Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Yeah absolutely getting rid of some non-core pieces to fit under the cap needs to be done, but as I wrote in the poll thread Stastny was instrumental in us beating Nashville, but we still lost to Vegas and the next time we meet them he’ll be playing against us.
What did Stastny do against Vegas?
Zero ... nothing he had one assist ... the same as Little.
Stastny looked good because of his lineup mates ... it works both ways.
I'm glad the Jets did not sign him at that price. He would have brought down the team and made them weaker.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm glad the Jets did not sign him at that price. He would have brought down the team and made them weaker.
We need the young guys (roslovic) to be put in roles to succeed. We have enough young talent to fill all the holes, they just need some time. Start them out at the very beginning of the year and let them go.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The only name I can think of that has been thrown out there is Klefbom, but I'm not sure if Chiarelli has come to his senses since those reports were aired.

I don't think I want any part in trading a #1 RHD for a #5 RHD and a C prospect with decent upside. I reckon we should just go for futures and cap space. Is it of any use to get an old one-year rental and some B prospects for a very valuable asset? I don't think so. Not a fan of trading for both futures and current pieces at once.
Jets dont come out on top or break-even with Klefbom in a 1 for 1. Even then, will Trouba extend in EDM cuz it's likely no deal on EDM's end if he doesn't, also do they have cap room?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If trouba was on another team and held out 2 years and asked for trade and then goes to arbitration this year and is 2 years away from being an ufa does anybody believe chevy would trade a Morrissey or ehlers or a connor for him. Not a chance in hell. These are basically what I'm reading here for trade proposals. All you are getting for him is a player not nearly as good with a little more term back or a player as Good with 2 years on their contract till they become an ufa. Or some picks and b prospects. 2 years ago he should have been traded.

Reactions: angrymnky

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Stastny like almost every Jet did very little against Vegas. No question he impacted the series against Nashville in a very meaningful way.

Reactions: robertocarlos

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
simple solution:

Trouba plus to Tampa for Sergachyev and Foote. Sergachyev provides the star power that Trouba has, Foote provides still needed depth on the right side.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
simple solution:

Trouba plus to Tampa for Sergachyev and Foote. Sergachyev provides the star power that Trouba has, Foote provides still needed depth on the right side.

In order to get both of them that + is going to have to be more than we are willing to give up I think.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
simple solution:

2 players with 13 years till ufa on elc's for a player that will be one in 2 years who wants the moon. Why wouldn't tampa go for that. Sergachev did score about 5x the goals that Trouba did as a 19 year old too.

Reactions: angrymnky

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Had the thought that maybe the route to take is to trade Trouba to a team for a couple of 1st round picks and then in turn use those picks as currency to acquire a D/centre elsewhere in a separate trade or trades.

Last edited:

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Larkin is Detroit's #1C. Trocheck plays more than 20 minutes per game. Those players are not available.
Larkin scored 17 and 16 goals the last 2 years in full seasons, he may be Detroit's top C but he is not a top tier C by any stretch.

Trouba plays more that 20 minutes as well and tough minutes. It's not Myers being offered.

Those players may not be easily available but they are for the right offer which certainly could have Trouba as the key piece, especially if the team getting him can ensure it is long term.

"Not available" is a lazy default, lots of better players have been traded, and recently. May not be 1 800 dial a trade but that position wasn't what was stated.

Reactions: Snowman

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Larkin scored 17 and 16 goals the last 2 years in full seasons, he may be Detroit's top C but he is not a top tier C by any stretch.

Trouba plays more that 20 minutes as well and tough minutes. It's not Myers being offered.

Those players may not be easily available but they are for the right offer which certainly could have Trouba as the key piece, especially if the team getting him can ensure it is long term.

"Not available" is a lazy default, lots of better players have been traded, and recently. May not be 1 800 dial a trade but that position wasn't what was stated.
Larkin at the very least has 4 yeas left and has given no indicaton he wont stay longer trouba is a rfa in 2 years. Detroit wouldn't trade larkin for panarin or karlsson let alone trouba. Who is giVing up a player they could have for a decade for a player with 1 or 2 years left till they walk

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Larkin at the very least has 4 yeas left and has given no indicaton he wont stay longer trouba is a rfa in 2 years. Detroit wouldn't trade larkin for panarin or karlsson let alone trouba. Who is giVing up a player they could have for a decade for a player with 1 or 2 years left till they walk
The difference is Panarin and Karlsson aren't from Michigan nor are they likely to want to resign there. That certainly MAY be the case with Trouba.

Detroit could have Trouba for a decade too if you want to speculate right? Did Ottawa give up a lot for someone in the same situation? Let's not pretend Trouba isn't a very good young D man who slots into a very important role for any team he may be on.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Yah, that's the basic trade boards fallacy we've seen so often.

Step one: find target you really want (Trouba)
Step two: find flaws (lack of PP production, injuries, holdout two years ago)
Step three: conclude that due to flaws the player is "available for the right offer"
Step four: ignore team needs ("This top6 winger could certainly be the key piece of the right offer that could land Trouba")

Detroit's centers are Larkin, a 37-year-old Zetterberg who hasn't even decided yet if he's going to play next season, 34-year-old Frans Nielsen who scored 33 points last season, and a couple of bottom six center/wingers who have never scored 35 points in their careers (Helm, Glendening). Their only center prospect of note is 19 years old.

You think they would make Larkin available for the "right offer"? I think so too, but the "right offer" clearly must be a high-end center.
Do you think Trouba is good enough that they would entertain going into next season with Nielsen and Helm being their top6 centers?

(I also hope you're aware that 20 minutes as a forward and 20 minutes as a defenseman are different. 19 forwards averaged over 20 minutes last year leaguewide. Trocheck ranks 6th in TOI/GP.)

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The difference is Panarin and Karlsson aren't from Michigan nor are they likely to want to resign there. That certainly MAY be the case with Trouba.

Detroit could have Trouba for a decade too if you want to speculate right? Did Ottawa give up a lot for someone in the same situation? Let's not pretend Trouba isn't a very good young D man who slots into a very important role for any team he may be on.
I'm not saying he's not good. I'm saying he has no term and that matters more. and larkin does. And because he is from Michigan doesn't mean much. Holland would never take that chance on a player just because he was from Michigan. You can slot him in anywhere you want but there is a real chance he could leave in 2 years so nobody is going to give you as much as he is worth.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder what the other Jet players think of Trouba ... I know I'm getting sick of him and his agent's games.

By all accounts from people I know he is popular in the room. This is business and each player goes through it.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
By all accounts from people I know he is popular in the room. This is business and each player goes through it.
I get its a business but lets put it this way:
If there is a job I'm bidding on along with three other companies and they all bid 6 million dollars and I bid 7.5 million dollars to complete the same job at the same quality then am I a smart businessman? Is my bid realistic? Will I get the bid or be out of business soon?
Business side of sport is one thing but some people have their head in the clouds. Is his dad doing the math for him?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I get its a business but lets put it this way:
If there is a job I'm bidding on along with three other companies and they all bid 6 million dollars and I bid 7.5 million dollars to complete the same job at the same quality then am I a smart businessman? Is my bid realistic? Will I get the bid or be out of business soon?
Business side of sport is one thing but some people have their head in the clouds. Is his dad doing the math for him?

In this case my comments were limited to the post I quoted in the sense I don’t think these negotiations will impact Jacobs relationship with his teammates too any great extent. These guys have all been through it. He is a player and he is probably letting his Advisors run the negotiations. I am not saying what jacob is doing is smart per say but the negotiation process is hardly unique to him.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Yah, that's the basic trade boards fallacy we've seen so often.

Step one: find target you really want (Trouba)
Step two: find flaws (lack of PP production, injuries, holdout two years ago)
Step three: conclude that due to flaws the player is "available for the right offer"
Step four: ignore team needs ("This top6 winger could certainly be the key piece of the right offer that could land Trouba")

Detroit's centers are Larkin, a 37-year-old Zetterberg who hasn't even decided yet if he's going to play next season, 34-year-old Frans Nielsen who scored 33 points last season, and a couple of bottom six center/wingers who have never scored 35 points in their careers (Helm, Glendening). Their only center prospect of note is 19 years old.

You think they would make Larkin available for the "right offer"? I think so too, but the "right offer" clearly must be a high-end center.
Do you think Trouba is good enough that they would entertain going into next season with Nielsen and Helm being their top6 centers?

(I also hope you're aware that 20 minutes as a forward and 20 minutes as a defenseman are different. 19 forwards averaged over 20 minutes last year leaguewide. Trocheck ranks 6th in TOI/GP.)
It isn't the only move they can make is it?

Also I believe Detroit should take a long term approach. Maybe they wont. But most would agree a top D equates a near top C. The point being that those players are the types of return I think should be looked at. Obviously not every target will be hit. Detroit needs better players period so while it may appear a deal for Larkin would require a 1B C it isn't a must imo. With Larkin having KO as an agent the chance of the Jets wanting that trade is basically none I would think,

Trocheck would be a tough get of course but as I said a secured Trouba should engage conversation. His low dollar contract obviously makes him more attractive, to Florida and other teams. Obviously I am aware of how ice time is allocated.

Situations change and that is why I would be open to trading Trouba if no long term deal will be had. That could be sooner or later. Much like Chevy knew he would trade EK9 he waited till things were right for the Jets. Teams desires and needs are fluid, what is today isn't always what is tomorrow.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I'm not saying he's not good. I'm saying he has no term and that matters more. and larkin does. And because he is from Michigan doesn't mean much. Holland would never take that chance on a player just because he was from Michigan. You can slot him in anywhere you want but there is a real chance he could leave in 2 years so nobody is going to give you as much as he is worth.
Michigan MAY matter to Trouba, that is the point on that. You research the Duchene trade yet?

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I really really hope Trouba gets traded to Detroit if he needs to be moved. He can enjoy his arbitration award, which will presumably be less than Chevy would offer on a long-term deal, on a bottom feeder.

That’s a lie. If I put my spite aside, I hope he’s traded to whoever gives the Jets the best return.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I wonder if Chevy is working all day today to trade Trouba before the arbitration ruling is announced? Can that even happen?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if Chevy is working all day today to trade Trouba before the arbitration ruling is announced? Can that even happen?
I'm sure he's been working the phones all summer and has an idea. Teams would want to wait till the number comes out you would think? Unless there was some sort of trade and then extension announced which seems unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad