Speculation: After all this shuffling, who stays and who goes?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Sven was horri-awful tonight. He doesn't deserve to be on this team over guys like Granlund, Ferland, or Jooris.
I could see us dropping the Gooch too.
No idea really who else we would let go.

I don't know if he was horrible, but he wasn't a stand out player either. Just didn't do anything in the time he played. I would send him down once people get healthy again.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sven wasn't terrible by any stretch. I'd only say that a player was if he cost the team goals or took bad penalties.

Here's my thing with Seto. I don't think he's been playing bad, but I also don't think he's been good in the sense that he's not doing anything to stand out either. Whenever he gets in the lineup he just plays a safe game so he doesn't make any mistakes. So while he's working hard and not hurting us, he's not really providing much more than a body in our lineup. I'd much rather see that spot go to someone that has a future with this team.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Seto is still barely playing even with the injuries, only reason not to have him is if we feel we only need 1 forward to dress even less in McGratton. Won't change anything for the young players if we drop him without cutting back on Ern big time as well to open up a real spot. As a plus he's playing harder in these last 2 games and looks like he's buying-in which means management wont simply dump him.

Churros is in a position where the forward core is unlikely to be 100% healthy once you get your first couple injuries, so while we're below that he can and will stick around and expect that to last a couple months.

Granlund looks great, and it's getting to a point where as much as everyone thinks at some point the <6' guy might switch to wing; he isn't going to switch to wing. So when our centre depth has Backlund, Money, and Stajan it'll depend on whether or not he can push Stajan to the 4th line, but I like his chances as Bouma, Byron, and Colborne seem to all get moved to the wing first chance we get so a 4th centre is needed.

Ferland, unfortunately, like Sven was vs Gaudreau is now in a fight vs Churros for ice time and Josh has been both productive and versatile; while Ferland has looked simply solid. So I think he's going to go down with Colborne and Jones both in.

Sven was pretty invisible yesterday but stood out on a couple plays. In his own zone he looked to throw the body even if it didn't result in any big hits and stayed tight to his man forcing the Habs to attack from Bollig's side (Really the only bad Flames player last night). In the offensive zone he was gripping his stick pretty tight but still managed to set himself up for a nice shot late in the game. Right now it would be great to see some confidence in his game at the NHL level but he can't be a full-time player until he shows that I like him in a first to be called up situation.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It still kind of bothers me we extended Stajan on a 4 year deal. A 2 year deal? Sure. But by the time we hit his 3rd year on that contract, he'll probably be our 4th line center at best. Maybe even a 13th/14th.

Aug 21, 2014
It still kind of bothers me we extended Stajan on a 4 year deal. A 2 year deal? Sure. But by the time we hit his 3rd year on that contract, he'll probably be our 4th line center at best. Maybe even a 13th/14th.

He's our version of Chris Kelly, good bottom 6'er but paid maybe a bit too much.

Send Gooch down, scratching him didn't fire him up. Send Byron back to the AHL. And scratch Big Ern I guess. That would leave us with 14 forwards.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Odd men out are probably:
Guch, Sven, Ferland in that order.
Granny goes back once the entire center depth is healthy, although I think he's more valuable in the NHL than Byron.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Gaudreau - Granlund - Hudler
Raymond - Monahan - Colborne
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Bollig - Bouma - Byron/Jooris
*McGrattan

It appears as though it would come down to being between Jooris and Byron, and as much as I love Byron's game, I really feel like Jooris would be in ahead of him. I'd personally prefer to take Jones out, and put Jooris with GlenX and Stajan to keep Byron in there.. It's not as though Seto has been completely terrible, but he is definitely the odd man out imo.

Edit: Ferland and Sven would both be sent back down to Addy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Odd men out are probably:
Guch, Sven, Ferland in that order.
Granny goes back once the entire center depth is healthy, although I think he's more valuable in the NHL than Byron.

I really like Granlund, he's such a cerebral and smart player. If you give him any room in the offensive zone, or if the defence has a breakdown for even a couple of seconds he'll make you pay. He's also a very good finisher, reminds me of Cammalleri.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really like Granlund, he's such a cerebral and smart player. If you give him any room in the offensive zone, or if the defence has a breakdown for even a couple of seconds he'll make you pay. He's also a very good finisher, reminds me of Cammalleri.

I agree. I guarantee we'll see him play until Stajan comes back. Slightly OT, but have you guys noticed how well Monahan has stepped up to the plate as our #1 center while others recover? I think that is a great sight to see.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Yeah, offensive instincts, as well as IQ don't come by as often as we'd like on Calgary.

He should be here even as LW, we have too many stone handed wingers... Not exactly what we want on a team.

Wouldn't mind seeing him and Johnny with Backs down the middle. That'd be slick.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013

Yeah I was thinking 3 years max, but he's still somewhat useful. Seto hasn't been noteworthy either way but he only has one year at minimum. The bad contracts are Engelland and Bollig, who has 3 more years and are already looking like they won't last and just occupy a roster spot over a young guy. They're just capfloor guys at the moment.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah I was thinking 3 years max, but he's still somewhat useful. Seto hasn't been noteworthy either way but he only has one year at minimum. The bad contracts are Engelland and Bollig, who has 3 more years and are already looking like they won't last and just occupy a roster spot over a young guy. They're just capfloor guys at the moment.

I disagree. If you remember what Treliving said, he was ensuring that these 3 year deals are not long term by any means and these two guys can fight and can play much better hockey than McGrattan. Stajan on the other hand is a great center, but the problem is we have too many centers already, and our prospects are going to graduate and eventually take his spot too.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I disagree. If you remember what Treliving said, he was ensuring that these 3 year deals are not long term by any means and these two guys can fight and can play much better hockey than McGrattan. Stajan on the other hand is a great center, but the problem is we have too many centers already, and our prospects are going to graduate and eventually take his spot too.

McGrattan pretty much comes at a nothing price and is UFA after this year, and he doesn't even play a position of prospects that are graduating (RW). 3 Years is not longterm, but considering how fast guys are graduating... and how overpaid those bencnwarmers are. I 'm believer in 2 years max for plugs/goons, 3 is too much.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
So... Raymond, Colborne, Backlund will almost certainly get a roster spot back. It's looking harder and harder as time goes on to send Granlund and Jooris back. Heck if Bartschi keeps getting an opportunity/keeps improving he could stay as well. Jones is another injury to watch for, if it's longterm and no one is ready to go another person could get called up.

This is going to be interesting and confusing...

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Glencross - Monahan - Jones
Raymond - Backlund - Colborne
Bouma - Stajan - Byron
Jooris - McGrattan

trade Setoguchi, call up Sven first

Steven

May 10, 2009
Bouma - Stajan - Byron
Jooris - McGrattan

I don't see him garnering anything whatsoever on the market. There's really no need to trade him anyways. His contract is peanuts and it's up at the end of the season. Let him kick around the press box and fill in for injuries, maybe waive/demote him if need be.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Bouma - Stajan - Byron
Jooris - McGrattan

Jones might be out depending on the injury. Would be surprised if Backlund doesn't get his role as 1C back...(though they really don't have a 1st line..) Wouldn't mind having Gaudreau-Monahan regularly, and re-unite with Colborne on RW. The thing is there will ALWAYS be someone injured so it will be interesting. Seto is as good as gone. I'm not a fan of Bollig but he'll stay, McGrattan is also only useful in niche situations.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Bouma - Stajan - Byron
Jooris - McGrattan

Gillies32! I was starting to think you fell off the face of the Earth, lol How have you been, bae?

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
I sat and tried potential lineups for when everyone gets back. Remember it's always earned never given.

Here are your players, who do you trade, waive to the minors, call up?

Pushing for a callup from Addy

Poirier
Hanowski
Arnold

Current forward lineup as of todays game against Ottawa

Gaudreau
Bouma
Jones
Glencross
Monahan
Hudler
Bollig
Baertschi
Byron
Reinhart
Granlund
Jooris

Injured or in pressbox

Ferland
Setoguchi
McGratten
Colborne
Raymond
Backlund
Stajan

I think you have to start with what roles you need filled.

Top 2 lines and powerplay guys?
Penalty killers?
Energy guys?

So who makes the cut?

Current Centers

1.Monahan
2.Granlund
3.Jooris
4.Reinhart

Where do you slot Backlund and Stajan? Would you move Jooris or Granlund to wing and send Reinhart down or do you trade one of Backlund or Stajan?

Current LW as of tonights game

1.Glencross
2.Gaudreau
3.Baertschi
4.Bollig

Current RW as of tonights game

1.Jones
2.Hudler
3.Byron
4.Bouma

Obviously lots of our players that play RW could also play LW.

Where do you slot Raymond and Colborne? Do you call up Poirier if he keeps producing and give him a shot? What about Ferland when he gets back? Jones was injured tonight (not sure of the severity) but was playing pretty good lately, what do you do with him?

Here's my attempt at a healthy January lineup if everyone is back. I think you could easily roll all 4 lines and give them fairly equal minutes. Lots of speed.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Colborne
Ferland-Granlund-Poirier (Jones if Poirier is not called up)
Bouma-Backlund-Hudler
Baertschi-Jooris-Byron (Raymond replaces Baertschi if he starts struggling again before January. If Baertschi is good Raymond is traded for really good defense prospect)

Stajan McGrattan

Trade Bollig and Glencross (if he would waive the NMC)

Your turn, what would you do for a lineup?

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Your turn, what would you do for a lineup?

Trade offense for defense. To get an actual good young D-man like Ellis/Larsson/Gormley we'd have to give up a guy like Sven/Granlund/Colborne but I think a trade like that needs to be made. Johnny is off limits though.

If a Glencross for futures trade is available then do it but I'd hesitate moving the other vets just yet.

Seto and Diaz go to Adirondack.

Both goalies stay as long as a playoff spot is in sight. If the wheels fall off deal Ramo at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad