Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Let's just say we will be a bit disappointed in the return...

Not like we would get nothing back for him. But another GM isnt going to hand us a top line center or defender for Trouba. Not when he is demanding a huge payday and willing to walk on us.

Leafs are honestly the team that sticks out like a sore thumb to me as a trade partner. Nylander is probably the best player league wide I could see us getting back for Trouba. I'm sure theres something I'm missing, that's off the top of my head.

Now a Liljegren+ Kapanen + maybe a pick type deal makes much more sense for us.

I'm almost fine just keeping him cheap for two years, working around that and trying to win a Cup in the mean time. It's not our fault if he doesn't wanna stay
Some definitely will be disappointed, I don't think all will though.

Keeping him for 2 years and trying to win Cup isn't what I would do nor what I expect the Jets to do. IF it was that it meant we won a CUP? Well that changes things but of course that can not be guaranteed at all.

Personally I would move him when I believed the best return was available. A conversation I had today with someone that should have some insight was that the Jets would not move him this year and revisit this all again next year.

If that is the case I think his value/return is less but at minimum you would get a first a prospect and a plus. I personally would not pass that up for one last year of a player that refused or decided to not commit long term to the Jets.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Stralman
Foote
Good forward prospect (Katchouk or Raddysh)

Stralman gives the Jets a strong defensive RD for this season.

Foote is a very good RD prospect.

Restock the cupboards at F.

If it comes to it I would look to something like that.

Reactions: Stej

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Stralman
Foote

TBL would have to jump through serious hoops for the cap next year. JT Millers NTC would have kicked in too by then

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Stralman
Foote

Doesn't look bad but Stralman has a modified NTC and is in the last year of his contract.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Detroit is in a horrific cap crunch themselves. They can barely fit Larkin in with help from LTIR.
Let's see what KO does with this situation then. As we know though cap situations are fluid. A low dollar hit ( relative ) for this year may be attractive for Detroit then, and another low cost player that would slide in and allow them to move a pricier option.

Substantial salary is off the books next year for them.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Let's see what KO does with this situation then. As we know though cap situations are fluid. A low dollar hit ( relative ) for this year may be attractive for Detroit then, and another low cost player that would slide in and allow them to move a pricier option.

Substantial salary is off the books next year for them.
Nope. We're talking about a team managed by Ken Holland. They're going to fill up whatever cap space they have with more castoffs.

In all seriousness, you're right. Z should LTIRetire next year, Howard's deal is up, Nyquist is probably rented this year and Kronwall must be close to retirement. That's 20 million or so freed up. They just have to figure out the Larkin situation now and avoid any further expensive UFAs.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Nope. We're talking about a team managed by Ken Holland. They're going to fill up whatever cap space they have with more castoffs.

In all seriousness, you're right. Z should LTIRetire next year, Howard's deal is up, Nyquist is probably rented this year and Kronwall must be close to retirement. That's 20 million or so freed up. They just have to figure out the Larkin situation now and avoid any further expensive UFAs.
Howard may be gone as well. The KO association almost assuredly precludes the possibility of a deal otherwise, it could be manageable.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
So Trouba is all but gone? WTF, Jets getting worse by the week this off season!

Haha yeah.

Lost:
Trouba (1?D)
Stastny (2C)
Enström (4?D)
Armia (3W)
Mason (2G)

Gained:
Brossoit (“2”G)

Just wow. We may be in serious trouble, and will top rankings for team that regressed the most. This while Leafs signed Tavares, Vegas Stastny etc.

Reactions: sipowicz

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I want either a lateral trade in the same position, or something slightly lower in quality of D. I would love to see if the Jets could do a Trouba for Pesce trade.

Canes would need to add a fair bit. Why would they?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I want either a lateral trade in the same position, or something slightly lower in quality of D. I would love to see if the Jets could do a Trouba for Pesce trade.
Pesce is on a steal of a contract for what he brings. Seems like he is their Morrissey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Dylan Larkin, massaged as needed would interest both teams I believe. Vincent Trocheck again with tweaks, both destinations should be on Trouba's favourite lists.

Love to get Larkin but I doubt DRW are willing. Both of those suggestions strengthen us down the middle and are win now moves. Unfortunately, they do nothing about RD.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Haha yeah.

Lost:
Trouba (1?D)
Stastny (2C)
Enström (4?D)
Armia (3W)
Mason (2G)

Gained:
Brossoit (“2”G)

Just wow. We may be in serious trouble, and will top rankings for team that regressed the most. This while Leafs signed Tavares, Vegas Stastny etc.
Trouba wasn't and isn't lost.

Mason contributed virtually nothing, ( not his fault ) so not a real loss.

Stastny is a definite loss, Jets wanted and want a strong 2C, no question.

Armia was a good/decent piece but certainly replaceable.

Improvements from still ascending players should and hopefully make the Jets better. Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic realistically have a lot of upside. There is room for growth from others too, plus young talent like Vesalainen, Niku, Lemieux and Appleton is not inconceivable by the end of the season.

Really one significant loss.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Trouba wasn't and isn't lost.

Mason contributed virtually nothing, ( not his fault ) so not a real loss.

Stastny is a definite loss, Jets wanted and want a strong 2C, no question.

Armia was a good/decent piece but certainly replaceable.

Improvements from still ascending players should and hopefully make the Jets better. Laine, Ehlers, Roslovic realistically have a lot of upside. There is room for growth from others too, plus young talent like Vesalainen, Niku, Lemieux and Appleton is not inconceivable by the end of the season.

Really one significant loss.

I made a poll about the pre-season so far, please go there and vote :)

Yeah not all of them were in any way core players, but for example swapping Brossoit in for Mason worries me a lot. Yeah Mason was injured last season but that happens, doesn’t take away from the fact that we downgraded our G.

Maybe losing Armia etc is not a deal-breaker, but I see most of these as steps backward.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Love to get Larkin but I doubt DRW are willing. Both of those suggestions strengthen us down the middle and are win now moves. Unfortunately, they do nothing about RD.
Not sure if they are likely, but they would make the Jets better at C and we KNOW they want that. That also impacts the wingers on the team which is a real strength that could be measurably better.

Perhaps enough to not need an immediate equal replacement for Trouba, maybe not. But you then have assets to use to fill with a player not as good but good enough at RD. Those moves help for a lot longer than just now though.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Here's a list of "top" NHL defensemen. Who on this list would be fair and possibly available in a trade for Trouba?
1. Victor Hedman, TBL
2. P.K. Subban, NSH
3. Brent Burns, SJS
4. Dustin Byfuglien, WPG
5. Erik Karlsson, OTT*
6. Seth Jones, CBJ
7. Drew Doughty, LAK
8. John Klingberg, DAL
9. John Carlson, WSH
10. Roman Josi, NSH
11. Shayne Gostisbehere, PHI
12. Dougie Hamilton, CAR
13. Torey Krug, BOS
14. Tyson Barrie, COL
15. Rasmus Dahlin, BUF
16. Kris Letang, PIT
17. Alex Pietrangelo, STL
18. Ryan Ellis, NSH*
19. Charlie McAvoy, BOS**
20. Keith Yandle, FLA
21. Ivan Provorov, PHI (INJ.)**
22. Mark Giordano, CGY
23. Zach Werenski, CBJ**
24. Matt Dumba, MIN (RFA)
25. Morgan Rielly, TOR
26. Aaron Ekblad, FLA
27. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, ARI
28. Rasmus Ristolainen, BUF
29. Jake Gardiner, TOR*
30. Ryan Suter, MIN (INJ.)
31. Mikhail Sergachev, TBL
32. Jake Muzzin, LAK
33. Brandon Montour, ANA (RFA)
34. Shea Theodore, VGK (RFA)
35. Erik Johnson, COL (INJ.)
36. Colin Miller, VGK
37. Colton Parayko, STL
38. Ryan Pulock, NYI
39. Justin Faulk, CAR (INJ.)
40. Justin Schultz, PIT (NEW)
41. Sami Vatanen, NJD (INJ.)
42. Will Butcher, NJD**
43. Mike Green, DET (NEW)
44. Kevin Shattenkirk, NYR (INJ.)
45. Darnell Nurse, EDM - RFA (NEW)
46. Mike Matheson, FLA (NEW)
47. Cam Fowler, ANA (INJ.)
48. Duncan Keith, CHI (NEW)
49. Jared Spurgeon, MIN
50. Ryan McDonagh, TBL

We aren't trading him in 2018-19 unless the team is. Inexplicably bad and how if we are rushing headlong o the playoffs in 2019-20 do we trade him at the deadline?

Wrong side but what about Matheson and something from FLA?

Reactions: Jetsetter

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah not all of them were in any way core players, but for example swapping Brossoit in for Mason worries me a lot. Yeah Mason was injured last season but that happens, doesn’t take away from the fact that we downgraded our G.

Maybe losing Armia etc is not a deal-breaker, but I see most of these as steps backward.
Of course they are. The cap prevents such stacked team as the Jets of last year from dominating for long periods of time...

...which is why smart teams keep the truly important players and ditch those who are more easily replaceable. While not everybody we lost is that, they weren't parts of the core that brought us far. Stastny was a rental, so he doesn't really count here despite his great impact. Armia and Enstrom were bottom six/pairing guys. Mason was a backup goalie, and the difference between their impacts in one season is rarely enormous. A couple of little downgrades here and there add up, but they aren't breaking our season. *knocks on wood*

Now, if we lose Trouba... then I'd start worrying. A LOT.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

Brossoit is a move that has some questions for sure. However he has been pretty highly regarded by some people who's opinion I value and there should be a couple of decent if not better options prior to the season.

Goalies often get placed on waivers and it would not at all surprise me if we wait or get one for a mid round pick.

I am as a big a fan of Stastny here as there is, and fully believed and expected the Jets to try to sign him from the moment he was acquired. We all should know the Jets feel that position is one they want to get a player for. I still feel that. I think the makeup of the team is better structured like that.

Regular season means very little. All they need to do is make the playoffs, duplicating their point total from last here is not at all a must. Nor should it be a goal.

I would really prefer the Jets don't use next years number one and a prospect like Foley ( ie Lemieux, Appleton ) to get a 2C next trade deadline. If they do though this team should be better from internal improvement. Yes other teams will be as well, but the Jets would be in that small group of realistic Cup contenders.

I don't think Roslovic is there yet, but he could absolutely be that 2C that is both wanted and needed. Perhaps by next April, that would make a huge impact.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'll hold my hand over the panic button, just in case

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

Lateral will be tough, seeing that the Jets have zero leverage now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad