Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So, comprehensive list of top-end or big-money players who might be realistically available?

Kessel, Phaneuf, ROR, Pavelski, Yandle, Lupul, Bozak, Eriksson

That's what I've got.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So, comprehensive list of top-end or big-money players who might be realistically available?

Kessel, Phaneuf, ROR, Pavelski, Yandle, Lupul, Bozak, Eriksson

That's what I've got.

From that list...

Kessel is too expensive for us (Ovie is in his role already).
Phaneuf is covered by Orpik and Niskanen signings.
Yandle is like LH Green who is expensive to acquire to boot.
Lupul is kinda always injured.
Bozak is questionable upgrade over Kuz, not much physical I think.

ROR is wildcard. I don't know if we can trade for him, if we can sign him later, if he will help much. Too much questions.

Pavelski is a move you do any day of the week. Just the availability in question.

Eriksson is much cheaper (and safer) from this list. He's 29 only.

So it's Loui!

PS: I think we can't place all eggs in the 2017 basket. Risky strategy.

PPS: Wilson is better ~last 5 games. Maybe he was dinged. Lets see what he can do in April.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Or offensive strategy is to pass the puck to Ovi on the PP.

We are as bad up front as anyone other than Boston.

Thats pretty dubious and I would hope you are just being sarcastic.

Caps have 2 of the top 5 scorers in the league and 4 guys who are just about a lock to hit 20 goals (8, 19, 20 and 16) and another couple who will be close to that (Ward, MJ)

If Trotz actually used Burakovsky he would have had 20 goals potentially as well.

I really think we have our 1 RW. Coach doesn't agree however.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Or offensive strategy is to pass the puck to Ovi on the PP.

We are as bad up front as anyone other than Boston.

This is garbage. They're 5th in the East and 11th in the League in ES GF. 10th in ES GF%. Others have already put out the statistics showing our forwards vs other teams in the East so I won't rehash it, but you're flat out wrong.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I got the idea!

Laich + for McClement and Semin (salary retained, at least 2,5M).

Laich (4,5M x 2) out.
Semin (4,5 x 3) in.

McClement do what BL did (3rd line checking role + PK). Could be resigned. Quality player for this role.

Semin is fun! LW/RW for top-6 (OBS or winger for Kuz, either side).

Heads explode! Hair gets gray!

Think about it. Could Semin be worse than Eriksson? (ofc yes)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Semin at 4.5 for 3 more years is horrid, given what he's shown the last two seasons.

Wait until he's bought out, and then maybe give him a show-me 1 year deal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The TDL thread is prepped. Check out the multiple choice poll options before launch here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1840245

Locked until this current thread runs its course. Then the poll options are final. Speak now about serious options. I left off the big money/term guys so anyone who seriously thinks we're going after the expensive, long-term players can pencil in their choices.

Cap hit and term numbers are from various web sources so point out serious errors only, no nitpicking.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
The TDL thread is prepped. Check out the multiple choice poll options before launch here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1840245

Locked until this current thread runs its course. Then the poll options are final. Speak now about serious options. I left off the big money/term guys so anyone who seriously thinks we're going after the expensive, long-term players can pencil in their choices.

Cap hit and term numbers are from various web sources so point out serious errors only, no nitpicking.

Possibly add Erik Cole - 2015 UFA, $4.5 cap hit, $4.0 salary

Kimmo Timonen - 2015 UFA, $3.5 cap hit, $2.0 salary...there were also bonus implications for GP for 2016 that Langway posted a few pages back.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I expect Doug Wilson to find a way to convince Thornton and Marleau to leave at this point.

Thornton I'm sure will waive his NTC to goto the Rangers. ALL big name players want to play for the Rangers in the twilight of their careers. Thats how its been since the dawn of time.

I don't believe they will move young pieces to try to make the playoffs. They were in a retool to begin with and that was the plan going in. The season has gone about what they were expecting as they didn't make any upgrades.

Truth be told they mainly need an upgrade in goal and they will be fine so I don't see them trading Couture or Pavelski

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Possibly add Erik Cole - 2015 UFA, $4.5 cap hit, $4.0 salary

Kimmo Timonen - 2015 UFA, $3.5 cap hit, $2.0 salary...there were also bonus implications for GP for 2016 that Langway posted a few pages back.

Added. Anyone else? Only a few posts left...

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Then, give him another 1 year deal at bigger money. Giving term to Semin is just asking him to take most of the contract off.

I guess he might go for that to hang out with his mates

1 year is too long a term

I think it would be wise to pay him per goal :nod:

on an unrelated topic ... the cost of Sekera seems very high to me for a UFA ... but he would be a nice add at around $3m for the length of the Orpik contract

currently our defensive D are left, and offensive D right ... he would add flexibility in this area

Orlov being a related question mark

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Semin at 4.5 for 3 more years is horrid, given what he's shown the last two seasons.

Wait until he's bought out, and then maybe give him a show-me 1 year deal.

Well, that's better, ofc, but it could be just not in the cards.

Do you believe GMBM will dump Laich just for cap space? In summer?
Also I don't believe you can trade Laich for required top-6 RW.

If it's 4,5M albatross for another 4,5M albatross - what's worse?

I even doubt Semin's agent will want to sign for 4M or less with the Caps. He will probably find suitor for around 5M/1Y somewhere else. That's ****ing Gandler.

If you think Semin will WANT to play for Caps for 2M/1Y I guess he will want so not because of money.

Pure theory. I'm tired of waiting for TDL.

Plz no to Mojo ~4M.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'll take the 4.5M albatross with one year less term, leadership abilities, and who can play a shutdown/PK role.

I don't think they necessarily have to move anyone purely for cap space in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad