Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Heard a report from Alan May that Backstrom might be out for the start of the regular season rehabbing the hip that he had surgery on. I think that this will have an effect on the moves that the Caps are trying to pull off. If we lose Backstrom for any period of time the center depth is back to where we were last season. I think that with that in mind they look at a player like Backes. Someone who can play the center spot while Backstrom is out to give us Kuzy and Backes then when Nicky comes back he can slot in at 1RW. That gives the Caps the ability to let Nicky fully recover with no need to rush back. Plus Backes can be used in his spot on the PK while Kuzy takes his spot on the PP.

I still want to know why Backstrom was golfing right before surgery.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Backes is cheaper, younger, more productive, and I think the PK ability is better than what Sharp can bring. I am on board for Backes more so than I am Sharp think he is a better fit for the system and the team

Backes would be more expensive to acquire IMO.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd guess they're looking at actual hockey trades that are fairly salary neutral (or trades that have a net impact of being mostly neutral). Failing that they're trying to close on the somewhat realistic re-signs in Fehr/Beagle if it can be done reasonably in order to at least sustain their center depth.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I'm surprised no one is mentioning MSL.

He has a cup, would only be a one year deal (where hopefully Wilson, Burro, or Bowey could develop and be future top line RW), is coming off a decent season, and is a natural RW.

We've seen how many assists he gets when he passed to Stamkos - could you imagine him and Backstrom feeding the puck to Ovi? WOW.

He will only go to a contender as he's 40 now, will probably only sign a 1 year or so deal, won't have to give anyone up to get him, and he'd probably be pretty cheap.

Ovi - Backstrom - MSL
Burro - Kuzy - veteran top 6 via trade

That's not a bad top 6.

Thoughts?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Good source from Russia claims Plotnikov will sign with Pittsburgh.

Meanwhile, GMBM better not give Beagle+Fehr more than 4,5M.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
I'm surprised no one is mentioning MSL.

He has a cup, would only be a one year deal (where hopefully Wilson, Burro, or Bowey could develop and be future top line RW), is coming off a decent season, and is a natural RW.

We've seen how many assists he gets when he passed to Stamkos - could you imagine him and Backstrom feeding the puck to Ovi? WOW.

He will only go to a contender as he's 40 now, will probably only sign a 1 year or so deal, won't have to give anyone up to get him, and he'd probably be pretty cheap.

Ovi - Backstrom - MSL
Burro - Kuzy - veteran top 6 via trade

That's not a bad top 6.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of MSL! I'm just not sure he's right for the 1st line?

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Backes
Burakovsky-Backstrom-St.Louis
Frolik-Sutter-Fehr
Chimera-Beagle-Wilson

Pp1: Ovie, Carlson, Backes, Backstrom, Kuznetsov
Pp2: Ovie, Niskanen, Fehr, Burakovsky, St. Louis

Brouwer for Sutter (similar contracts)
Johansson+ for Backes (UFA after next season)
St. Louis 2yr @3M
Laich for cap space

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I'm going out on a limb and calling Semin as the under the radar acquisition, as long as they can make the deal salary cap neutral. Putting him in Brouwer's spot on the PP would be lethal.

Orpik can take away his Coke if he starts to get out of line.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
So what hockey trades are out there to make...in terms of teams looking to move players just to move them?

I keep looking at Edmonton and someone like Purcell. Not ideal...but might not cost much to get him. Maybe get them to add Hendricks...I'd love to get him back.

Would the Wild move Niederreiter?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe the last day to move Green's rights for something given that teams can talk to agents starting tomorrow. I suppose a team like Edmonton might still want to try to aggressively close if their initial interest in well received, though the lure of hitting the market might be too much at this point.

I'd think Minnesota would want to move Vanek out of anyone, though he has a NMC. If they retained some salary and took Brouwer it would kinda sorta make sense. Right shot, good deflection guy. Motor is questionable but the Caps aren't exactly high octane anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad