Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Of course they are. The cap prevents such stacked team as the Jets of last year from dominating for long periods of time...

...which is why smart teams keep the truly important players and ditch those who are more easily replaceable. While not everybody we lost is that, they weren't parts of the core that brought us far. Stastny was a rental, so he doesn't really count here despite his great impact. Armia and Enstrom were bottom six/pairing guys. Mason was a backup goalie, and the difference between their impacts in one season is rarely enormous. A couple of little downgrades here and there add up, but they aren't breaking our season. *knocks on wood*

Now, if we lose Trouba... then I'd start worrying. A LOT.

Yeah absolutely getting rid of some non-core pieces to fit under the cap needs to be done, but as I wrote in the poll thread Stastny was instrumental in us beating Nashville, but we still lost to Vegas and the next time we meet them he’ll be playing against us. That in combination with downgrading on G and the very real possibility of losing Trouba has made this off-season a pain, at least for me.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Haha yeah.

Lost:
Trouba (1?D)
Stastny (2C)
Enström (4?D)
Armia (3W)
Mason (2G)

Gained:
Brossoit (“2”G)

Just wow. We may be in serious trouble, and will top rankings for team that regressed the most. This while Leafs signed Tavares, Vegas Stastny etc.

Gained:
Vesalainen
Poolman
Roslo full time

Still not great but can’t forget

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure if they are likely, but they would make the Jets better at C and we KNOW they want that. That also impacts the wingers on the team which is a real strength that could be measurably better.

Perhaps enough to not need an immediate equal replacement for Trouba, maybe not. But you then have assets to use to fill with a player not as good but good enough at RD. Those moves help for a lot longer than just now though.

I just don't think Larkin is available for Trouba. A couple of side issues have already been pointed out, KO representing Larkin for one, :laugh: DRW's cap situation for another.

Now, Trouba on an arb contract might cost them less than what Larkin will need this year but not by a huge amount. They will probably try to bridge Larkin. But still, 3 need to sign 3 players, including Larkin and have <3 mil cap space left. LTIR might gain them a bit more. But then they will need 1 more player.

Trocheck is probably not as difficult to pry loose. He's not as desirable either.

I think Borgstrom looks promising enough, and near NHL ready enough to be worth the risk. Him + Petrovic. Petrovic plays 2RD behind Buff. Petrovic is a pending UFA. Makes him less attractive but at the same time maybe more attainable.

I'm not sure of the value. The main piece coming back is an unproven prospect. But I think it is close. You have to accept a certain amount of risk and the reward might be a young 1b C. Choose between Myers and Petrovic. Extend 1 and move the other for a good pick that adds to the overall value.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I just don't think Larkin is available for Trouba. A couple of side issues have already been pointed out, KO representing Larkin for one, :laugh: DRW's cap situation for another.

Now, Trouba on an arb contract might cost them less than what Larkin will need this year but not by a huge amount. They will probably try to bridge Larkin. But still, 3 need to sign 3 players, including Larkin and have <3 mil cap space left. LTIR might gain them a bit more. But then they will need 1 more player.

Trocheck is probably not as difficult to pry loose. He's not as desirable either.

I think Borgstrom looks promising enough, and near NHL ready enough to be worth the risk. Him + Petrovic. Petrovic plays 2RD behind Buff. Petrovic is a pending UFA. Makes him less attractive but at the same time maybe more attainable.

I'm not sure of the value. The main piece coming back is an unproven prospect. But I think it is close. You have to accept a certain amount of risk and the reward might be a young 1b C. Choose between Myers and Petrovic. Extend 1 and move the other for a good pick that adds to the overall value.
Right now Trocheck is a better player than Larkin imo. There is an age factor going forward but you ask me which player I want the next few years I take Trocheck.

I think Florida would be highly reluctant to part with him and his really appealing contract, Trouba should get a discussion going though.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
There are absolutely no guarantees Vesalainen and Poolman will make the team. It is more probable they won’t at this point in time.
I think it is probable that Poolman does initially and think Vesalainen is a possible late season add.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gained:
Vesalainen
Poolman
Roslo full time

Still not great but can’t forget

Way too soon to count Vesalainen.

Poolman is a 3RD. He would fill the spot that Myers held last year so that is a downgrade (well, maybe).

Roslovic is an upgrade if he can play C. Otherwise he is a more offensive, less defensive replacement for Armia. A wash.

Hard to see any real gains there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Right now Trocheck is a better player than Larkin imo. There is an age factor going forward but you ask me which player I want the next few years I take Trocheck.

I think Florida would be highly reluctant to part with him and his really appealing contract, Trouba should get a discussion going though.

Maybe, but Larkin is on a pretty nice trajectory. And then looking longer term there is his age advantage.

But again, I doubt Trocheck would be available either. It would start a conversation. Who knows where it might go. We do have other assets we could add if the conversation gets serious.

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
I hope the jets get a big offensive player for trouba, guys like like laine and ehlers need line mates like that.
Anders Lee from the islanders is a good one.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Here's a list of "top" NHL defensemen. Who on this list would be fair and possibly available in a trade for Trouba?
1. Victor Hedman, TBL
2. P.K. Subban, NSH
3. Brent Burns, SJS
4. Dustin Byfuglien, WPG
5. Erik Karlsson, OTT*
6. Seth Jones, CBJ
7. Drew Doughty, LAK
8. John Klingberg, DAL
9. John Carlson, WSH
10. Roman Josi, NSH
11. Shayne Gostisbehere, PHI
12. Dougie Hamilton, CAR
13. Torey Krug, BOS
14. Tyson Barrie, COL
15. Rasmus Dahlin, BUF
16. Kris Letang, PIT
17. Alex Pietrangelo, STL
18. Ryan Ellis, NSH*
19. Charlie McAvoy, BOS**
20. Keith Yandle, FLA
21. Ivan Provorov, PHI (INJ.)**
22. Mark Giordano, CGY
23. Zach Werenski, CBJ**
24. Matt Dumba, MIN (RFA)
25. Morgan Rielly, TOR
26. Aaron Ekblad, FLA
27. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, ARI
28. Rasmus Ristolainen, BUF
29. Jake Gardiner, TOR*
30. Ryan Suter, MIN (INJ.)
31. Mikhail Sergachev, TBL
32. Jake Muzzin, LAK
33. Brandon Montour, ANA (RFA)
34. Shea Theodore, VGK (RFA)
35. Erik Johnson, COL (INJ.)
36. Colin Miller, VGK
37. Colton Parayko, STL
38. Ryan Pulock, NYI
39. Justin Faulk, CAR (INJ.)
40. Justin Schultz, PIT (NEW)
41. Sami Vatanen, NJD (INJ.)
42. Will Butcher, NJD**
43. Mike Green, DET (NEW)
44. Kevin Shattenkirk, NYR (INJ.)
45. Darnell Nurse, EDM - RFA (NEW)
46. Mike Matheson, FLA (NEW)
47. Cam Fowler, ANA (INJ.)
48. Duncan Keith, CHI (NEW)
49. Jared Spurgeon, MIN
50. Ryan McDonagh, TBL
I like Trouba for Byfuglien :sarcasm:

Reactions: sipowicz

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Haha yeah.

Lost:
Trouba (1?D)
Stastny (2C)
Enström (4?D)
Armia (3W)
Mason (2G)

Gained:
Brossoit (“2”G)

Just wow. We may be in serious trouble, and will top rankings for team that regressed the most. This while Leafs signed Tavares, Vegas Stastny etc.
Does Tavares play D
Does Stastny play goal
No worries

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I hope the jets get a big offensive player for trouba, guys like like laine and ehlers need line mates like that.
Anders Lee from the islanders is a good one.
Lee is good but he doesn't fill a need. Pulock intrigues me though from the isles

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If Karlsson were willing to waive I'd totally be down.

Maybe Trouba, Roslovic, Petan, Dano, Comrie, 1st 2019 and 2nd 2019 to Florida for Ekblad and Barkov. Scheifele knows Ekblad and Laine knows Barkov, going after these two makes so much sense.

To Dallas for Heiskanen?

Hard to find a team that'd be a very good fit for or one that'd want him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Maybe Trouba, Roslovic, Petan, Dano, Comrie, 1st 2019 and 2nd 2019 to Florida for Ekblad and Barkov. Scheifele knows Ekblad and Laine knows Barkov, going after these two makes so much sense.

To Dallas for Heiskanen?

These are excessively complicated, in my view. I think it would most likely be a current roster player and a pick/prospect and prospect. I can't see Karlsson signing long-term with the Jets, so you can't give up a huge package for him that kills the Jets depth, which is a strength of their franchise now.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'd trade Trou for Dum. Save money on name changes.

Are those D in order from top to bottom? Maybe the Jets can fleece Buffalo.

It's not going to be easy making this trade.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think Poolman is very good, and will be in the lineup one way or another.

I sure hope Maurice agrees.
I don’t think Poolman makes many mistakes. He looks really solid back there and the offence will come with confidence.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Brossoit is a move that has some questions for sure. However he has been pretty highly regarded by some people who's opinion I value and there should be a couple of decent if not better options prior to the season.

Goalies often get placed on waivers and it would not at all surprise me if we wait or get one for a mid round pick.

I am as a big a fan of Stastny here as there is, and fully believed and expected the Jets to try to sign him from the moment he was acquired. We all should know the Jets feel that position is one they want to get a player for. I still feel that. I think the makeup of the team is better structured like that.

Regular season means very little. All they need to do is make the playoffs, duplicating their point total from last here is not at all a must. Nor should it be a goal.

I would really prefer the Jets don't use next years number one and a prospect like Foley ( ie Lemieux, Appleton ) to get a 2C next trade deadline. If they do though this team should be better from internal improvement. Yes other teams will be as well, but the Jets would be in that small group of realistic Cup contenders.

I don't think Roslovic is there yet, but he could absolutely be that 2C that is both wanted and needed. Perhaps by next April, that would make a huge impact.

I think Roslovic is going to surprise everyone if given the chance.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
There are absolutely no guarantees Vesalainen and Poolman will make the team. It is more probable they won’t at this point in time.

Poolman makes the team. K-Ves hasn't even signed a contract & people keep pencilling him in.

Even once K-Ves signs he's Moose bound until we moves some waiver eligible forwards and he may need some work adjusting to the North American game if that even occurs.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

To Dallas for Heiskanen?

LOL those are awful. Embarrassingly bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad