Speculation: After all this shuffling, who stays and who goes?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really like him as a player but I think he still has things to learn in the AHL, whereas I don't think that's the case for GranMa and Gaudreau. It pains me to send him down, but in my opinion he is the least NHL-ready of the prospects we have called up right now.

At the same time, though, as many in this thread have pointed out, there is a high chance we'll never be icing a totally healthy roster this year, so he could probably stay up by default.

I disagree about Jooris. He plays a complete game and translated very well into the NHL.

I'd love to see a line of:
Byron - Backs - Jooris
When Backlund's healthy. I think that'd be a very defensively sound like, you could play against other teams big lines, but that could also put up some points offensively.

I think Sven & Ferland are the two guys that are almost certainly odd-men out. I honestly think that Calgary needs to swing a forward into trying to pry a young dman out of somewhere; because we have a few too many forwards when everyone's healthy... and the majority of them have shown they belong in the NHL.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really like him as a player but I think he still has things to learn in the AHL, whereas I don't think that's the case for GranMa and Gaudreau. It pains me to send him down, but in my opinion he is the least NHL-ready of the prospects we have called up right now.

At the same time, though, as many in this thread have pointed out, there is a high chance we'll never be icing a totally healthy roster this year, so he could probably stay up by default.

I'd rather ice Jooris and keep Bollig as the 13th.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sven out- he's too inconsistent. His play away from the puck is still not at an NHL level. And he turns the puck over and loses puck battles too much. His great vision doesn't make-up for the deficiencies in the rest of his game.

Jooris- NHLer, just needs to keep playing well and keep proving himself. He stays.

Granlund- he needs to get stronger. But damn is he impressive. Isn't very flashy but wow is he intelligent. I think he's proven he can play at the NHL level. He stays.

Ferland- I have just been so impressed with this guy. Watching the Anaheim game last night, seeing Jackman take cheep shots at Gaudreau, made me think this could be the prospect that helps us as much as anyone this year. I think he goes down but he's still ahead of Sven on the depth chart.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wish we could've seen more from Ferland, but better to take it slow and get him ready to go again in Adirondack.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hartley says that as soon as he's back into game speed, he'll be in the lineup. My guess is for Bart unless he can play the right side.

Even if Ferland plays another game or two up here, I would have loved to see a lot more games. Dumb injury to cause by Volchenkov.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Pittsburgh will be desperate for a winger with Dupuis going down. I'd consider Jones or Glencross if we could get good value. We'll trade them one, then when they get injured we'll trade them the other one too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pittsburgh will be desperate for a winger with Dupuis going down. I'd consider Jones or Glencross if we could get good value. We'll trade them one, then when they get injured we'll trade them the other one too.

You made me breathe through my nose faster than normal.:D

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My thoughts:

I think we will have 2 or more forwards hurt at all times the rest of the way.

I see it as:

Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Gaudreau - Backlund - Hudler
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Jooris - Bollig

Granlund & Byron as injury replacements
Baertschi as first injury recall
McGrattan & Setoguchi as emergency replacements when there is no time for a recall or injury/illness is not bad enough for IR. Otherwise they will be ehalthy scratches.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be totally cool with trading GlenX for Dumoulin and a 3rd.

Make it happen Burliving.

That'd be a good trade for both teams. In my opinion.

Glenny can't hold the offense down when he's looked to as a leader in that regard (in his best seasons, he got Iggy, Tangs, Cammy, etc to take that burder). He'd be a great fit in Pittsburgh.

Flames have too many bodies up front when everyone's healthy. Keeping in mind we have another 3-4 kids in the AHL knocking on the door (not including our already AHL stacked team in the NHL now). I don't want to give Glenny the money he'll be looking for when he goes to FA this offseason, because I don't think he's worth it anymore.

I'd be very happy with that kind of return. Make it happen!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd be totally cool with trading GlenX for Dumoulin and a 3rd.

Make it happen Burliving.

I would also like to see something like this happen, specifically when the injured guys return, assuming Glencross will waive.

Unpopular opinion but I also wouldn't mind selling Byron when his value is high. With Burke saying he wants the team to get bigger and Treliving almost certainly subscribing to a similar ideology, it's only a matter of time until Bryon's squeezed out because of the numbers game. And since he is very much an NHL'er, he deserves to get an opportunity somewhere.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I would also like to see something like this happen, specifically when the injured guys return, assuming Glencross will waive.

Unpopular opinion but I also wouldn't mind selling Byron when his value is high. With Burke saying he wants the team to get bigger and Treliving almost certainly subscribing to a similar ideology, it's only a matter of time until Bryon's squeezed out because of the numbers game. And since he is very much an NHL'er, he deserves to get an opportunity somewhere.

Personally, I hope we don't move Byron unless there's six better top-nine wingers than him. The way he's playing right now, and the way he can play in all situations and in all three forward positions, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Besides that, I feel like he matches well with both Hartley's ideology and Burke's ideology. He's fast, smart, hard-working, tough, physical and hard to play against. There's no reason Burke would have a problem with him. He's as truculent as they come.

And in addition to that, I worry about moving him because I feel that his value to our team will always wildly exceed the value that other teams would attach to him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I keep asking myself this and never find a great answer, which team out there do you think would be a good fit for Byron?

Columbus, Dallas and the Jets would be at the top of my list.

dscott

Mar 1, 2014
I kind of expect some kind of trade to move one of our older forwards once everyone gets back up to health. Maybe they move Jones (if someone will take him), or Hudler? I don't know. I just know there's a ton of guys knocking right now that are deserving of staying up here.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Personally, I hope we don't move Byron unless there's six better top-nine wingers than him. The way he's playing right now, and the way he can play in all situations and in all three forward positions, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Besides that, I feel like he matches well with both Hartley's ideology and Burke's ideology. He's fast, smart, hard-working, tough, physical and hard to play against. There's no reason Burke would have a problem with him. He's as truculent as they come.

And in addition to that, I worry about moving him because I feel that his value to our team will always wildly exceed the value that other teams would attach to him.

I think they're rapidly reaching that point. If they wait until he's on the fourth line or in the press box, it'd be that much harder to trade him. And he shouldn't be in either of those positions since he's more than capable of handling third line duties already.

I keep asking myself this and never find a great answer, which team out there do you think would be a good fit for Byron?

Columbus, Dallas and the Jets would be at the top of my list.

I think he would thrive offensively in the east. I agree with Columbus and Dallas, but would also include the Penguins and Lightening.

Maybe expand the deal to Dumoulin+2nd for Glencross+Byron.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think they're rapidly reaching that point. If they wait until he's on the fourth line or in the press box, it'd be that much harder to trade him. And he shouldn't be in either of those positions since he's more than capable of handling third line duties already.

I don't think we're as close to that point as you think. I'd say exactly two wingers have proven themselves to be more useful to this team than Paul Byron (Gaudreau and Hudler) and with that there are games where Byron is the most effective of the three of them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I think he would thrive offensively in the east. I agree with Columbus and Dallas, but would also include the Penguins and Lightening.

Maybe expand the deal to Dumoulin+2nd for Glencross+Byron.

I was thinking the Pens to, they play a very up tempo system as well. I think he would work in Tampa but they have so many forwards already, I don't know if they could fit him in. With Dupuis out now, maybe it's a good time to make a deal?

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I kind of expect some kind of trade to move one of our older forwards once everyone gets back up to health. Maybe they move Jones (if someone will take him), or Hudler? I don't know. I just know there's a ton of guys knocking right now that are deserving of staying up here.

We'd need to take a salary dump back, which should increase our returns. There are lots of overpaid D-men that could sit in the press box.

If Hudler keeps this pace up though, he could probably return a 1st round pick. I think it's genius to sign a UFA and then flip him for futures a few years later. That's how you rebuild. That's how we got Poirier and Smith in our system.

If we're outta the playoffs at the TDL I'd advocate trading Wideman (he'd get a great return at this rate), and then push hard for Mike Green in the off-season. He's probably looking at his hometown right now, thinking it'd be good to be home. He'd be at his best under Hartley's system, and I think we'd be the frontrunner if he doesn't re-sign.

I think we have to consider these moves because I don't believe the rebuild is over. People have a point when they bring up possession numbers, PDO, whatever the hell that is. We're not winning the Cup this year. And we're showing promise of being a good team, but there's no promise of being a great team; like the Hawks or Kings. We have to keep building for the future.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I don't think we're as close to that point as you think. I'd say exactly two wingers have proven themselves to be more useful to this team than Paul Byron (Gaudreau and Hudler) and with that there are games where Byron is the most effective of the three of them.

I’d fit one Mr. Lance Bouma into that conversation.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

That's stretching things but regardless, there's more to it that just that. Raymond was just signed, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Jones' salary is useful for reaching the cap floor, especially if the team looks to move Glencross/Stajan/Smid. Plus, his frequent injuries provide an excellent opportunity for prospects to step in.

Jooris is essentially a bigger version of Byron. Then, there's the likes of Granlund, Ferland, Baertschi, Bennett, and Poirier basically competing for that last one or two spots. Byron may be better than most of those guys right now but his potential definitely is not. And some of those guys are probably going to have to be moved as well just to get playing time.

I could see the argument for Byron over Colborne, but the latter has size, which again, is what the Burliving want.

And for the fourth line, Bollig was brought in for toughness, size and cup pedigree. Highly unlikely he's moved but even in the case he is, it just means someone like him will take his place. Bouma brings a little more size, toughness and shot blocking.

Edit: Only way I see the team could keep Byron is if Hartley would actually listen to what he says and roll four lines throughout the game with Bollig as the 13th forward.

I was thinking the Pens to, they play a very up tempo system as well. I think he would work in Tampa but they have so many forwards already, I don't know if they could fit him in. With Dupuis out now, maybe it's a good time to make a deal?

Yes, well, as soon as two of Raymond/Backlund/Colborne come back.
Dupuis's apparently out for at least the next six months.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad