Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Doesnt Chimera have a limited NTC? I recall seeing that on capgeek before the end.

Moving him to a western conference team looking for forward depth makes sense...if they are looking to make a seperate bigger deal to fill out the roster.

It does have the potential to be a fun deadline.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
From the past thread:

If Kuznetsov brings back someone like David Backes, I'm definitely on board.

Obvious statement is obvious.

Ofcourse you trade Alzner for OEL! No sane Caps fan would say no to that.

Ewwww, you'd really trade Kuznetsov for David Backes? *vomits*

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Whoever they target, if there's a forward addition without a subtraction, 43 and 65 really need to be in Hershey.

I'm not certain of that. Few (4?) emergency recalls are available and I'd much rather have one or both of those two available without recall than someone like Liam O'Brien or Chris Brown. 65 more so than 43 as Chimera is the one I'd most likely look to scratch.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The overrating of Caps players is bizarre considering the teams repeated failures in the postseason.

Kuzya has 20 ****ing points and is tissue soft, not what wins in Spring.

You'd think he was Forsberg with the love he's getting.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The overrating of Caps players is bizarre considering the teams repeated failures in the postseason.

Your hate on Kuzya is bizarre considering he's been the Caps best forward since the ASG. A super talented young guy playing in his first full season is adapting to the game and improving on a nightly basis, who'da thought?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The Caps I would keep (ideally):

Ovie, Backstrom, Kuz, Burakovsky, Wilson, Latta, Niskanen, Orpik, Carlson, Alzner, Schmidt, Orlov, Vrana, Bowey, Holtby and Grubs.

Laich and Green are paid way too much money and are too fragile besides. I like Ward but he makes a lot of coin also. Fehr has been good but I'm not counting on him. Brouwer and Marcus are ok but their position can be improved.

I don't know enough about Barber and the other prospects yet.

I can see all the players on the top list contributing to a Cup winner in D.C. The rest are iffy at best. I'll be disappointed if Schmidt or Orlov are dealt. I like the upside of both players and doubt they would bring much back right now.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City

And how many postseason failures does Kuznetsov have?

Wait for it...

0. Zero.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Doesnt Chimera have a limited NTC? I recall seeing that on capgeek before the end.

Moving him to a western conference team looking for forward depth makes sense...if they are looking to make a seperate bigger deal to fill out the roster.

It does have the potential to be a fun deadline.

He does.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005

Wait for it...

0. Zero.

He has also come up big in international tournaments so he likes the big stage. I do worry about his terrible wall work in the playoffs though. I don't expect hits from him but get in there with your stick and get the damned puck. If he and another player go for a loose puck along the boards it is like 90% going to the other team.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've seen Kuz come away from the boards with the puck in a toss-up situation plenty of times. He's also made some plays on loose pucks that had me wondering how he ended up with it. That's not the same thing as getting into a muckers puck battle.

Honestly if he just learns to balance on the boards and shield the puck a little better in those situations that's all he needs to hang with Ovie and Nick because he'll have support. He's perfectly capable of BEING the support that drags or pokes the puck out, which is what he's doing now.

If we're looking for a sturdy, veteran wall guy who has toughness and some scoring touch we may as well forget about trading the farm and just put 20 back up top.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The Caps I would keep (ideally):

Ovie, Backstrom, Kuz, Burakovsky, Wilson, Latta, Niskanen, Orpik, Carlson, Alzner, Schmidt, Orlov, Vrana, Bowey, Holtby and Grubs.

Laich and Green are paid way too much money and are too fragile besides. I like Ward but he makes a lot of coin also. Fehr has been good but I'm not counting on him. Brouwer and Marcus are ok but their position can be improved.

I don't know enough about Barber and the other prospects yet.

I can see all the players on the top list contributing to a Cup winner in D.C. The rest are iffy at best. I'll be disappointed if Schmidt or Orlov are dealt. I like the upside of both players and doubt they would bring much back right now.

Ward has a $3M cap hit. That's practically nothing.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm not certain of that. Few (4?) emergency recalls are available and I'd much rather have one or both of those two available without recall than someone like Liam O'Brien or Chris Brown. 65 more so than 43 as Chimera is the one I'd most likely look to scratch.
I'm less worried about recalls and more worried about development. Let them play 20 minutes a night in high-leverage situations. I don't think either will be the difference in the postseason.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm less worried about recalls and more worried about development. Let them play 20 minutes a night in high-leverage situations. I don't think either will be the difference in the postseason.

Burakovsky in particular has shown that, at least from a possession standpoint, he's ready for the NHL (regular season). He doesn't have the consistency in his game yet so it's possible that an extended stint in Hershey could help, but if he goes, I want him to stay there, and I have little confidence in Chimera's ability to replicate his previous playoff efforts. I have even less confidence in Volpatti to make any sort of contribution.

I would be OK with sending Wilson down at the conclusion of the road trip if they plan to acquire someone.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
If they bring in a top-6 forward, do you see either 65 or 43 getting anything more than sporadic 4th line duty? I don't, and I dont think such a role is beneficial to anyone.

I'm coming around more and more to new guy's Derek Roy suggestion. He can be your extra skill guy to plug in the top 6 in case of injury.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009

Wait for it...

0. Zero.

Are we talking about the young guns? And how they just need a little seasoning to get some playoff experience.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
If they bring in a top-6 forward, do you see either 65 or 43 getting anything more than sporadic 4th line duty? I don't, and I dont think such a role is beneficial to anyone.

I'm coming around more and more to new guy's Derek Roy suggestion. He can be your extra skill guy to plug in the top 6 in case of injury.

I think the fourth line has to be capable if the Caps are going to make a run, and I think now is as good a time as any for the rookies to learn the playoff ropes, maybe even more so in a limited role.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Burakovsky in particular has shown that, at least from a possession standpoint, he's ready for the NHL (regular season). He doesn't have the consistency in his game yet so it's possible that an extended stint in Hershey could help, but if he goes, I want him to stay there, and I have little confidence in Chimera's ability to replicate his previous playoff efforts. I have even less confidence in Volpatti to make any sort of contribution.

I would be OK with sending Wilson down at the conclusion of the road trip if they plan to acquire someone.

I highly disagree that 65 is NHL-ready. He may be better than 25, but he's not very good right now. He turns over way too many pucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia