Adam Larsson-Scratched?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah I'd be much less concerned had he stayed in during the playoff run after playing quite well. Honestly, whether someone is being showcased for a trade or not, I just think Pete doesn't much like him. He thinks Harrold and the others that are playing are better options and is only concerned with winning right now. I don't think he's much concerned with developing Larsson. Like he doesn't feel like dealing with the inevitable growing pains.

Is that irrational? Probably. It's probably unlikely that this is true but it's just a bad feeling I get. And I know I'd be pissed if I were Larsson. Took a measly salary with no bonuses on a two way contract as a favor to Lou and is being rewarded with a seat in the stands.

acadds5

Nov 2, 2011
Ontario
Yeah I'd be much less concerned had he stayed in during the playoff run after playing quite well. Honestly, whether someone is being showcased for a trade or not, I just think Pete doesn't much like him. He thinks Harrold and the others that are playing are better options and is only concerned with winning right now. I don't think he's much concerned with developing Larsson. Like he doesn't feel like dealing with the inevitable growing pains.

Is that irrational? Probably. It's probably unlikely that this is true but it's just a bad feeling I get. And I know I'd be pissed if I were Larsson. Took a measly salary with no bonuses on a two way contract as a favor to Lou and is being rewarded with a seat in the stands.

I've thought the same thing!

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You jest but it is kinda sad that the kid played well for us down the stretch including much of the playoffs and nobody really gives a **** if he ever plays a game this year :p: I'd have rather seen him get the eight plus minutes Anderson got tonight as a fill-in up front just to get his feet wet again, hell they could have also used him on the second PP the way they did during the postseason last year.

Agree, Harrold played well as a fwd in the playoffs. Given our fwd situation(and I'm assuming Matteau is sent down) I'm all for giving him some time up front.

And note, this is not a panic post. Just a thought.

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY

Lou runs the show not Pete. I don't buy it for a second that he would sit back and let his #1 draft pick go to waste. There has to be a valid reason why Larson isn't in the line up and has not been sent back to Albany. I really think there's a trade coming soon.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And I said it the other day, given that Larsson has already played a near half season in Albany(games we, for the most part, did not watch) this is probably more frustrating for the fans then it is for him.

It's actually probably good for him to get a break right now, recharge the batteries, watch the game from above, have Stevens whisper some sweet nothings.

But the logjam, and the seemingly unavoidable trades to be(and the showcasing of players that go with it), are the main reason for Larsson bench riding.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Well the playoffs is no time to deal with growing pains. Not from a 19 yr old defensemen. And we can now say that Deboer handled the playoff rotations very well.

I think the current situation is much different. This is merely biding time till a trade happens. If Larsson is not a fill timer come this playoffs i'll be very surprised.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Lou runs the show not Pete. I don't buy it for a second that he would sit back and let his #1 draft pick go to waste. There has to be a valid reason why Larson isn't in the line up and has not been sent back to Albany. I really think there's a trade coming soon.

Lou isn't going to tell DeBoer who to dress and who to scratch. One thing is for certain is that both guys worked together and the decision to sit Larsson was discussed before hand.

Lou probably gave Pete his "approval" but Lou won't tell his coach "Ok, today you'll dress him and him and we'll keep him and him out of the lineup".

acadds5

Nov 2, 2011
Ontario

That would make sense, but why would you sit your superstar? Give him a few more games in the AHL, so he's playing, until the trade of course! Wouldn't that make more sense?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That would make sense, but why would you sit your superstar? Give him a few more games in the AHL, so he's playing, until the trade of course! Wouldn't that make more sense?

For a couple weeks, in what is midseason for him, it might actually be better for him to sit and watch the big club.

And I read on hear that Larsson said something about the lack of cohesiveness in Albany. So playing down there might not provide the positive experience one would expect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

It's a no doubter.

Jersey Mike

Oct 20, 2009
Trade coming? Yea most likely. Lou needs to show his tradebait like a showcase on the Price is Right. We all know Larsson isn't going anywhere. But Greene, Harrold, Tallinder or Volch probably are. And with roughly 14mil in cap space it gives Lou the flexabilty to do a lot.

acadds5

Nov 2, 2011
Ontario
For a couple weeks, in what is midseason for him, it might actually be better for him to sit and watch the big club.

And I read on hear that Larsson said something about the lack of cohesiveness in Albany. So playing down there might not provide the positive experience one would expect.

I guess, but wouldn't he prefer playing compared to sitting?

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I guess, but wouldn't he prefer playing compared to sitting?

Depends what your view is on player development.

Would Larsson be more beneficial going back to Albany and getting the playing time he needs or would he be more beneficial to participate in NHL practice, sitting in on NHL film sessions and watching NHL games from the press box.

Pros and cons to either side but in order to move some guys via trade, they need to be playing. Larsson is the one untouchable on defence I would say so sitting him in favour of showcasing others for trade is ok with me.

The main thing I'm concerned with is not so much Larsson playing, but is he developing? Is he listening to Stevens and other coaches and implementing things he sees from the press box and film sessions into games?

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
Lou isn't going to tell DeBoer who to dress and who to scratch. One thing is for certain is that both guys worked together and the decision to sit Larsson was discussed before hand.

Lou probably gave Pete his "approval" but Lou won't tell his coach "Ok, today you'll dress him and him and we'll keep him and him out of the lineup".

This is obviously an effort to show case defenseman as trade bait.
As far as him not playing for Albany makes me think a trade is around the corner.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Not sure if the trade possibilities are the reason he's not in, but once you scratch one of the other 6 guys, that guy loses value.

dont scratch the guy you are showcasing. also, dont scratch the future 'cornerstone' of our whole team for no reason whatsoever. pretty simple.

itll be funny when (hopefully IF) larsson jumps ship and everyone's pointing fingers at why. keep this kid happy, make our team better simultaneously- LET. HIM. PLAY.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Trade coming? Yea most likely. Lou needs to show his tradebait like a showcase on the Price is Right. We all know Larsson isn't going anywhere. But Greene, Harrold, Tallinder or Volch probably are. And with roughly 14mil in cap space it gives Lou the flexabilty to do a lot.

Especially if we lose one of those contracts like +3 million of Tallinder's. That sounds pretty good.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I think it's silly to say there's only one thing at play here. Larsson is sitting for a few reasons. A defenseman is going to be traded. It might not even be this season. Having 8 NHL defenseman might grind some gears, but right now it's HUGE insurance if we're talking about another cup run.

Also, I think it's fair to say that Pete likes players he can trust. Larsson hasn't reached that level of comfort with Pete, and that works out anyway because now he can rest and still learn from some great mentors. If you watched him play in Albany, he doesn't need to be there. Not anymore.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
We have essentially 9 of them, **** the insurance Eggers, that`s too much no matter how you spin it.

And yes, I agree it`s a combination of factors.

dont scratch the guy you are showcasing. also, dont scratch the future 'cornerstone' of our whole team for no reason whatsoever. pretty simple.

itll be funny when (hopefully IF) larsson jumps ship and everyone's pointing fingers at why. keep this kid happy, make our team better simultaneously- LET. HIM. PLAY.
If we`re showcasing Volch/Tally, that`s what you get.

You can`t scratch either Fayne or Greene and certainly not the captain.

It`s a dead end.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I think it's silly to say there's only one thing at play here. Larsson is sitting for a few reasons. A defenseman is going to be traded. It might not even be this season. Having 8 NHL defenseman might grind some gears, but right now it's HUGE insurance if we're talking about another cup run.

Also, I think it's fair to say that Pete likes players he can trust. Larsson hasn't reached that level of comfort with Pete, and that works out anyway because now he can rest and still learn from some great mentors. If you watched him play in Albany, he doesn't need to be there. Not anymore.

I don't care how you cut it, we aren't going on a playoff run with the depth we have at the moment on offense... just ain't happening.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It would be a total misuse of assets to keep all eight through the trade deadline, I don't even think it needs to wait that long.

And if Pete's so iffy on Larsson he's still got Harrold in the bullpen. I don't understand how you go from 25 minutes a night as an 18-year old to being in the doghouse as a 19-year old though, that seems to be going from one extreme to another.

apice3*

I don't care how you cut it, we aren't going on a playoff run with the depth we have at the moment on offense... just ain't happening.

:laugh: I agree and we will make a trade, but 90% of this board said the same thing verbatim regarding last year's defense,

apice3*

f Larsson leaves IN SIX YEARS MINIMUM, it has nothing to do with being benched for a week as a 19 year old.

As a 23 year old, I don't hold grudges over things people did to me as a junior in high school.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
again

lineup right now means jack. get back to me on April 2nd after the trade deadline. I guarantee you it won't look the same.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

:laugh: I agree and we will make a trade, but 90% of this board said the same thing verbatim regarding last year's defense,

Didn't you say the exact same thing but about our defense last year?

I did... and we added Zidlicky, didn't we not? We also gave Salvador some 'roids cause there's not one soul that would've guessed that he'd go on a "offensive tear" the way he did.

It's funny how certain posters can remember the slightess thing but can forget what happend just after those same comments :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad