News: Agent Allan Walsh: Max Pacioretty to LA was a done deal (pending extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Why? Do you not think an extended Max is worth a first or do you not like the $6M/yr?
He's about to be 30. He'll basically be 31 when that contract starts. 6 years for a 31 year old? No thanks.

The 1st round pick is just salt in the wound.

I'm sure he would be good for us for a few years, but that contract will turn into a boat anchor soon.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He's about to be 30. He'll basically be 31 when that contract starts. 6 years for a 31 year old? No thanks.

The 1st round pick is just salt in the wound.

I'm sure he would be good for us for a few years, but that contract will turn into a boat anchor soon.
so 6 years for a 31 year old is bad but 3 years for a 35 year is ok? Don't get that especially when the 35 year has not played in the NHL for a few years, comes with a NMC (not sure about Max P), has more restrictions because it is a 35+ contract and is more of a 1 way guy.

To me I would pay a first to eliminate those concerns.

Reactions: gab6511

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think managers will soon smarten up and stop offering 29/30 year olds too much term. These contracts end up killing you way more than helping.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
this morning John Shannon said on the Fan 960 is was for LA's first round pick. The extension LA had tabled was a 6 year $6M/year deal which was turned down.
Can't blame Patches for that. He should easily get 7x7 based on JVR and Kane.
And Habs fans, you now know his worth. A late 1st (21 1st OV) as your GM reportedly accepted it.
And that was with 1 year, 2 playoffs and a pending extension. We can assume the value has dropped.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How is that a fair deal for both sides? Please tell me what other consistent 35 goal scorer has signed a 6x6 deal within the last 2 seasons? (and if you bring up some BS that he's coming off a bad year or that he's 29 i'm just not going to answer your stupidity). Max would be getting ripped off for anything under $7.5 per year (I think 6 years is reasonable though)

Most comparable would be JVR who got 5x7 and he's the same age/position. Key thing is, he's not even as good as Patches (statistically)...

EDIT: This came off as more aggressive than I intended. Sorry about that lol.
Maybe Max deserves more, I don't think any team would be happy to pay him more than 6 but maybe you're right. Don't worry about the aggressiveness, I've been called worse.

Today.

On HF.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
And Habs fans, you now know his worth. A late 1st (21 1st OV) as your GM reportedly accepted it.
And that was with 1 year, 2 playoffs and a pending extension. We can assume the value has dropped.

1) I agree he will get more as a UFA this year, teams overpay on July 1
2) This was at the draft so would have been 1 year and 1 potential playoffs pending extension.

I would think without the pending extension his value will be less. However who knows come trade deadline.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
1) I agree he will get more as a UFA this year, teams overpay on July 1
2) This was at the draft so would have been 1 year and 1 potential playoffs pending extension.

I would think without the pending extension his value will be less. However who knows come trade deadline.
Oh right. My bad. I was thinking deadline for some reason.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

It was reportedly at the draft, and all we can comfortably assume is that the 20th overall pick was one of the pieces involved but there was likely something else too. So no, the #20 wasn't confirmedly his value and no, he couldn't have had two playoffs under his current contract.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It was reportedly at the draft, and all we can comfortably assume is that the 20th overall pick was one of the pieces involved but there was likely something else too. So no, the #20 wasn't confirmedly his value and no, he couldn't have had two playoffs under his current contract.
Yeh I messed up on the playoff thing but in terms of the deal, Shannon made it sound like it was just the pick.

Reactions: YP44

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
so 6 years for a 31 year old is bad but 3 years for a 35 year is ok? Don't get that especially when the 35 year has not played in the NHL for a few years, comes with a NMC (not sure about Max P), has more restrictions because it is a 35+ contract and is more of a 1 way guy.

To me I would pay a first to eliminate those concerns.
Kovalchuk is a unique specimen and we didn't have to give anything up to get him, but it remains to be seen whether or not signing him was a good move.

Every year we see guys around 30 years old get big contracts. They rarely turn out to be good deals. Blake should know better.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kings have a window to win now, after 2-3 years they are going to look very pedestrian overall..so either Patches helps that win now or just would add to a mess in a few years...Hawks have dealt with this scenario up against the cap this and last year...

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Always fun to wonder "what if".

Pacioretty was going to LA in return of Muzzin + 20th overall and something else (a prospect, a pick swap, a roster player, a cap dump? who knows. / Also who knows if there wasn't something else attached to Pacioretty either, it be a pick or another player/prospect)

You got to wonder if Mtl would have been able to package one of its 2nd round picks + something else to move up from 20th at that point. The draft could've ended up playing out quite differently.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Always fun to wonder "what if".

Pacioretty was going to LA in return of Muzzin + 20th overall and something else (a prospect, a pick swap, a roster player, a cap dump? who knows. / Also who knows if there wasn't something else attached to Pacioretty either, it be a pick or another player/prospect)

You got to wonder if Mtl would have been able to package one of its 2nd round picks + something else to move up from 20th at that point. The draft could've ended up playing out quite differently.
The rumored return was Muzzin, Anderson-Dolan and a 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad