Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Are you completely incapable of a unbiased opinion? You got dominated 5on5 in every facet of the game. Goaltending was bad on both sides but the Canucks actually played well, the oilers didn't.
Do you understand, that a team up 4-1 doesnt goes full speed forward, they thought they could grind it home.

The problem was, they went up 4-1 to easy, didnt got going. Nucks was harmless at 3 pp, of Course a team behind have more possession, but it wasnt dangerous, 2 bad bounces and some stinkers happened and to late for a comeback.

And yes it was the worst game of the playoffs.

See you in game 2 or not!

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Blaming Silovs for Ian Cole's horrific decision making, huh?

0-1 was Ian Cole standing in front of Silovs covering nobody, 0-2 was Iac Cole banking the puck to Draisaitl without a single Oilers near him then screening Silovs and 1-3 was Ian Cole trying and failing to deflect the puck with his stick instead of just grabbing it with his left hand then screening Silovs.

I mean, Ian Cole managed to be a scapegoat in this...but Silovs was not as sharp as you'd hope either.

There were 3 goals that a dialed in goaltender stops against him. Little deflections and screens...you've gotta fight through that stuff.

I honestly don't know if there's a right or wrong answer to which goalie you come back with next game.

But i'd still roll Silovs. If the wheels really start to come off, you make the switch to DeSmith. But the way Silovs is, as a young goaltender playing in way over his expected depth...i think it's at least worth a shot to just keep him rolling. He made some mistakes, but they didn't lose. I think the team's confidence is still there in him. No reason to upset the apple cart while it's rolling along.

At the end of the day...it doesn't look like this is going to be a goaltending duel. Silovs is better that he played that game. Just keep at it and see where it goes. You've always still got DeSmith in reserve if it goes really sideways.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
They won't have the cap space to sign all those guys with raises, even with Myers coming off the books. The problem with a lot of guys having career years in contract years.
There's room to do it but it requires moving Mikheyev for sure and likely moving Hronek. They have like 30 million in cap and 3-5 guys in Abby that can likely make the jump which gives them some wiggle room.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Well HD chances were 10-4 so like 40% of our shots were of the high-end quality, oilers had four. Oilers had an expected GF of 0.97 5on5 and scored 3.

So what you are saying is that the Oilers were lucky and PDO frauds?

Do you understand, that a team up 4-1 doesnt goes full speed forward, they thought they could grind it home.

The problem was, they went up 4-1 to easy, didnt got going. Nucks was harmless at 3 pp, of Course a team behind have more possession, but it wasnt dangeraus, 2 bad bounces and some stinkers happened and to late for a comeback.

It's funny when it's the Oilers who are ahead, it finally makes sense to Oilers fans that the teams behind tends to have more shots, yet they call the Canucks PDO frauds all season.

The issue was how the Oilers played though, had they kept any kind of pressure up, they could have skated it to a win. This is round 2 of the playoffs, 8 teams left, any team still playing deserves to be still playing.

A 4-1 lead on a lottery team is much different than a 4-1 lead in the playoffs.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

The problem was, they went up 4-1 to easy, didnt got going. Nucks was harmless at 3 pp, of Course a team behind have more possession, but it wasnt dangerous, 2 bad bounces and some stinkers happened and to late for a comeback.

Thats an Oilers problem. Most teams can win with 4-1 lead in playoffs

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

The problem was, they went up 4-1 to easy, didnt got going. Nucks was harmless at 3 pp, of Course a team behind have more possession, but it wasnt dangeraus, 2 bad bounces and some stinkers happened and to late for a comeback.

Canucks took over when it was 2-0.
Again you choose to use an excuse of why things went the way they did instead of just saying the nucks defence did a hell of a job shutting them down.
Trust me I get what you mean by sitting back, nucks do it masterfully but at 4-2 going into the third, I didn't see them sitting back opposed to the nucks win all the draws, all the battles while playing to what makes us good.

Reactions: Hammer79 and JAK

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

That was the problem? Not that they didn't have an answer for the Canucks D and 3rd line?

I was seeing hard angle shots and wrap around attempts on Skinner tonight. That might be the book they have on him.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They won't have the cap space to sign all those guys with raises, even with Myers coming off the books. The problem with a lot of guys having career years in contract years.

The same applies to the Oilers. They’ve intentionally took a 3.45M cap hit next year due to overages this year.

3.45M (or more if the Oilers advance and Perry gets more bonuses) dead cap in Draisaitl’s final year of his contract just to go for it this year.

Reactions: Artemi Panarin

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The same applies to the Oilers. They’ve intentionally took a 3.45M cap hit next year due to overages this year.

3.45M (or more if the Oilers advance and Perry gets more bonuses) dead cap in Draisaitl’s final year of his contract just to go for it this year.

Oilers have Campbell and Nurse's contract to look at for years, nothing else really matters at this point.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
So what you are saying is that the Oilers were lucky and PDO frauds?

It's funny when it's the Oilers who are ahead, it finally makes sense to Oilers fans that the teams behind tends to have more shots, yet they call the Canucks PDO frauds all season.

The issue was how the Oilers played though, had they kept any kind of pressure up, they could have skated it to a win. This is round 2 of the playoffs, 8 teams left, any team still playing deserves to be still playing.

A 4-1 lead on a lottery team is much different than a 4-1 lead in the playoffs.
Both teams looked flat out there, that 4-1 lead made Oilers back off. But mainly Oilers beat them self with that goalie melt Down and lazy D.

The skating wasnt there other then the last 2 minutes , when it was to late.

A strange and bad game overall.

Skinner need to step up and Oilers need to start skating and not sleeping on leads.

Se will see in game 2!

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Canucks were the superior 5on5 team all night (1st was prob a saw-off, but that was it for EDM). With 4:20 remaining in the game EDM had only registered 3 shots in the 2nd+3rd combined. Vancouver had more goals in the same time frame.

With Demko in net the Oilers probably don't even get as close as they did tbh, nvm Ian Cole's blunders.

That said EDM's special teams was dominant - 100% vs Vancouver's at 0% - that'll be a big problem going forward. Canucks were pretty disciplined tonight (prob could've got called for 1 more penalty) but overall earned the advantage in PP's with their superior even strength play.

I do expect the Oilers to come back significantly better in game 2, though I didn't think the Canucks managed the puck all that well & Silovs had his worst game of the season, so room for improvement from Van too.

Series is just getting started folks, looking forward to Friday.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
That was the problem? Not that they didn't have an answer for the Canucks D and 3rd line?

I was seeing hard angle shots and wrap around attempts on Skinner tonight. That might be the book they have on him.
Sure they throw at Stu from everywhere and it was stinkers who went in, also from Silows.

Think the problem was that they sat on a lead they got so easy. They never got their skating going.

When the pucks went in late in the 3rd it was script to go this way, it was a meltdown, its hard to change gears when you havent needed it true 2 and half periods.

A bad playoff game overall, no intense or tempo how the game developed and horrible goaltending.

I expect a much faster game next one.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
@Summer Rose

You dont sleeping yet? The turnaround gave you adrenalin.😀

Slept from about 1:30-4:30 eastern time. The energy drink I had before the game didn't keep me up but my sleep meds wore off presumably. I almost went to bed when it was 4-1... but I'm glad I didn't! It was a game for the ages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad