Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The guy was a 3rd round pick in 2012, was a top scorer in the WHL, and is in his first season of pro hockey and doing well. Plenty of guys sort of struggle in their first season out of juniors and still go on to have nice NHL careers.

Why don't know you just admit you never heard of the kid, didn't bother to look him up, and simply don't know what you are talking about in this case? Its ok, we all do it...

So?

I frankly don't understand fans overvaluing tier 2 prospects at this point when the Caps window is closing.

You aren't going to win a Cup by bargain shopping for a C, maintaining mediocrity and hoping to "get lucky".

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So?

I frankly don't understand fans overvaluing tier 2 prospects at this point when the Caps window is closing.

You aren't going to win a Cup by bargain shopping for a C, maintaining mediocrity and hoping to "get lucky".

What the **** are you even talking about? We're talking about the trade between the Maple Leafs and Predators that already happened. The Caps aren't involved in any way.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
So?

What is overvaluing about not considering a good prospect 'dead weight?' The Leafs aren't in win a cup mode at this point obviously. They just added a very nice prospect to their organization for a rental.

They are tearing it down and rebuilding. They haven't even dug the foundation and you are complaing that they don't have the right shingles for the roof.

If the Caps had just made a deal like the Leafs just did, say the Green for futures deal that the haters all want, I would 100% understand and agree with your point of view but that isn't the case. The Leafs need picks and prospects and Leipsic is very far from dead weight.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ooo the AHL.

I could care less about middling prospects who may or may not have NHL 2nd line "potential" at this point.

The Caps should have everyone in their system on the table if the right deal presents itself.

Win a Cup already.

Yeah, we probably don't need Eakin either. We should just keep trading prospects for rentals because who needs organizational depth?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So?

I frankly don't understand how little you value prospects and draft picks. And how is acquiring Santorelli not bargain shopping?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
:facepalm:
You mean aside of the fact that ROR is a left shot, and Brouwer's spot on the powerplay is for a right shooter, right?

Jeez hardly facepalm worthy. I was speaking more to the manner in which he scores, in the slot around 15 feet of the net. I'm sure they could adjust for him on the PP too unless they are that inept.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Any opinions on Jordan Eberle? 24 years old, RW, nice stats last year (28 goals, 65 pts). Selected 22 overall in 2008. Not sure why there isnt more of a fuss over this guy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jeez hardly facepalm worthy. I was speaking more to the manner in which he scores, in the slot around 15 feet of the net. I'm sure they could adjust for him on the PP too unless they are that inept.

I think you are looking at a square peg for a round hole. a left shot is incompatible with a pp set up to feed Ov one timer shots.

the passes that brouwer or ward, also a right shot, score on come from the right half wall or the right wing corner. a left shot would need a passer on the left half wall or left corner. The Caps don't even have a player in the left corner.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Any opinions on Jordan Eberle? 24 years old, RW, nice stats last year (28 goals, 65 pts). Selected 22 overall in 2008. Not sure why there isnt more of a fuss over this guy.

small. no experience whatever in a meaningful nhl regular season or playoff game.
if I were bringing in one player, he's too risky

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I think you are looking at a square peg for a round hole. a left shot is incompatible with a pp set up to feed Ov one timer shots.

the passes that brouwer or ward, also a right shot, score on come from the right half wall or the right wing corner. a left shot would need a passer on the left half wall or left corner. The Caps don't even have a player in the left corner.

That's just ridiculous to me, good coaching can find a way to insert someone of ROR skills. The same can be said for saying OEL can't be worked into the PP, he has played where Green does.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I frankly don't understand how little you value prospects and draft picks. And how is acquiring Santorelli not bargain shopping?

Santorelli wasn't the main piece in that deal. Anyways, they moved a 1st for Franson. That's hardly bargain shopping.

I value prospects I'm just not obsessed with them. The Caps don't have another 5 years to wait around for guys like Bura, Vrana and Bowey to hit their prime. Wilson is just overrated.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Santorelli wasn't the main piece in that deal. Anyways, they moved a 1st for Franson. That's hardly bargain shopping.

I value prospects I'm just not obsessed with them. The Caps don't have another 5 years to wait around for guys like Bura, Vrana and Bowey to hit their prime. Wilson is just overrated.

Bura could be a lot closer. He started the year looking nearly like Kuz is right now, so the potential is clearly there. He could be a big part of the team as early next year. Plus, if you're looking to win while Ovi is still Ovi, having contributing cheap young players is huge. If Bura can get to "good enough", he saves you enough cap space for another significant signing.

Vrana and Bowey I can agree on. Pretty much unknowns, likely pretty far away from contributing, not clear who they'd displace on the depth chart.. thus expendable.

Wilson.. I dunno.. if somebody thinks very highly of him, I'd listen..

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's just ridiculous to me, good coaching can find a way to insert someone of ROR skills. The same can be said for saying OEL can't be worked into the PP, he has played where Green does.

Yes, I am sure OEL can do a bang up job playing where Green does on the PP. Gonchar played that spot with great success as a Capital. He is a left shot. The difference is that he was passing left to right for a left shooting one timer from Peter Bondra. That PP was a mirror of the current one.

Would you move Ov from a shooting role to a passing role to set up ROR and/or OEL? would that be a better use of Ov's skill?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Bura could be a lot closer. He started the year looking nearly like Kuz is right now, so the potential is clearly there. He could be a big part of the team as early next year. Plus, if you're looking to win while Ovi is still Ovi, having contributing cheap young players is huge. If Bura can get to "good enough", he saves you enough cap space for another significant signing.

Vrana and Bowey I can agree on. Pretty much unknowns, likely pretty far away from contributing, not clear who they'd displace on the depth chart.. thus expendable.

Wilson.. I dunno.. if somebody thinks very highly of him, I'd listen..

If any team is willing to make Wilson the prospect centerpiece of a trade with the Caps, we need to take it and run.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
On a somewhat related note, Washington's PP is sitting at 11th in the league in February and we finished 8th in January. Still excellent, but we are by no means perfect and we're certainly predictable.

It's only a matter of time before teams start "giving" the Ovi pass to Green and jumping into the lane. It's a free breakaway on a play we run 100% of the time we're on the pp.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
On a somewhat related note, Washington's PP is sitting at 11th in the league in February and we finished 8th in January. Still excellent, but we are by no means perfect and we're certainly predictable.

It's only a matter of time before teams start "giving" the Ovi pass to Green and jumping into the lane. It's a free breakaway on a play we run 100% of the time we're on the pp.

I'm ok with them putting Carlson there to just blast the puck with fewer passes to Ovi. They can also try Kuz down low, I think he can find more ways to thread the needle than MJ -- for Ovi and Brouwer both. And in the end... doubt the PP will make a big difference for the Caps in playoffs.

But yeah, you get the sense that the better teams will be able to handle the current set up, especially after having a whole series to adjust. I am less convinced about the Caps' ability to throw more wrinkles in it.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I'm ok with them putting Carlson there to just blast the puck with fewer passes to Ovi. They can also try Kuz down low, I think he can find more ways to thread the needle than MJ -- for Ovi and Brouwer both. And in the end... doubt the PP will make a big difference for the Caps in playoffs.

But yeah, you get the sense that the better teams will be able to handle the current set up, especially after having a whole series to adjust. I am less convinced about the Caps' ability to throw more wrinkles in it.

This is actually why I prefer Carlson on the PP....they don't throw a lot of wrinkles in it, more meat and potatoes. Ive always felt that was most effective in the playoffs...Carlson isnt shot-happy, he takes what they give him and he does it quickly. To my eyes this seasons PP isn't nearly as consistent as last season when Carlson was in that spot.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

I definitely like the idea of Kuznetsov replacing Mojo on the powerplay. Potentially even trying to flip him and Backstrom from time to time on the fly. Meaning Backstrom takes the typical Mojo spot and Kuznetsov flip up the halfwall to Backstroms spot. Both dynamic passers but I think Kuzya has a much more deadly shot and when we're all screaming "SHOOT in our heads" while Backstrom just juggles the puck there waiting for Ovi to get open I think Kuzy will let it rip. Would also be totally OK with Carlson getting some time in the Green spot as well. He can't lay down the perfect pass as often as Green can to Ovi but I do like his shot. His shot seems to create more rebound chances than Greens does.

It's never bad to have options even if your bread and butter is working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad