News: Agent Allan Walsh: Max Pacioretty to LA was a done deal (pending extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It would shock me if LA was offering that...but i could be wrong.

Every one including L.A fans and media denied the trade and that it was only rumors a couple days after even up to Walsh’s comment.

Not saying it was exactly this but they were right at the time.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

Clearly Pacioretty must've felt insulted and was unimpressed by whatever extension was being offered. So, what do you guys think Bergevin was to receive from LA for a signed Pacioretty? One name we do know who definitely wasn't going to Montreal was Gabe Vilardi.

This is old news though.. I knew about the LA trade months ago.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Until this last season, I'd say the team always backed him 100%. They stood behind him when he was named captain over Subban too.
I have read some opposite things with Patches...ex coach saying he was the worst captain in the league, and this was while he was the coach..I have always heard rumblings that Patches was always under fire there...Montreal fans would know better than me, but just doesn't seem like a place one would want to stay if there has been talk like this over the years.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
What are the chances that MaxPac is the next Eric Staal? When he came to MN, we were told by everyone that he was washed up.

Boy, were they wrong.
I don't think many are calling Max washed up. He is a great LW and will be for awhile

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think many are calling Max washed up. He is a great LW and will be for awhile
I would have to disagree with you, unless you have a different definition than me of "great".

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't see how it looks bad on the Kings. If a deal that included our draft pick was involved it would make everything time sensitive. Blake would have had a contract in mind that he felt was worth trading those assets for.(whatever they were) ie Patches at 6mx6y is more valuable than patches at 8 x 8 obviously. LA has very limited cap space. Its hard to see how it is any sort of slight to patches for the time frame/ offer or to LA for patches to decline.

at least till the playoffs, of course. For a team that struggled MIGHTILY to score in the playoffs, maxie doesnt scratch that itch.

Exactly. Dude can't even handle the pressure of signing a contract, how's he gonna help us in the playoffs :sarcasm: :naughty:

WOW, I smell a major overpay.

You smell some members a fanbase trying really hard to win a trade that never happened in retrospect. This thread is f***ing weird.

This kings fan wanted him before Kovalchuk. 1st would have been fair. Alot of kings fans were saying f off to the rumored ask of Gabe + 1st +

This so much.

La fans knew they had a scoring concern personnel-wise and wanted to solve it. Patches would have been likely too expensive, and I don't know how many times LA fans said we didn't want to give up significant assets in pursuit of it, we were better off staying the course or signing a FA. But of course, many fans took that the wrong way, and here we are with the "SEE I TOLD YOU SO" when the rumored return isn't anywhere near what fans were pursuing, shrug.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I would have to disagree with you, unless you have a different definition than me of "great".

he is one year removed from a string of 4 straight years of 30 goal seasons. None of which were played with a legitimate top line center. Last year was not the best, but given he missed games he was still on pace for over 20 (with a lot of crap linemates). Also I like his board play and think he is more two dimensional than some other top line LW (skinner). There are not a whole lot of LW I would put over him.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I have read some opposite things with Patches...ex coach saying he was the worst captain in the league, and this was while he was the coach..I have always heard rumblings that Patches was always under fire there...Montreal fans would know better than me, but just doesn't seem like a place one would want to stay if there has been talk like this over the years.

Yeah there was something about a leaked off-the record conversation where a journalist heard Therrien saying that, but it might have been taken out of context.

As for the fans... yeah. It's a shitshow and he's been critized alot over the years, mostly unfairly, but that's not really anything new or unique to him.

Reactions: AmericanDream

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah there was something about a leaked off-the record conversation where a journalist heard Therrien saying that, but it might have been taken out of context.

As for the fans... yeah. It's a ****show and he's been critized alot over the years, mostly unfairly, but that's not really anything new or unique to him.

Wearing the C in Montreal comes with a lot of unfair scrutiny, especially when the team is not winning.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
What are the chances that MaxPac is the next Eric Staal? When he came to MN, we were told by everyone that he was washed up.

Boy, were they wrong.

he's NOT washed up, but after playing on a sweetheart contract he is looking to get paid in AAV and term. He is one of a handful of NHL players who will score 25 not matter WHO you line him up with. If you are looking for a complimentary scoring winger ala Kessel then Max may be your guy. but he's gonna be your guy for a long time. That's what teams are afraid of ( that and the fact that when the going gets tough, max goes poof)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Wearing the C in Montreal comes with a lot of unfair scrutiny, especially when the team is not winning.

The biggest problem with the team since 2013 is that Price is the real leader of the team but can't wear a C.

And Markov should have been captain since Koivu left but he kept getting hurt and there was a rumour that he didn't want it, which he later denied.

Pacioretty and Subban should have never been up for the C. It should have been Carey's but NHL rules, then Markov's, but for whatever reason wasn't.

Reactions: habsfan92

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

therrien said ( alledgedly) he was the worst captain in Canadiens history, which is pretty damning as Gionta wore the C. But therrien isnt here anymore. Montreal can deal with players who are not the most talented so long as they put in a solid effort. Max simple doesn't. he floats and he's lazy and the only time you see him giving a damn is the rare occasions when we are up late in a game and the other team has pulled their goalie.

And he should have been aware that in the fishbowl that is Montreal, being the captain involves more than what happens on the ice. Here is a guy who just looks completely uncomfortable in front of a mike and the best you can hope for as things are going down the crapper is that he might, might, let out an expletive. And its not just Montreal, the same thing that habs fans moan about were repeated verbatim by Torts about patches.

He's been on the block for a while, but it looks like if people are pining for him they are more than willing to wait it out and get him as a ufa without giving up any assets, so its likely he floats for 3/4 of the season and then we dump him for scraps at the deadline.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
The biggest problem with the team since 2013 is that Price is the real leader of the team but can't wear a C.

And Markov should have been captain since Koivu left but he kept getting hurt and there was a rumour that he didn't want it, which he later denied.

Pacioretty and Subban should have never been up for the C. It should have been Carey's but NHL rules, then Markov's, but for whatever reason wasn't.

And thats a good thing. Leader =/= best player.

Managment should just name Gallagher the new Captain and just be done with it. Too many good players have had their Habs career derailed because of the C.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
And thats a good thing. Leader =/= best player.

Managment should just name Gallagher the new Captain and just be done with it. Too many good players have had their Habs career derailed because of the C.

Price is the leader in the locker though. The team goes where he goes, which is why it wasn't until rumours that Price had lost patience with Therrien that suddenly the team lost patience with him and in a week or so of reports, Therrien was finally fired.

The club has a "leadership committee" involving players with A's and C's... and Price. Every interview has players saying that Price is the leader of the locker room.

But yeah, the C will either goto Shea Weber or Brendan Gallagher next.

Reactions: habsfan92

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
this morning John Shannon said on the Fan 960 is was for LA's first round pick. The extension LA had tabled was a 6 year $6M/year deal which was turned down.
If this is true Rob Blake should be fired.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Price is the leader in the locker though. The team goes where he goes, which is why it wasn't until rumours that Price had lost patience with Therrien that suddenly the team lost patience with him and in a week or so of reports, Therrien was finally fired.

The club has a "leadership committee" involving players with A's and C's... and Price. Every interview has players saying that Price is the leader of the locker room.

But yeah, the C will either goto Shea Weber or Brendan Gallagher next.

If Price exerts that much leadership... I think that's a problem. If Patches isn't really such a good captain, I don't how Price is really any better. I don't really listen to their interviews that much but personality-wise I think they have much in common.

And I firmly believe that at this point it would be a mistake to pin the C on a player that is too crucial to the team. Weber should concentrate on his health.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If Price exerts that much leadership... I think that's a problem. If Patches isn't really such a good captain, I don't how Price is really any better. I don't really listen to their interviews that much but personality-wise I think they have much in common.

From what I've heard, Price doesn't sugar coat anything when talking to a teammate who is screwing up.

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
That would have been a fair deal for both sides, I think.

How is that a fair deal for both sides? Please tell me what other consistent 35 goal scorer has signed a 6x6 deal within the last 2 seasons? (and if you bring up some BS that he's coming off a bad year or that he's 29 i'm just not going to answer your stupidity). Max would be getting ripped off for anything under $7.5 per year (I think 6 years is reasonable though)

Most comparable would be JVR who got 5x7 and he's the same age/position. Key thing is, he's not even as good as Patches (statistically)...

EDIT: This came off as more aggressive than I intended. Sorry about that lol.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

NHL allows it...look at Luongo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad