Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I'm sure he's been working the phones all summer and has an idea. Teams would want to wait till the number comes out you would think? Unless there was some sort of trade and then extension announced which seems unlikely.
I guess your last sentence is what I’m wondering. Maybe he has more value to a team if they can lock him up before the ruling? Otherwise they’d have to take him on his word that he would eventually extend there, and I wouldn’t take Trouba on his word, ever.

I’m just worrying about squeezing every bit of value that we can out of him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Is this all speculation (that Trouba wants out) or has there been any info leaked? Is it not possible that they agreed to go to arbitration with the understanding it would determine the rate for a long term deal?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this all speculation (that Trouba wants out) or has there been any info leaked? Is it not possible that they agreed to go to arbitration with the understanding it would determine the rate for a long term deal?
I keep hearing he doesn't want out. He just wants a lot more money than Jets think he's worth/can afford long term. We do have lots of guys to sign and they may not be comfortable going outside their structure.

Reactions: ps241

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If the Jets aren’t offering Trouba a deal like Dumba’s, that’s bad business on their part. If Trouba isn’t accepting a deal like Dumba’s, that foolish on his part. Or he isn’t planning to sign long term.

My guess is it went to arbitration because there still was a big gap between offer and ask, obviously, but Dumba’s deal should close that gap considerably, imo. That’s a decent comparable.

Jets likely hope to get him under $6, closer to $5, but he’s worth $6 in today’s NHL salary structure. As high as $6.5, in my eyes.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If the Jets aren’t offering Trouba a deal like Dumba’s, that’s bad business on their part. If Trouba isn’t accepting a deal like Dumba’s, that foolish on his part. Or he isn’t planning to sign long term.

My guess is it went to arbitration because there still was a big gap between offer and ask, obviously, but Dumba’s deal should close that gap considerably, imo. That’s a decent comparable.

Jets likely hope to get him under $6, closer to $5, but he’s worth $6 in today’s NHL salary structure. As high as $6.5, in my eyes.
IIRC Jets offered him a 6x5.5M couple years ago....Since then, Trouba's play has improved, the caps gotten bigger and he's gotten closer to UFA. I think Chevy is factoring all this and offering a fair deal. Overhardt/Trouba's camp either don't want to be a Jet long-term or just trying to make Chevy sweat. We will find out soon.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

Sure the Jets hope to get Trouba for closer to 5 but they know that won't happen for a long term deal. I believe Trouba has declined a 5 plus year deal at 6 per.

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
It isn't the only move they can make is it?

Also I believe Detroit should take a long term approach. Maybe they wont. But most would agree a top D equates a near top C. The point being that those players are the types of return I think should be looked at. Obviously not every target will be hit. Detroit needs better players period so while it may appear a deal for Larkin would require a 1B C it isn't a must imo. With Larkin having KO as an agent the chance of the Jets wanting that trade is basically none I would think,

Trocheck would be a tough get of course but as I said a secured Trouba should engage conversation. His low dollar contract obviously makes him more attractive, to Florida and other teams. Obviously I am aware of how ice time is allocated.

Situations change and that is why I would be open to trading Trouba if no long term deal will be had. That could be sooner or later. Much like Chevy knew he would trade EK9 he waited till things were right for the Jets. Teams desires and needs are fluid, what is today isn't always what is tomorrow.

It isn't the only move they can make, but ask the Habs how easy it is to acquire top6 centers. Also, for a long term approach, is a 21yo not more suited than Trouba?
You can look at those players, but if you actually look into it from the other team's perspective I think you'll find pretty soon that they shouldn't be available in such a trade.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
It isn't the only move they can make, but ask the Habs how easy it is to acquire top6 centers. Also, for a long term approach, is a 21yo not more suited than Trouba?
You can look at those players, but if you actually look into it from the other team's perspective I think you'll find pretty soon that they shouldn't be available in such a trade.
Debatable if Larkin is a better long term player than Trouba.

Shattenkirk basically got Brayden Schenn, it isn't go to the drive through and place your order but it is doable.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I was going to say I really like Colton Parayko until I saw that contract *woof*

What do you guys think of Rasmus Ristolainen. Could fit in with the Finnish feel we are building here. Young, big, cheap. Maybe he could be a potential?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
What do you guys think of Rasmus Ristolainen. Could fit in with the Finnish feel we are building here. Young, big, cheap. Maybe he could be a potential?

The only thing he seems to be able to do well is score on the power play.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
2 players with 13 years till ufa on elc's for a player that will be one in 2 years who wants the moon. Why wouldn't tampa go for that. Sergachev did score about 5x the goals that Trouba did as a 19 year old too.

I think the idea of a Trouba trade to Tampa is that he would extend long term to play there. We would have to add to get Foote, that may not be realistic. But Sergachyev is a stud and could be awesome for us for a long time. A very small drop off from Trouba.

Instead of Foote maybe we go after a Chris Tanev to stabilize the right side.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I think that he is probably affected by the ****show that is the Buffalo Sabres though

He probably is somewhat, but I don't think that's worth taking the risk. He's never had any good results at even strength.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What about something around Shea Theodore and one of their prospects for Trouba and one of ours. I know we keep focusing on RHD return but our LHD is not looking so good in the near future either. I feel Kulikov will be moved for cap reason next summer and Niku is our only near ready prospect.
JMo, Buff, Theodore, Myers, Kulikov, Poolman could work no? Then Niku slots in for Kuli evevtually.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
What about something around Shea Theodore and one of their prospects for Trouba and one of ours. I know we keep focusing on RHD return but our LHD is not looking so good in the near future either. I feel Kulikov will be moved for cap reason next summer and Niku is our only near ready prospect.
JMo, Buff, Theodore, Myers, Kulikov, Poolman could work no? Then Niku slots in for Kuli evevtually.
Not opposed to a player other than a RHD however Jets are far deeper in LHD future D's then RHD.

Niku, Samberg and Stanley all should slot on the roster within 1 to 3 years.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I really really hope Trouba gets traded to Detroit if he needs to be moved. He can enjoy his arbitration award, which will presumably be less than Chevy would offer on a long-term deal, on a bottom feeder.

That’s a lie. If I put my spite aside, I hope he’s traded to whoever gives the Jets the best return.

I'm hanging onto my spite, and hoping for both the best return and that he ends up somewhere that makes him hellishly miserable for the next two years. Plus, maybe other things that can't be mentioned cause... you know, forum rules.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Eklund reporting Wings, Leafs and NYI all offering big deals to Chevy for Trouba. Eklund, meh........but never know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad