Speculation: After all this shuffling, who stays and who goes?

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
This talk about a trade away for Byron: Perhaps it's better to trade him in the near future rather than years down the road? He fits into this team like a glove, but I see him as someone who will be the most expendable when several of our winger prospects graduate from the minors. Like someone said before, Byron's probably going to be the one who suffers the most from the numbers game, and it might only be a matter of time until the decline of the level of production and play that he's demonstrating at the moment. Trade him soon while his value is at its highest, preferably to address a need on that mobile, puck-moving defenseman who will play on the 3rd pairing.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd actually prefer to keep Byron. He's insanely hard working, and keeping him around will be a reminder to everyone else how much effort can achieve. He can play either wing or center, and is versatile enough that he can play multiple roles.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is it bad that I was correct about this?
yes, because it made me wrong

bad FFF, bad!

Steven

May 10, 2009
Count me out for trading Byron. He brings a spark to the bottom-six and his speedy game and non-stop motor is something this team should covet moving forward. I also believe that even once our prospects start making the jump, he would be a good fit on the 4th line. I'd rather see Byron fill that role than have a developing prospect put in it.

Same reason I think we should hang onto Setoguchi for the season. He can fill in on the bottom line so that young developing players don't have to play 7 minutes a night, or sit in the press box if/when there are enough other healthy bodies. Just stop playing him on the PP… Right-hand shot or not, the guy just can't generate offence anymore.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Reinhart is back in Adirondack, Jones is off the IR I think. If Russell becomes a player on the IR, maybe we are making room to recall Wotherspoon?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not surprised, Reinhart has been good, but Sven, Granlund and FerDaddy have all stood out much more.

It sucks for prospects that are NHL ready like Reinhart, who are in an organization that has a surplus of C's. Reinhart would be a good bottom 6 center for a team that could use him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Reinhart barely played while up here. Averaged 8:05 over four games. At least Adirondack will get a boost.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Reinhart is back in Adirondack, Jones is off the IR I think. If Russell becomes a player on the IR, maybe we are making room to recall Wotherspoon?
pure speculation that Jones is coming of IR with zero evidence. It makes more sense that they are calling up a defenseman in case Russell can't play.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
pure speculation that Jones is coming of IR with zero evidence. It makes more sense that they are calling up a defenseman in case Russell can't play.

Yeah, would Wotherspoon be called up before Potter? If so, this would excite me, considering how well Wotherspoon played last year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Doesn't sound like Russell's going to be out for too long

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Couple updates from Hartley...Russell and Jones are uncertain for tomorrow vs. NJ, but not ruled out. Russell closer to returning. #Flames

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Wes Gilbertson ‏@SUNGilbertson 4m4 minutes ago
#Flames have recalled C Corban Knight from AHL Adirondack. Poor Ben Hanowski has now lost two roomies. Josh Jooris' room has been empty.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wes Gilbertson ‏@SUNGilbertson 4m4 minutes ago
#Flames have recalled C Corban Knight from AHL Adirondack. Poor Ben Hanowski has now lost two roomies. Josh Jooris' room has been empty.

Interesting. Was not expecting to see Knight up before the deadline.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought Arnold would come up before Knight.
Knight is older, has a taste of the NHL under his belt already. He has been playing more of a defensive role than Arnold and is better on faceoffs. I think this will be for the #4C spot. Knight is much better suited for that role than Reinhart was IMO.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
hmmmm....something's gotta give at the forward position.

I see it as:

Raymond - backlund - hudler
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Glencross - Granlund - jooris
Bouma - stajan - Byron

Bollig, jones, mcgrattan, setoguchi as injury replacements? I'd send down seto / waive him. Have to assume we are going to trade a left handed forward at some point for another dman. Baertschi belongs in the ahl right now. Love his skill, but he needs to learn how to drive the play more. Top ahl minutes should help.

That's 4 solid lines going forward. Hope we keep rolling after last nights huge game!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad