Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
My opinion on possible acquiring top6 RW is that if Caps want to acquire someone like Kessel, Sharp, Oshie, Vrbata or Okposo, they would have to give up 1st round pick or top prospect (Bowey, Burakovsky, Vrána) or both. But I don't want to see it.

My best proposal from Capitals, which I would be willing to give up is something like this..

Brouwer/Johansson + B-prospect (Carrick/Barber/Galiev) + 3rd round pick (#62 overall)

..but what would Caps get for this proposal..I don't know

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
My opinion on possible acquiring top6 RW is that if Caps want to acquire someone like Kessel, Sharp, Oshie, Vrbata or Okposo, they would have to give up 1st round pick or top prospect (Bowey, Burakovsky, Vrána) or both. But I don't want to see it.

My best proposal from Capitals, which I would be willing to give up is something like this..

Brouwer/Johansson + B-prospect (Carrick/Barber/Galiev) + 3rd round pick (#62 overall)

..but what would Caps get for this proposal..I don't know

Realistic, but like you said what would we get and does it help in the immediate as well as long term future. We need to get away from strictly short term quick fix trades.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
So what hockey trades are out there to make...in terms of teams looking to move players just to move them?

I keep looking at Edmonton and someone like Purcell. Not ideal...but might not cost much to get him. Maybe get them to add Hendricks...I'd love to get him back.

Would the Wild move Niederreiter?

I'd pay good assets to get back both Gordon and Hendricks. Much better/cheaper options than our other bottom six rubbish -Fehr, Laich, Beagle.

If Niederreiter moves I'd be shocked. I'd be tempted by Coyle and a much lesser extent Vanek.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
There are plenty of ways people can bash Semin. Claiming he isn't talented is not one of them.

Not claiming he's not talented, I'm saying he isn't what he used to be, clearly, and it won't solve any issues for this team.

He is easily the most talented player in a Caps jersey the past 10 years not named Ovechkin, what are you talking about ?

My goodness, have people not watched Semin the past couple of years? The healthy scratches, lackadaisical effort, and injury-plagued past couple of years?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Bill Peters and a wrist injury don't make Semin washed up.

It kind of reminds me of the Green supporters. After seeing the same crap year after year people still want to give him chances. This is exactly what's been wrong with the franchise.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It kind of reminds me of the Green supporters. After seeing the same crap year after year people still want to give him chances. This is exactly what's been wrong with the franchise.

Or, on the flip side, the people who saw Ovechkin only getting worse and worse under three different coaches with rumors of mysterious injuries or conditioning issues. How many of them would've thought he could've raised his totals and adopted the 2-way game?

Hard to say. It's what make enigmatic talents so seductive as targets for GMs.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Orlov said today there were 2 factors in his long rehab:

1) he had similar injury to that wrist 10 years ago
2) he got infection while screws were removed

He said he's healed 100% around time he played in Hershey. Nothing bothered him at the time. The most difficult thing was the mental aspect all the way.

Ready to compete for the roster spot. Called the situation "hockey life", that injury could occur at any tournament, and he already forgot about last season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So what hockey trades are out there to make...in terms of teams looking to move players just to move them?

I keep looking at Edmonton and someone like Purcell. Not ideal...but might not cost much to get him. Maybe get them to add Hendricks...I'd love to get him back.

Our center depth sucks. I could foresee some trade for 3C capable of playing top-6 in a pinch. Like Kelly.

Gordon is kinda 3C/4C but we still have Bura.

Ideally I would like to see Fehr moved to RW and another 3C in the fold. So both could play C if required.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Or, on the flip side, the people who saw Ovechkin only getting worse and worse under three different coaches with rumors of mysterious injuries or conditioning issues. How many of them would've thought he could've raised his totals and adopted the 2-way game?

Hard to say. It's what make enigmatic talents so seductive as targets for GMs.

And I don't think there's a GM out there that is seduced by Semin. There was even talk that Carolina would have to package their lottery pick just so someone could take him off their hands. Even at his lowest, Ovechkin would of commanded a high ransom.

I don't know about you, but after watching 7+ years of Semin we should know exactly what he is.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
There are bottom six center options in free agency if need be: Horcoff, Cullen, Jokinen, Brodziak, Campbell, Letestu, Slater, Goc, etc. I'm not sure I'd like both Fehr and Beagle back as their bottom six centers. Ideally you'd like some more playmaking ability and shiftiness/agility somewhere in there.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
There are bottom six center options in free agency if need be: Horcoff, Cullen, Jokinen, Brodziak, Campbell, Letestu, Slater, Goc, etc. I'm not sure I'd like both Fehr and Beagle back as their bottom six centers. Ideally you'd like some more playmaking ability and shiftiness/agility somewhere in there.

Jokinen is old and full of himself. He barely has any playoff experience and at this point would be a horrible signing.

Cullen is considering retirement... so that tell yous right off the top to steer clear.

Letestu & Campbell are the best two options of those listed.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

None of those are very appealing as 3rd liners, at this point. Horcoff, Cullen, and Jokinen are ancient and ranged from mediocre to awful last year. Goc, Campbell, Letestu, and Slater don't have much in terms of offensive games at all, and are all basically career 4th liners. Maybe Brodziak could be useful, but that's holding out that he can regain his past form.

I agree that Fehr and Beagle is pretty underwhelming center depth, but unlike last year, the market is pretty darn crappy for centers this off-season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
His contract does. He didn't give a crap 4 years ago with his diving production and his phantom injuries. Imagine him with his payday fixed. And for all the Bill Peters deflections, how again did Trotz and Radulov mesh?

Wasn't it reported that Semin was the one pushing for one-year contracts in Washington? He still had a pretty solid first year after signing his extension in Carolina as well. It's not as if his production took a nosedive after he signed the contract. it took as nosedive after he suffered a wrist injury and Bill Peters was brought in.

How did Semin and Hunter mix?
How will Trotz and Kuznetsov mix going forwards?

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Wasn't it reported that Semin was the one pushing for one-year contracts in Washington? He still had a pretty solid first year after signing his extension in Carolina as well. It's not as if his production took a nosedive after he signed the contract. it took as nosedive after he suffered a wrist injury and Bill Peters was brought in.

How did Semin and Hunter mix?
How will Trotz and Kuznetsov mix going forwards?

Probably better then the first 2. Considering in that late 1st round and into the 2nd, Kuzy played a lot of hockey was one of our more creative players getting offensive opportunities.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Probably better then the first 2. Considering in that late 1st round and into the 2nd, Kuzy played a lot of hockey was one of our more creative players getting offensive opportunities.

My point was to dismiss fearmongering based on nationality/perceived "enigma"-ness. I was demonstrating the incongruity between claiming Semin and Trotz won't mix with the boards perceptions of our own creative, east-west playmaker.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I agree that Fehr and Beagle is pretty underwhelming center depth, but unlike last year, the market is pretty darn crappy for centers this off-season.
I still don't get how you come to that conclusion given the severe restrictions the majority of that class had from Kesler to Spezza to Stastny. Perreault and Grabovski don't make it a strong class. Ribeiro is once again much the same as an option as Grabovski. Brad Richards is available again (left out due to cost most likely).

Soderberg is another but likewise too costly. I suppose Tikhonov might be able to cut it as a 3C depending on usage. Derek Roy could maybe be another option, although he'd fail the size test.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
My point was to dismiss fearmongering based on nationality/perceived "enigma"-ness. I was demonstrating the incongruity between claiming Semin and Trotz won't mix with the boards perceptions of our own creative, east-west playmaker.

Kuznetsov is a pro-veteran who accepted being shifted to a new position and earning his icetime starting on the fourth line. He was a model citizen the entire time who gave consistent effort and commented regularly in the press.

Semin would have been a disaster through that and faked several injuries along the way.

Who's the one making nationality assumptions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA