It's rah rah bruins garbage from the moment it's on.
Never Forget
D2tad-Ad-Wk-Agqng-png-large.png

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
giphy.gif

Is that real? What is that from
It is real. If you go through the account history on Reddit, it's the actual Jack Edwards. And he's more active than you think he would be (several AMA's)

This was during our final game against the Bruins last season.

He also had some choice comments like "Lias Andersson is currently ranked 836th in the NHL in +/- at -15. Helluva 'player'"

Can't wait for the first NYR/BOS game and I hope Lias scores the game winner.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's real as mentioned above. Jack Edwards like like vocal cancer being spewed into the air... All the people who have said he's good at what he's doing are either closet bruin fans, or haven't heard him more than once or twice.

He's absolutely the worst.

Not gonna lie, I enjoy him as a Play by Play announcer but he's definitely a jackass

Reactions: egelband

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Let us add to our prayers, whatever it is it is not [extreme] serious...

for those who do not believe, no explanation is possible,
for those who believe, no explanation is necessary,

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
35nONFf.jpg

I prefer to think of Al this way. A still shot off of TV, as I've been watching the 7 games of Rangers/Canucks on VHS that I've saved for now.... 27 years! (Yes, I am starving for Rangers hockey.) He had some outstanding post game interviews.

We all AGE, but obviously is going through something. Has anyone heard ANYTHING about him being ready for upcoming season? With Covid and all, maybe he would be better served NOT being around ANYBODY.
Someone mentioned he was an Islander fan, you know.....I think I always knew that, and wondered if he switched out, or is still a closet NYI fan. Hey MSG doles out his paycheck.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jack Edwards was awesome as the PbP for the USA World Cup team in 2002.
Edwards was a good soccer guy. I always liked him then. He was one of the few American broadcasters who actually seemed to somewhat understand the game, and didn't think it was like football where you have to describe every detail of every play.

What the f*** happened to him...

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
A thread bump on this topic scared me... I legit was scared clicking it as I assumed the worst.

I wonder if whatever is he going through will battle through it. I thought something bad happened. no one knows what happened with him yet?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Edwards was a good soccer guy. I always liked him then. He was one of the few American broadcasters who actually seemed to somewhat understand the game, and didn't think it was like football where you have to describe every detail of every play.

What the f*** happened to him...

He got caught up in becoming a character.

And once that happens, the drop in quality feels almost inevitable.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He got caught up in becoming a character.

And once that happens, the drop in quality feels almost inevitable.

Just the world we're living in, with social media and near-24/7 access. You need to be a brand or have a gimmick to be somebody.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just the world we're living in, with social media and near-24/7 access. You need to be a brand or have a gimmick to be somebody.

I think there's a balance to be had. You need a niche, you need to stand out.

But some people take it to the extreme. Personally, I find it to be a sign of insecurity.

If you need to become a cartoon character to be recognized, then it probably means your work isn't good enough on its own merits.

Reactions: Crease

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad