Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmljeh19*

I'm sorry but you aren't going to get ROR for Varana, a 1st and some meddling prospect. You're gonna have to give to get. If the Caps have a chance to solidify their 1LW or 2C for years you do it. Regardless of the cost. Any prospect is moveable. We aren't rebuilding. This is Ovi's prime window. It's time to stop filling major holes with rotating rookies (65, 43) and failed retreads (90, 16, 83).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm sorry but you aren't going to get ROR for Varana, a 1st and some meddling prospect.
Given Colorado's need to restructure and ROR's history of contract issues I'm not so sure that this is true. Nonetheless, the Caps would need to move out salary to make it happen in-season.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'm sorry but you aren't going to get ROR for Varana, a 1st and some meddling prospect. You're gonna have to give to get. If the Caps have a chance to solidify their 1LW or 2C for years you do it. Regardless of the cost. Any prospect is moveable. We aren't rebuilding. This is Ovi's prime window. It's time to stop filling major holes with rotating rookies (65, 43) and failed retreads (90, 16, 83).

100% agreement. The only "prospect" in this regard who is untouchable is 92.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Nope.

You really think if any of those guys is on the market the best they are going to be offered is Johansson/Wilson or Orlov/Wilson? Johansson/Wilson/Orlov isn't winning any of those bidding wars either. Orlov IMO has very little value until he returns and shows he can play up to his former standards.

I think you are being too hard on the Caps players values. Statistically, MaJo isn't far behind JVR. Add Wilson, who seems to be a league darling boy?

So how about you list what you think it would take? Look what Kane just got. Going into this season, was ROR or JVR more highly rated than him? No young players value gets torpedoed over any one bad season. It takes multiple bad seasons.

Kane just returned Stafford, 2 prospects, a first, and a defenseman swap. Neither of the prospects is as highly regarded as Wilson. MaJo has a lot more value than Stafford. Buffalo had to hold back money on Stafford.

Caps add a minor prospect, or a 2nd or something, and that's not materially different than what Kane just got.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@SWhyno: Franson, Santorelli to Preds for first rounder, forwards Brendan Leipsic and Olli Jokinen.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bummed at missing out on Santorelli. He could have been a useful piece acquired on a budget.

Looking at how ROR scores, he could be great in Brouwer's spot.

:facepalm:
You mean aside of the fact that ROR is a left shot, and Brouwer's spot on the powerplay is for a right shooter, right?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Jokinen was dead weight and a cap dump. I'd take a second round pick over Leipsic myself. Maybe TOR can get something for Jokinen but I think he's more of a waiver pick-up at this point.

More and more I think if Green is going to be traded it has to be either Detroit or Anaheim. They're the only teams with the sort of NHL-ready prospect depth where maybe something could come together that makes sense both now and later on.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Like ROR the player, but ROR the person is a huge concern. Could easily see him being a locker room problem, and there's absolutely no indication that he'd ever sign a reasonable contract (or one that takes UFA years). I wouldn't spend significant assets on him, and I think those types of concerns are why Colorado hasn't been able to move him.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This in the Avs forum:

"(For) O'Reilly the basic asking price is a young top 4 D with term or a package including a NHL ready D prospect. Secondary need is a two way forward or scoring winger, again preferably on the young side and with term."

Looks like we could snare him with Orlov + . Meanwhile, keep Bura. If that is all the Avs are asking, I move heaven and earth to get the guy.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Like ROR the player, but ROR the person is a huge concern. Could easily see him being a locker room problem, and there's absolutely no indication that he'd ever sign a reasonable contract (or one that takes UFA years). I wouldn't spend significant assets on him, and I think those types of concerns are why Colorado hasn't been able to move him.

Don't worry about that. Winning cures everything.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A 20 year old putting up 35 points in 47 games in the AHL is dead weight?

Ooo the AHL.

I could care less about middling prospects who may or may not have NHL 2nd line "potential" at this point.

The Caps should have everyone in their system on the table if the right deal presents itself.

Win a Cup already.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This in the Avs forum:

"(For) O'Reilly the basic asking price is a young top 4 D with term or a package including a NHL ready D prospect. Secondary need is a two way forward or scoring winger, again preferably on the young side and with term."

Looks like we could snare him with Orlov + . Meanwhile, keep Bura. If that is all the Avs are asking, I move heaven and earth to get the guy.

Bowey/Wilson+1st

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think you are being too hard on the Caps players values. Statistically, MaJo isn't far behind JVR. Add Wilson, who seems to be a league darling boy?

So how about you list what you think it would take? Look what Kane just got. Going into this season, was ROR or JVR more highly rated than him? No young players value gets torpedoed over any one bad season. It takes multiple bad seasons.

Kane just returned Stafford, 2 prospects, a first, and a defenseman swap. Neither of the prospects is as highly regarded as Wilson. MaJo has a lot more value than Stafford. Buffalo had to hold back money on Stafford.

Caps add a minor prospect, or a 2nd or something, and that's not materially different than what Kane just got.

And I think you are overestimating the desire for these teams that don't need to trade any of these guys to trade them for pieces that don't really materially make them better in any area.

First of all I don't think van Riemsdyk is getting dealt and IMO to convince the Leafs to deal him will require more than a fair deal. Johansson is very much a like for like replacement in position, age, and general level of development but with lesser overall value so what is really the point of this swap for them? And no I don't feel Wilson is thought of that highly anywhere at this point. The Caps reached for him decently to take him where they did and have absolutely butchered his development to this point. Sure he is likely to be an NHL player for a while but at anything more than a 4th liner is looking very questionable at this point IMO. So do you really think a lesser winger and a 4th liner is going to win the van Riemsdyk sweepstakes if he is actually made available? Not a chance...

Kane was damaged goods and any team trying to make the playoffs now was effectively out of the bidding because of his decision to have season ending surgery. The Jets needed to make the deal now to try to increase their odds of making and possibly doing something in the playoffs and the Sabres needed to make it now to keep as many teams out of the bidding war as possible.

None of the Leafs, Sharks, or Avs need to deal any of those guys now. Pavelski the Sharks have no need to deal at all IMO and will need to be blown away to actually deal him IMO though plenty of teams will be interested. I've already said my piece on van Riemsdyk. Yes if the Avs determine they are out of it come deadline time I could see them looking to move O'Reilly but it will be for pieces they feel they need to add to improve and that is on defense. Alzner's name comes up a lot when talking to Avs fans about O'Reilly and IMO that is just opening up a big hole somewhere else, which makes no sense. And again Orlov holds little value at this point.

So there you go. I'm not saying Johansson/Wilson/Orlov isn't a decent package. It may be even be a fair package in a bubble value wise because I agree Johansson in particular holds a decent amount of value, but it is not a package that is going to win the bidding for any of those 3 guys because Johansson doesn't fill a hole elsewhere on those teams, he simply replaces the guy leaving, and the upside of the other piece isn't anywhere close to high enough to make it worth moving those guys and not filling an actual need.

The rest of the league will offer sustantially more IMO to land any of those guys. I think if you want to land van Riemsdyk or O'Reilly you will need to include Alzner and include a much better young player than Wilson. Alzner/Burakovsky likely would do it but I wouldn't make that deal from the Caps point of view. Pavelski is going to cost at least one of Kuznetsov/Burakovsky plus a 1st this year IMO and I'm not sure that would be enough. I'd do Burakovsky/Bowey/2015 1st but I could see the Sharks getting better offers. I don't want to deal away Kuznetsov personally.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm coming around to Bergenheim and Atkinson as their best options. Both would be solid adds for a second rounder (and I'd add for Atkinson).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bergenheim over Chimera and Atkinson over Johansson depending on whoever it is. I think you could easily make the case that Bergenheim would be a more dynamic option than Laich on the checking line as well.

I tend to think they need to do more than that but from a value standpoint those two look fairly appealing.

As I see it:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - ()
() - Kuznetsov - ()
() - Fehr - Beagle
() - Latta - Wilson

Burakovsky should be able to fill one of the top six spots next season. How they go about moving the rest around is up to them. Fehr/Beagle UFA of course so no guarantee they stay. Chimera/Laich/Brouwer all under contract and Johansson RFA but all should be open to be upgraded.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Ooo the AHL.

I could care less about middling prospects who may or may not have NHL 2nd line "potential" at this point.

The guy was a 3rd round pick in 2012, was a top scorer in the WHL, and is in his first season of pro hockey and doing well. Plenty of guys sort of struggle in their first season out of juniors and still go on to have nice NHL careers.

Why don't know you just admit you never heard of the kid, didn't bother to look him up, and simply don't know what you are talking about in this case? Its ok, we all do it...

capsfan3

Feb 2, 2015
If Frandson brought in a 1st I think moving Green by the deadline could bring in a overpayment to the Caps.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Looks like we could snare him with Orlov + .

Orlov has very little value at this point IMO. If he comes back this season, gets a decent amount of games, and proves he is still on the same development trajectory then I could definitely see him having value in the offseason but not before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad