Adam Larsson-Scratched?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Scratching Larsson to me makes no sense since he's on an ELC and still waivers-exempt---have him develop in Albany. (He played tonight with Fayne injured...but instead of scratching him, he should have been in Albany - and saving the Devils a good chunk of change too.)

You mean saving them 400k over a full season, well about 200k this entire season? He makes less than 1M and the replacement guy dressing in his place would be making $550k at least, if not more. Add to that he's probably going to dress at least 75% of the games so you're saving almost nothing.

He's played in 71 out of a possible 112 games since being drafted so I think he's developing at a very comfortable rate. He would have dressed for more but was injured for 10 games last year with a bad back.

As for this weekend, I doubt Pete makes him pay for a silly stick deflection. He looked good other than that and handled the outside speed well so I see improvement already. Scratching him this weekend would only shake what little confidence he might have gained so I would let him play a 4-6 game stretch before sitting him down or dressing 7 D.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
What exactly did Larsson do wrong on the 4th goal. I did not get a good look at it.

He deflected a soft shot by Streit. Brodeur would have saved it easily.

But still, that one mistake aside, he played a very good game in my eyes. Great pass before that first goal for us.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
Larsson was really good besides that deflection. I especially liked how he managed to keep puck in the offensive zone during some of his shifts.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Larsson was fine considering it was his first NHL game this season.

But my god that was a terrible play that resulted in a goal. Even Marty was shellshocked and didn't look happy at the time. It was just a light shot on net and Larsson was to the left of Marty. He decides to do something and reaches his stick out and ends up tipping it into the net. Bizarre

Jersey Mike

Oct 20, 2009
Larsson did look good last night. Congrats on his first goal of the season ;). Maybe the Devils should put him on the 2nd PP unit in front of the goalie? :D

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Larsson was really good besides that deflection. I especially liked how he managed to keep puck in the offensive zone during some of his shifts.

Besides your Husband getting shot how did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln? Thought he was average last night nothing more.Right now..and I only mean right now hes is our 7th D . Who is he better than?? . I truly hope he develops. I think he will be a solid D for his career but I see more Luke Schenn and not Erik Karlsson and he does not have any of that dynamic presence that Dougie Hamilton seems to possess.

Last edited:

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
You just compared Larsson to two young defensemen with completely different play styles

I did....and I did on purpose. We drafted Larsson with the idea he'd be the Karlsson, Hamilton type of player with a dymamic edge. I dont see that. I think he will become a solid player more in the Schenn mode. that was my point. Not that there is anything wrong with that but you can find Schenns its alot tougher to find karlssons. Maybe a better example for Larsson would be Tyler Myers. Good but not great.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
I did....and I did on purpose. We drafted Larsson with the idea he'd be the Karlsson, Hamilton type of player with a dymamic edge. I dont see that. I think he will become a solid player more in the Schenn mode. that was my point. Not that there is anything wrong with that but you can find Schenns its alot tougher to find karlssons. Maybe a better example for Larsson would be Tyler Myers. Good but not great.

I highly doubt we were drafting Larsson hoping he would become another player who was drafted 5 picks after him. Besides, no knock on Hamilton, but the kid has played 7 NHL games and we're already putting him on the level of Karlsson?

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
So great=dynamic? Okay. Is Lidstrom dynamic, Weber?

Yes..both are. Both have that presence on the ice. Teams have to game plan around both Webers offensive and defensive games and comparing anyone to NL just isnt fair.They both dominated the ice. Karlsson dominates the ice. I just havent seen anything YET that makes me think hes going to be that type of player and there is nothing wrong at all being Luke Schenn but i'm not sure thats the player we thought we drafted. Thats all

Last edited:

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
I highly doubt we were drafting Larsson hoping he would become another player who was drafted 5 picks after him. Besides, no knock on Hamilton, but the kid has played 7 NHL games and we're already putting him on the level of Karlsson?
Valid points on Hamilton, 7 games means little but when you watch him play he seems to have that it factor. Where EK was drafted has little relevance to the player he is now. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Devils86, Weber, Chara, Pronger, and Lidstrom were pretty dynamic at age 20, right? Insane that you're expecting him to dominate at this age. He has plenty of time to develop. He's gonna be a calm, cool, collected player who can make the outlet pass and play well positionally probably. He's not gonna blast home Weber-like goals, or rock people like Chara or Pronger. He's probably gonna be so sound positionally and with his stick that you won't notice him making the "wow" plays. I don't know what you were expecting with Larsson.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Hasn't Hamilton been paired with Chara too? I could look halfway decent playing with Zdeno.

I find it the opposite. Every team in the world is going to focus attacking you instead of one of if not best defender in the league. Hamilton looks great so far.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Devils86, Weber, Chara, Pronger, and Lidstrom were pretty dynamic at age 20, right? Insane that you're expecting him to dominate at this age. He has plenty of time to develop. He's gonna be a calm, cool, collected player who can make the outlet pass and play well positionally probably. He's not gonna blast home Weber-like goals, or rock people like Chara or Pronger. He's probably gonna be so sound positionally and with his stick that you won't notice him making the "wow" plays. I don't know what you were expecting with Larsson.

You just made my point...I agree with you totally. I think hes going to be just the player you described. I'm arguing that hes exactly who you said. People on this board think hes the next coming and i havent seen that. My entire point is hes not the type of player like EK and not quite the type(style not skill) of player many thought he was when he was drafted last year.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I thought Larsson played great last night. Every defender in the NHL would try and swat that soft shot that he deflected. Hoping he sticks in the lineup.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You just made my point...I agree with you totally. I think hes going to be just the player you described. I'm arguing that hes exactly who you said. People on this board think hes the next coming and i havent seen that. My entire point is hes not the type of player like EK and not quite the type(style not skill) of player many thought he was when he was drafted last year.

Just because you're not crushing people or blasting home goals doesn't mean you can't be getting 10 goals and 35-40 assists a year while playing excellent defense. That's still a "dynamic" player. That's what I expect from him. Maybe not now, but within the next 5 years. The guys I mentioned weren't at that level at age 20 either. It's dumb to say he can't be that kind of player, based on how he's been thus far. I fully expect him to be a top 10 defenseman in the league in his prime.

Oroku Saki*

Hamilton has been paired with Seidenberg, I believe. Just plays with Chara on the PP. I see 40-50pt potential in him. He's so fluid for his size and his vision is incredible. I see Larsson as a more all-around defenseman with an upside of 30-40pts.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Hamilton has been paired with Seidenberg, I believe. Just plays with Chara on the PP. I see 40-50pt potential in him. He's so fluid for his size and his vision is incredible. I see Larsson as a more all-around defenseman with an upside of 30-40pts.

I think you are selling Larsson short. He was a 20+ pt player as a 19 year old. I think he can easily have 50+ upside when he joins the PP.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
He's young, far away from his home country and life, and adjusting to the NHL.

Cut the kid some slack... He's already showing flashes of brilliance. He's going to get better.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
I don`t think he`s gonna consistently put up that many points. He`s a poor man`s Pietro and even he can`t get crazy numbers on a stacked team.

And I agree with tycobb, Larsson should put up more than 40p in his prime, on regular basis.

Oroku Saki*

I don`t think he`s gonna consistently put up that many points. He`s a poor man`s Pietro and even he can`t get crazy numbers on a stacked team.

And I agree with tycobb, Larsson should put up more than 40p in his prime, on regular basis.

I didn't mean every year but I think he'll be a threat to do so.

I hope Larsson is a high scoring defenseman but I just don't see a lot of offensive skill in him. He's so young so I'm not closing the book on him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad