Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
God.....doom. the caps mascot is Eyesore. What the caps not being mentioned is that they are never named on anything accurate.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Agreed. I'd trade Wilson, in the right deal. It seems obvious he won't be a tremendous offensive player, and probably not even up to Lucic standards. If you can get a top flight top 6 forward for him +, I'd do it.

MaJo + Wilson for JVR? I'd have a hard time saying "no".

MaJo + Wilson + for Pavelski? Assuredly

MaJo + Wilson for ROR? Possibly.

I could go on---

Curious about JVR. He was an up and coming star when he played with the Flyers, but since he got traded to Toronto, I haven't heard that much from him. Has he leveled out as a player, or has he just been mired in a terrible Maple Leafs organization? He's a player I would love the Caps to pursue if he is more or less the same guy he was with the Flyers.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Some food for thought. Comparison to last year after 55 games:

2013-14: 24-22-9 (57 pts, 84 pt pace)
2014-15: 29-16-10 (68 pts, 101 pt pace)

Last year the Caps reached 55 games at the end of January, two weeks earlier than this year, due to the compressed Olympic schedule. Every team had to put up with that, but the Caps fared especially poorly in January when they went 4-7-4 with just one win at home and 10 games played on the road. That month, unbelievably, may really have been what sunk Adam Oates, because from February on they changed things around, going 14-8-5 to finish the season on a 100 point pace.

Oates last 27 games: 100 point pace
Trotz first 55 games: 101 point pace

So the Caps are putting up points at almost exactly the same rate as the end of last season, with twice as many games played.

:naughty:

Little bit of a straw man. You compared Oates best 27 games, and all of Trotz's. Trotz is 19-6-6 his last 31 games.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Curious about JVR. He was an up and coming star when he played with the Flyers, but since he got traded to Toronto, I haven't heard that much from him. Has he leveled out as a player, or has he just been mired in a terrible Maple Leafs organization? He's a player I would love the Caps to pursue if he is more or less the same guy he was with the Flyers.

He's been a 60 pt player for the Leafs. 30 goals last year, on pace for same this year.

Was a big part of team USA as well.

I'd be thrilled to add him. Young (25) and on a good contract (same as Brooks Laich)....signed thru 2019.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
He's been a 60 pt player for the Leafs. 30 goals last year, on pace for same this year.

Was a big part of team USA as well.

I'd be thrilled to add him. Young (25) and on a good contract (same as Brooks Laich)....signed thru 2019.

What would you guys be willing to part with to get him? And please don't say either Mojo or Chimarea. The Maple Leafs are not that stupid. It has to be enticing enough a package to pry JVR away WITHOUT parting with our top prospects -- Bura and Kuz.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Little bit of a straw man. You compared Oates best 27 games, and all of Trotz's. Trotz is 19-6-6 his last 31 games.

No I compared Oates' LAST 27 games. That they happend to be better is something to note, not a reason to discount them. I started in February because there was a clear cut-off point following a terrible month, possibly indicating what the team could do when motivated (not Oates' strong suit).

If the most recent 31 game record is better (116 point pace) that means the earlier Trotz record would have to be worse to make the averages balance. And why just look at the last 31? That's more arbitrary than viewing the final stretch of last year.

The point is not to say Trotz is as bad as Oates, but that for the year (first 2/e) the team is on the same pace that Oates last 3rd of a season. So are we that much better overall? Is this team going to continue at a 116 point pace, or regress a bit back toward the pace Oates had them on, which is the same average over the last 82 games?

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
MaJo + Wilson for JVR? I'd have a hard time saying "no".

MaJo + Wilson + for Pavelski? Assuredly

MaJo + Wilson for ROR? Possibly.

IMO there is no way a Johansson/Wilson package wins the bidding for any of those players, not even close...

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
IMO there is no way a Johansson/Wilson package wins the bidding for any of those players, not even close...

What about Wilson and Orlov? Orlov has the potential to be a good offensive defenceman, but he's been injured a lot, and perhaps he is expendable with Bowey in the pipeline.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
What about Wilson and Orlov? Orlov has the potential to be a good offensive defenceman, but he's been injured a lot, and perhaps he is expendable with Bowey in the pipeline.

Nope.

You really think if any of those guys is on the market the best they are going to be offered is Johansson/Wilson or Orlov/Wilson? Johansson/Wilson/Orlov isn't winning any of those bidding wars either. Orlov IMO has very little value until he returns and shows he can play up to his former standards.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Nope.

You really think if any of those guys is on the market the best they are going to be offered is Johansson/Wilson or Orlov/Wilson? Johansson/Wilson/Orlov isn't winning any of those bidding wars either. Orlov IMO has very little value until he returns and shows he can play up to his former standards.

Disagree. Pavelski is 30 years old, Wilson is only 20 and Orlov is only 23. As good as Pavelski is, I think the Sharks might be intrigued by the prospect of getting young and cheaper by acquiring Wilson and Orlov.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia

He puts up a lot of points but based on what I've heard Leafs fans say, he doesn't do a lot of anything else and is poor defensively.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Actually JVR is LW we could use, so you trade any LW prospect for him, I guess. Including Bura. That makes sense for Caps, totally.

IDK about the whole proper package.

PS: Like you trade Kuz for Backes, obviously.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Disagree. Pavelski is 30 years old, Wilson is only 20 and Orlov is only 23. As good as Pavelski is, I think the Sharks might be intrigued by the prospect of getting young and cheaper by acquiring Wilson and Orlov.

I'm not saying the offer might not be fair, though I stand by my opinion that Orlov at this point does not hold a heck of a lot of value, I'm saying it isn't going to win the bidding war. If Pavelski is on the market half the league is going to be interested and it is going to take a decent amount more than fair to actually land him. IMO of course...

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
No I compared Oates' LAST 27 games. That they happend to be better is something to note, not a reason to discount them. I started in February because there was a clear cut-off point following a terrible month, possibly indicating what the team could do when motivated (not Oates' strong suit).

If the most recent 31 game record is better (116 point pace) that means the earlier Trotz record would have to be worse to make the averages balance. And why just look at the last 31? That's more arbitrary than viewing the final stretch of last year.

The point is not to say Trotz is as bad as Oates, but that for the year (first 2/e) the team is on the same pace that Oates last 3rd of a season. So are we that much better overall? Is this team going to continue at a 116 point pace, or regress a bit back toward the pace Oates had them on, which is the same average over the last 82 games?

My intent was not to compare anything, but rather point out that you have to look at everything not just pick and choose segments. Especially in hockey which is so streaky. 31 just happened to be close to 27 and it went back to when we were 10-10-4 (easy math for me). The two sets compared are of a run at the end of oates time where the team would have had time to adjust and learn his system (not sure anyone ever really knew what that was) and at the begging of Trotz as guys are adjusting. Also the style of play is more competitive IMO. Long story short, our pace may be the same as the end of oates time, but I think were in better shape.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
ROR is becoming my top target. I think the caps should solidify 2C for two + years. As long as it can be a Vrana + 1st + mid grade roster player the cupboard remains useful and it opens a legit window this year and next. If we can simultaneously move green for futures and shore up 3rd pairing I'd consider doing that as well.

If we keep Green we'd have to move salary tho. Would we need to clear the 6 for ROR to make it happen?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ROR is becoming my top target. I think the caps should solidify 2C for two + years. As long as it can be a Vrana + 1st + mid grade roster player the cupboard remains useful and it opens a legit window this year and next. If we can simultaneously move green for futures and shore up 3rd pairing I'd consider doing that as well.

Like this.

I think they could move Green out West and add a physical D in a separate minor deal and be better off.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Pavelski is one of the top players in the league right now, at least point-wise. He's 13th in points and... 3rd in goals.

I'd be OK with lesser player, like Backes :)))

I mean it's a pipedream.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
O'Reilly has less points than Johansson and hasn't particularly killed in Corsi department either for what it's worth.

Btw, while I'm at it, horizontal-bar-graph-player-evaluation strongly disagrees. It says ROR is good for a 2nd liner. But probably not 6M good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad