News Article: Al Trautwig taking a leave of absence.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I don't hate Gianonne's play by play, but it is very generic and only works on television. He could never fill in on radio.

I find it funny that I'm not the only one who sees Bill Pidto as an actual stereotype of "sports guy".

As for Al, hope he recovers from whatever it is.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
That will be a sad day.

I'm in the minority but do not enjoy Kenny on TV

as long as it is not Vally. he is awful. I don't mind Kenny Albert or John G. we could have that fool on the Devils and not talking about Ken Daneyko. the guy that looks like Rob Schneider, Steve Cangelosi, he is awful as well

steve-cangialosi-385x385.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F68b034dbbc17d54dc7bdf41f9f31fffc%2F205919732%2FRob-Schneider-Home-AloneGC.jpg

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Kenny Albert has the acumen but not the voice. John Giannone has neither. I think Howie Rose was by far the best hockey broadcaster in the region and wish the Rangers could get him to come back to hockey. I understand he does only Mets radio now.

My dream team would be Rose and Dave Maloney with Steve Valiquette between the benches.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Wish they'd give LaGreca a shot on TV

oh no please no

i expect MSG to slide Burke to NYR TV when Sam retires,
Isles fans may not like it, even Burke may not choose it,
but NYR is where MSG's bread is buttered

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
That will be a sad day.

I'm in the minority but do not enjoy Kenny on TV

Kenny is the best announcer in hockey - on radio.

Unfortunately he's not the same on TV, very possibly because he's not allowed to be.

Sam and whoever talk about everything but the game in front of them. It's an embarrassment. Sam is knowledgeable and a good announcer. But either he no longer tries or once again, he may be ordered to be 'entertaining' and not informative.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Kenny is the best announcer in hockey - on radio.

Unfortunately he's not the same on TV, very possibly because he's not allowed to be.

Sam and whoever talk about everything but the game in front of them. It's an embarrassment. Sam is knowledgeable and a good announcer. But either he no longer tries or once again, he may be ordered to be 'entertaining' and not informative.
If you listen closely on radio, Kenny is always behind the play. Listen to the crowd reactions. He gets exposed on TV.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
oh no please no

i expect MSG to slide Burke to NYR TV when Sam retires,
Isles fans may not like it, even Burke may not choose it,
but NYR is where MSG's bread is buttered
Youre kidding right? I mean i hope youre kidding. The Islanders broadcast is painful to listen to, both TV and Radio. Its like they hired children to do it.

Anyone who doesnt like Kenny Albert and his iconic voice (much like his father) can GTFO. This is Kennys job when Sam retires...if he wants it.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
OMG. Did I just hear John say "the notion of emotion?"

Someone please give Al a call and see if he is alright. Please...

Reactions: romba

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
They likely make six times that much.

$50 to 60k was an entry level salary ten years ago and barely a livable wage in the five boroughs.

Reactions: NCRanger

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
They likely make six times that much.

$50 to 60k was an entry level salary ten years ago and barely a livable wage in the five boroughs.
I drive through John Giannone's neighborhood from time to time. I'll just say that there's no way he affords that area on 50-60k/year.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
In fairness, the median household income for New York City is just under 58k. But TV personalities are going to do quite a bit better than that. Certainly low 6 figures to start.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
John G is cringey. It's like he tries too hard to be poetic and articulate like Doc and he fails even worse than Doc. His post game interviews with the players after a loss should be performed in a room with mood lights, scent of incense and tea wafting about while he gets through his difficult questions in a hushed tone. JFC, its a sport and entertainment, chill boss and have a little fun with it. He always looks so serious intensely gripping that damn microphone.

I think John G wrote that dumb ESPN documentary commercial:
"Every player has a team. Every Team has a League. Every League has a Country. Every Country Has a Leader. Every Leader has a story. Tune in."

I actually don't mind his PBP that much, he's generic and simple which is fine because I have the beautiful play in front of my eyes to compensate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohbaby

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If you listen closely on radio, Kenny is always behind the play. Listen to the crowd reactions. He gets exposed on TV.
Most radio guys are a bit behind. They have to describe much more than the TV guys and it takes time. One thing I dislike about Lagreca is he's even farther behind than Kenny. A goal will happen and Lagreca is still describing the zone entry a full two hockey plays behind, and then will just rush the rest. Kenny is usually about 1 hockey play behind it seems to me.

"Deangelo enters the zone with speed(crowd ERUPTS),passesitacrossgetsthereturnandheeeeescorrrreeeesssssssssssss

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad