Adam Larsson-Scratched?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Like I said in the other threads, this is only hurting Larsson long term and the team as well. Look at all the other young guns around the league, they're getting a chance to play and they're contributing. Larsson did fine as an 18 year old, I'm sure his game has improved one year later and its mind boggling that they're just wasting that potential in the press box.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Oh, this thread again.

Holy **** people he will play soon, DeBoer stated it. During the lockout our whole D was sitting on their couches eating funyuns while Larsson was playing in real games. The reason why he's out is everyone else needs to get up to speed, it's been 4 games for ****s sake.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Oh, this thread again.

Holy **** people he will play soon, DeBoer stated it. During the lockout our whole D was sitting on their couches eating funyuns while Larsson was playing in real games. The reason why he's out is everyone else needs to get up to speed, it's been 4 games for ****s sake.

Neither Volchenkov or Zidlicky were 'on their couches eating funyuns'. They were playing hockey too.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Whoops forgot about Volch, didn't know about Zids. Funny thing is they both have looked like **** so maybe my point is useless :laugh:

ZadorovNJD*

Oh, this thread again.

It's been five games now, so Larsson is officially ruined. Henrique hasn't played yet either, so his development has been permanently destroyed.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Adam Larsson has sat 21 out of the 87 regular season games played since he was drafted. Of those 21 games, 10 were due to a back injury suffered from a hit from PK Subban.

So that's 11 out of 87 games he's been a healthy scratch or 12.6% for those keeping score at home.

Scott Niedermayer, drafted 3rd overall played all of 4 games with the Devils his first eligible year and he turned out ok. Larsson has 56 NHL games on Nieds at the same point in their careers.

Bazinga.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Adam Larsson has sat 21 out of the 87 regular season games played since he was drafted. Of those 21 games, 10 were due to a back injury suffered from a hit from PK Subban.

So that's 11 out of 87 games he's been a healthy scratch or 12.6% for those keeping score at home.

Scott Niedermayer, drafted 3rd overall played all of 4 games with the Devils his first eligible year and he turned out ok. Larsson has 56 NHL games on Nieds at the same point in their careers.

Bazinga.

So what? Larsson is better than Volch and Zidlicky and maybe even Tallinder. It's not even a matter of stunting his growth it's that he gives us a better chance to win as well. He's not being treated right in my opinion.

onefatsurfer

I speak in code
Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Without having seen him play this year, I wouldn't say he is better than any of those players. Last year, he was not better than Tallinder, or Zidlicky. He plays a completely different style and is asked to do completely different things than Volch, so I won't compare the two at this time.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Do people remember how bad Larsson was when he came back from his injury last yr ? He was a traffic cone most nights. His spot work in the playoffs was solid though.

He's still practicing and learning from Scotty, similar approach to what Larry was doing with him at the end of last year.

I trust our coaches more than the armchair gm's here.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Henrique hasn't played yet either, so his development has been permanently destroyed.

yeah because thats the same.

hey when henrique gets healthy, lets bench him! then we can showcase anderson for a major trade!

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
So what? Larsson is better than Volch and Zidlicky and maybe even Tallinder. It's not even a matter of stunting his growth it's that he gives us a better chance to win as well. He's not being treated right in my opinion.

To be honest, I think Tallinder and Volchenkov have both looked pretty great so far this season. Certainly better than what I remember from last year. Tallinder's probably been our best defenseman at moving the puck up the ice over 4 games. That's the problem, really. It's a shortened season and Deboer really likes that he can role 6 guys that don't need to learn anything. Nobody looks bad yet except for Zidlicky and you need him for the power play. If anything, he's who I would sit for Larsson. Salvador and Volchenkov have both been money along the boards and Tallinder hasn't had any Tallinder moments yet. Greene and Fayne look good, so it's a waiting game for Larsson. He's been developing all season in the AHL. He can take a break.

hey when henrique gets healthy, lets bench him! then we can showcase anderson for a major trade!

Difference here is that even when Henrique is healthy, there'll still be two spots for someone like Anderson.

ZadorovNJD*

He's missed as many NHL games as Larsson this year, and nobody panics over his development.

Volchenkov is on our top PK unit and Zidlicky is on our top PP unit. They aren't sitting. Tallinder looks to be the odd man out, and I doubt they bench him when trying to trade him.

Edit: I would bench our Goon of the Night for Larsson though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Henrique also wasn't scratched for 19 playoff games either.

I'm sorry, this is not normal. If Larsson's being scratched for inefficiency then send him down. If he's being scratched because there's no room on the roster like we all assume, then this ain't about 'development', is it?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be honest, I think Tallinder and Volchenkov have both looked pretty great so far this season. Certainly better than what I remember from last year. Tallinder's probably been our best defenseman at moving the puck up the ice over 4 games. That's the problem, really. It's a shortened season and Deboer really likes that he can role 6 guys that don't need to learn anything. Nobody looks bad yet except for Zidlicky and you need him for the power play. If anything, he's who I would sit for Larsson. Salvador and Volchenkov have both been money along the boards and Tallinder hasn't had any Tallinder moments yet. Greene and Fayne look good, so it's a waiting game for Larsson. He's been developing all season in the AHL. He can take a break.

Difference here is that even when Henrique is healthy, there'll still be two spots for someone like Anderson.

Remember though with 8 defensemen though there won't be unless someone is on LTIR. Let's assume Matteau goes cause I really think he will. Then we sign Darche probably. There still would be room for a forward when Henrique gets back, but a defenseman will need to be on LTIR or traded.

I agree about Zidlicky though. He's been a cone even strength. I can't see him being sat though, but at even strength he's been really bad. He had that nice pass for Kovy's OT winner, but even our PP sucks with just the one man advantage.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
He's missed as many NHL games as Larsson this year, and nobody panics over his development.

Volchenkov is on our top PK unit and Zidlicky is on our top PP unit. They aren't sitting. Tallinder looks to be the odd man out, and I doubt they bench him when trying to trade him.

Edit: I would bench our Goon of the Night for Larsson though.

then bench volch. bench zid. bench our d men on a rotating basis. i dont care. but larsson needs to play. i have yet to read an acceptable argument as to why he should be in the press box. every. single. night.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm completely fine with DeBoer both on his decision to not start the season with Larsson AND his decision to not play him so long as the Devils are winning.

However, now that the Devils lost, I would play either Larsson or Harrold tonight (dont care which) in place of Greene or Fayne (who were both pretty terrible the other night). Tallinder and Salvador were also pretty terrible the other night, but I doubt you sit the veterans/Captain.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

One thing that has me scratching my head is why aren't we playing 7 d-men, 7 NHL caliber d-men, while benching Janssen/Barch and double shifting Kovy?

Wouldn't that be a better option then having a goon ride the pine for 55 minutes of a 60 minute game? Give Larsson Volchenkov's 5vs5 shifts and I honestly think we'd be a way better team then a goon on our 4th and #28 playing 5vs5. Maybe Lou's showcasing Janssen, you never know :sarcasm:

Just my 2 cents.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Henrique also wasn't scratched for 19 playoff games either.

I'm sorry, this is not normal. If Larsson's being scratched for inefficiency then send him down. If he's being scratched because there's no room on the roster like we all assume, then this ain't about 'development', is it?

All about practicing an hour with a hall of famer defenseman and eating pizza while watchin the game.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
One thing that has me scratching my head is why aren't we playing 7 d-men, 7 NHL caliber d-men, while benching Janssen/Barch and double shifting Kovy?

Wouldn't that be a better option then having a goon ride the pine for 55 minutes of a 60 minute game? Give Larsson Volchenkov's 5vs5 shifts and I honestly think we'd be a way better team then a goon on our 4th and #28 playing 5vs5. Maybe Lou's showcasing Janssen, you never know :sarcasm:

Just my 2 cents.

That's what I would do. We essentially play like we dress 7 d men anyway with the lack of minutes Janssen and Barch get. Why not have an extra d man? Have Larsson take some even strength shifts from Zids and Volch and even give Larsson some pp time to help Kovy get some rest from double shifting the whole game. It makes so much sense I don't see why we aren't doing it. How exactly will Janssen, Barch, or Anderson be helping us more than what I just outlined? It gives us the ability to sit a d man who's having a bad game as well. How are we not doing this? It's idiotic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad