Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
FWIW our poll in the last thread was about 2-1 in favor of 1RW over a 2C.

Two brave souls actually selected 3rd pair or depth D.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
just overpay for ROR and call it a ECF playoff appearance. Mojo + Schmidt + 1st

ovi-backs-kuz
buraka-ror-brow
Laich-Fehr-Ward
Chim-Beags-Latta/Wilson

Alzner Carlson
Dima Nisky
Orpik Green
(perfect balance all playing around 20mins a night)

and if this org is still being stingy on forcing kuz into center, just throw ROR on top line. I feel like he compliments it beautifully.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So for me, it's not so much about Kuznetsov being "the answer" at 2C as it is about him definitely not being a solution at wing. He's either at C or out of the lineup, and if he's out of the lineup, that's yet another hole that needs to be filled.

IMO the lines going into the playoffs look like this:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - XXX
XXX (currently Johansson) - Kuznetsov - Brouwer

I think they're really forced to sink or swim with Kuznetsov this year if they're going to make a run, and as such I'd look for a more physical winger for him than Johansson. I'm actually strongly against a 2C at this point, whether rental or long-term.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Why is he definitely not the solution at wing? I don't see that at all.

He's unwilling or unable to win puck battles along the boards. Hell, he barely even engages. In addition, he thrives on the additional space through the middle of the ice. Those both have implications in the defensive zone as well as the offensive zone.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Why is he definitely not the solution at wing? I don't see that at all.

We've been using Mojo at 2LW and 1RW and to me he's at least as much of a liability in a physical matchup as Kuz. Mojo tried his usual move of trying to carry the puck over the blueline and to the right corner last game and got planted. That happens a lot. At least with Kuz I could see him finding his way around such contact. If Mojo doesn't have a clear lane he's toast.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
We've been using Mojo at 2LW and 1RW and to me he's at least as much of a liability in a physical matchup as Kuz. Mojo tried his usual move of trying to carry the puck over the blueline and to the right corner last game and got planted. That happens a lot. At least with Kuz I could see him finding his way around such contact. If Mojo doesn't have a clear lane he's toast.

Yep. As stated, I don't like either of them at wing. But I'd rather move Johansson.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He's unwilling or unable to win puck battles along the boards. Hell, he barely even engages. In addition, he thrives on the additional space through the middle of the ice. Those both have implications in the defensive zone as well as the offensive zone.

Yeah but he's been playing with 20 and 25 recently. When I watch Kuz on that line he's clearly playing a support role, waiting for one of the other guys to push the puck free. He's never going to be the guy on the boards pinning the puck to the wall with his skates or tying a guy up for long, I don't think. But how often is the top line trying to do that anyway?

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Been watching kuz for many of years and this "confidence" he has now would have been prevalent 3months ago if he was at wing.

has he even been tried with ovi and backs yet?

I just think finding a legit center 1b if you will is easily worth whatever necessary from vrana mojo schmidt 1st brow ward carrick

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't think there's any indication whatsoever he wouldn't work on the wing. He's no worse than Burakovsky on the walls. It's a numbers game. They're very thin down the middle and want some semblance of skill and creativity there beyond Backstrom.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Yeah but he's been playing with 20 and 25 recently. When I watch Kuz on that line he's clearly playing a support role, waiting for one of the other guys to push the puck free. He's never going to be the guy on the boards pinning the puck to the wall with his skates or tying a guy up for long, I don't think. But how often is the top line trying to do that anyway?

Frequently, if they're going to have any sustainable even-strength success. They can't be a rush line if the Caps are going to make any sort of run.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I don't think there's any indication whatsoever he wouldn't work on the wing. He's no worse than Burakovsky on the walls. It's a numbers game. They're very thin down the middle and want some semblance of skill and creativity there beyond Backstrom.

I don't think Burakovsky's a fit this year either. Maybe he gets bigger and stronger in the offseason (he's certainly shiftier along the boards than Kuznetsov) but I don't see it for now.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Get a center, put Fehr at 1RW, and keep Kuznetsov at center. Problem solved. :naughty:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Fehr
Laich - Vermette* - Ward
Johansson - Kuznetsov - Brouwer

*Vermette is a placeholder for this, could be replaced with any other capable 2-way scoring center. Amazing how much better it looks if you flip the lines around.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Get a center, put Fehr at 1RW, and keep Kuznetsov at center. Problem solved. :naughty:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Fehr
Laich - Vermette* - Ward
Johansson - Kuznetsov - Brouwer

*Vermette is a placeholder for this, could be replaced with any other capable 2-way scoring center. Amazing how much better it looks if you flip the lines around.
Agree. Switch Bozak in for Vermette and he and Fehr can switch places if needed. Trade Johansson at the draft unless he shows another level of play.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Well, yes, but he'll cost a lot more.

I don't mind giving Stewart a shot and keeping Fehr at center. He's the only rental that sort of maybe could bring what they hoped Wilson would bring to the top line.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Agree. Switch Bozak in for Vermette and he and Fehr can switch places if needed. Trade Johansson at the draft unless he shows another level of play.

You do realize Bozak and Vermette are both bad possession players right?

Bozak is downright turble. He literally makes everyone he plays with on the Leafs worse.

Vermette seems to have not had a positive possession season in over 3 years.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If they go 2C at all it says to me they're giving up on Kuz as a center. You'd have to move him to wing and then you take a valuable period of playoff experience (and evaluation) away at the center position. They're probably not looking for a rental and probably not going to sacrifice big pieces so the only real options are:

1) A long-term 2C move with Kuz officially going to 1RW, which would require some cap space opening up, which means a roster player going out, which means someone else has to shift up a line or two.

2) Keeping Kuz 2C and rolling the dice with that in the playoffs, whether that means upgrading 1RW or not. A rental at 1RW is doubtful unless cheap, in which case how much of an improvement is there for the trouble and roster shuffling? If they keep Kuz at 2C then bringing in a long-term solution at 1RW is more likely, unless Mojo really steps up the rest of the way.

IMO everyone else can play great or like crap and it won't matter as much as how Kuz and Mojo are doing. If they both struggle then GMBM will have a real situation on his hands.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
With Stafford off the market, Jagr's it as far as rental RWs who don't suck.

Winnik's underlying numbers are suprisingly strong, his cap hit is low and he'd cost a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I think he plays RW at least.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It wouldn't be cheap, and it would take salary moving out, but I wonder if the Wild would be willing to move Pominville if their current run sputters out before the deadline. They're playing themselves back into contention, so it doesn't look all that likely right now, though.

Also not sure if Pominville has a NTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad