Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
As I say like every offseason, Kuz was viewed as next Datsyuk long before his draft :) by some. Obviously they knew something :P

Not the same caliber player as Semin.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
As I say like every offseason, Kuz was viewed as next Datsyuk long before his draft :) by some. Obviously they knew something :P

Not the same caliber player as Semin.

Ah, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet. Not that it could be wrong, I'd just like to see how he develops. Maybe he blows up and turns into something better, maybe he doesn't live up to our hopes. I do agree with @BrooklynCapsFan that this entire year he was a tremendous player all around. He did what was asked of him and I have high hopes he takes a big leap next year.

Semin is a high caliber player...... when there is a full moon.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ah, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet. Not that it could be wrong, I'd just like to see how he develops. Maybe he blows up and turns into something better, maybe he doesn't live up to our hopes. I do agree with @BrooklynCapsFan that this entire year he was a tremendous player all around. He did what was asked of him and I have high hopes he takes a big leap next year.

Semin is a high caliber player...... when there is a full moon.

Semin is mentally weak immature guy.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I'm interested to see who they pluck to be the 7th D man.

Gleason makes a lot of sense to come back...but haven't heard much on that front.

Any names jump out to anyone?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
A wrist injury on a guy on the wrong side of 30 who is absolutely dependent on his wrists to produce? I'd say that's leaning pretty heavily towards "washed up".

He looked better (and had better numbers) in the back half of the season as he started to fully recover. As I said earlier, Semin without his shot is a bust asset but I wouldn't be too quick to say he's washed up.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

Gleason makes a lot of sense to come back...but haven't heard much on that front.

Orlov? is he not going to play still? :cry:

oops miscounted, but still anyway is orlov going to play? haven't heard much

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I still don't get how you come to that conclusion given the severe restrictions the majority of that class had from Kesler to Spezza to Stastny. Perreault and Grabovski don't make it a strong class. Ribeiro is once again much the same as an option as Grabovski. Brad Richards is available again (left out due to cost most likely).

Soderberg is another but likewise too costly. I suppose Tikhonov might be able to cut it as a 3C depending on usage. Derek Roy could maybe be another option, although he'd fail the size test.
Even if they weren't Washington options, the presence of Kesler, Spezza, and Stastny removed three bidders from the market. Richards and Ribiero were low profile, cheap options last year, where now they're the cream of the center crop (or would be if not for legal trouble in Ribs case). I don't get how you could see it any other way. The center market last year is leaps and bounds ahead of the one this year. Soderberg and Tikhonov would have been like the 6th and 7th best centers on the market last year.

You remembering only the good?
Even the "bad" Semin would still be one of our best forwards. His lowest goal output as a Capital would have placed him T-2nd on the team last year. Semin's worst is still better than we're getting from our secondary scoring currently.

Kuznetsov is a pro-veteran who accepted being shifted to a new position and earning his icetime starting on the fourth line. He was a model citizen the entire time who gave consistent effort and commented regularly in the press.

Semin would have been a disaster through that and faked several injuries along the way.

Who's the one making nationality assumptions?
You are, by linking Semin to Radulov.
My point was regarding the nature of each players' play. Semin didn't mesh with Peters because of the play style Peters forced upon his players, and the hesitation it created in his game. Trotz is obviously more willing to work with east-west players and allow for creative play, with Kuznetsov being the proof in the pudding. If you think Semin's play wouldn't mesh with Trotz, then neither would Kuznetsov's. I reinforced that with the fact that Semin was one of the more successful players under Hunter.
But, go ahead, keep bashing Semin for "faked injuries" and "skulking." :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Even if they weren't Washington options, the presence of Kesler, Spezza, and Stastny removed three bidders from the market. Richards and Ribiero were low profile, cheap options last year, where now they're the cream of the center crop (or would be if not for legal trouble in Ribs case). I don't get how you could see it any other way. The center market last year is leaps and bounds ahead of the one this year. Soderberg and Tikhonov would have been like the 6th and 7th best centers on the market last year.
They removed three bidders but who were the best of the rest then? IINM they were Grabovski and Perreault...nothing close to a huge rare missed opportunity. The Caps had interest in Kesler and I'd guess that's the very specific type of shutdown two-way center they were and maybe still could be interested in. That rules out a lot of options, including those former Caps. Bolland was the other possible fit in that regard and he got a predictably terrible contract.

EStaal, O'Reilly and Backes could be dealt this summer and that's a very comparable trio to the very top-end from last summer. Other 2/3Cs like Bozak, Berglund and Sutter could move. Again, hard to agree that they really missed out on some rare opportunity at that position.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Hmm, maybe Arizona will trade Shane Doan? 5,3M caphit, last year of the contract.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Doan
Joehanson-Backstrom-Bura

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They removed three bidders but who were the best of the rest then? IINM they were Grabovski and Perreault...nothing close to a huge rare missed opportunity. The Caps had interest in Kesler and I'd guess that's the very specific type of shutdown two-way center they were and maybe still could be interested in. That rules out a lot of options, including those former Caps. Bolland was the other possible fit in that regard and he got a predictably terrible contract.

EStaal, O'Reilly and Backes could be dealt this summer and that's a very comparable trio to the very top-end from last summer. Other 2/3Cs like Bozak, Berglund and Sutter could move. Again, hard to agree that they really missed out on some rare opportunity at that position.

Grabovski and Perreault are above what's on the UFA market his season. The best guys on the UFA market this season (Richards, Soderberg, Fisher) are middle of the pack options on the UFA market last season. We'll see how many of the trade candidates actually move (I have a hard time believing Carolina will be able to offload the contracts on either Staal, for instance) and at what price.

They missed an opportunity to address center depth without paying through the nose last year. It was the perfect time to strike. This year will be far more expensive for lower quality players.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
Which RW can Caps really acquire in trade? without the trade contains one of our top prospects

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Hmm, maybe Arizona will trade Shane Doan? 5,3M caphit, last year of the contract.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Doan
Joehanson-Backstrom-Bura

Pretty sure Doan has a full NTC. Even then he has no desire to go anywhere based on what I understand.

He's also very long in the tooth. Avoid.

I was reading today that Gleason was going to look for someone to give him a 2 year deal and if not the Caps are an option. But yeah he'd be a good fit in the 7D mold we are looking for.

It would be funny if no one bailed the Hawks out of trouble by taking Sharp off their hands. I'd like to have Sharp here, but seeing the Hawks struggle for once would be nice.

Hawks are playing a game of chicken. No sane GM is going to pay the price they are asking. I too think it would be funny if they were left holding the bag but doubt that happens. They will lower the price and move him to some team.

They were given the reigns at various points in the season, and only Kuznetsov was able to hang onto them. Wilson floundered on the top line and was demoted because too many possessions ended on his stick. Burakovsky was gifted an opportunity in the top six he clearly wasn't ready for, and ended up seeing his ice time dwindle as he continued to struggle defensively. Give them opportunities, sure. Don't make those opportunities the default option. Bring in guys who can carry the load if required. Players get hurt and lines change all the time. Even if you bring in established players, the young guys will get opportunities. It's up to them to show that they deserve them. It's up to them to prove they're the best option. Don't giftwrap them a spot and then end up struggling when they're overmatched.

Where are you getting this? Burakovsky had incredible possession numbers flanking Ovie on RW1.

Wilson's possession numbers were solid as well.

If by established players you are suggesting the likes of declining expensive Alexander Semin then I most vehmenently disagree.

The acquisition cost and cap hit need to be taken into account.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad