Books: A Song of Ice and Fire *SPOILERS* Part XV

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Dance was between different Targaryen factions called the Blacks and the Greens (both sides had real dragons) while Blackfyres were Targaryen ******** (Bittersteel etc.) who attacked from Essos a number of times (dragons were all gone by that time I think). I guess you could call Blackfyre rebellions civil wars, I just think that the Dance is always refered as the Targaryen civil war as both sides had a legitimate Targaryen leader and contender for the throne and dragon fought dragon, while Blackfyres were not legitimate.

Exactly.

The Dance has a lot of really amazing subplots (Criston the Kingmaker, Rhaenys the Queen Who Never Was, Prince Daemon and all his crazy adventures, the saga of the Dragonseeds).

Plus, dragon v. dragon.

The Blackfyre Rebellions were interesting (mostly the first, and mostly because of Bloodraven), but not nearly as epic as the Dance.

The Dance was a true civil war. The Blackfyre wars were just uprisings, more akin to the Greyjoy Rebellion.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Darkstar, the true king of Westeros.

On Crusader Kings 2 mod I started before the events of AGoT as Darkstar and married him to Daenerys. Ned Dayne died of the Bloody Flux then I assassinated Allyria to become Lord of Starfall. King Robert discovers you're harboring an exile, giving you the ability to declare war to press Danerys' claim. I then assassinated him with the help of Cersei so Joffrey would ascend to the throne, making it easier to recruit his vassals to my cause. Won the war making Daenerys Queen and Darkstar the King and making beautiful children with silver hair and purple eyes :yo:

I may need to brush up on my Targaryen lineage, but isn't it true that under Dornish law Doran is the true King of Westeros with Arianne as his heir? As Aegon IV's oldest child was Daenerys who wed the prince of Dorne.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
it is going to be 8 years between books

previously it had been 5 to 6 years

Sad if it is true it will be 8 full years and the series will be done by the time it comes

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I still think he's going to finish at some point. Or at least, there's a better chance we get two more ASoIaF books than there is that we get Doors of Stone.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In semi-related news, book #3 in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series, Oathbringer, just came out. I've never criticized GRRM for his slow writing but all things considered he's clearly fallen to the #2 spot of may favourite fantasy authors behind Sanderson. Seems like much of the same extra stuff that GRRM does
(HBO aside) yet is still able to keep up a good pace with his main series.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm not sure I care a this point. The series will likely wrap things up.

At this point I'd rather the show finish first anyway. If the books come out, they come out. If they don't, it'll definitely be disappointing, but it's not the end of the world.

Of course that all depends on how they wrap the show up. If it's a flop, then we'll really be left wondering if Martin's ending was better. At least if it's satisfying on screen we'll have a good ending and it would cushion the blow of not getting the books.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Don't get too excited by this thread bump lads, Winds of Winter hasn't been announced :laugh:

I was just casually browsing through A Wiki of Ice and Fire, as you do, and came across the page of Elaena Targaryen, who I had never really paid any attention to before (although she is mentioned a couple of times in the main series) until I saw her picture and a description of her appearance: "Her hair was a platinum white with a bright golden streak down the middle"

thumb.php

Who else do we know with silver hair with a coloured streak like that? That's right, it's our boy Darkstar! :yo: Coincidence? I think not. There are several theories about Darkstar's true origin, could he be a descendant of Elaena? We know that she married into house Plumm and House Penrose, having children with both, and also had bastards with Alyn Velaryon. Maybe one of these descendants married into house Dayne. We actually know of two of her descendants; Brown Ben Plumm, and the turnkey claiming to be descended from a Targaryen princess, who Jaime almost mistook for Aegon the Conqueror.

Another interesting thing is her dragon egg seems to match the description of Viserion's egg, so her lost egg could be the same one which was given to Daenerys.

Darkstar, the true king of Westeros.

It's possible to argue that Elaena's descendants would be the true claimants to the iron throne, since she and her sisters (who bore no trueborn children) were all passed over for their uncle Viserys II in the succession. So all jokes aside, Darkstar could indeed be the true king of Westeros and become a dragon rider with Viserion as his mount, and that's why he's the most dangerous man in Dorne :yo:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is my prediction

the series and books end with the Knight King and his new wife (Cersai) on the Throne with Snow and all the others who are now white kneeling before him

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
i don't think there's been a hype-to-actual-impact ratio as out of whack as the Darkstar since Jonathan Toews on HF circa 2010.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Buuump

Anything happening with WoW? Any rumblings, rumours, anything?

there are some crazy theories out there including that a bogus episode has been filmed

the one thing that I think is correct is that they shot the last episodes out of context to throw people of the track. When I was in Belfast earlier in the year, I went to a fan get together and some of them are from the Watchers website and they felt that they in fact shot the last episode first before everyone was watching.

Due to other acting demands of the cast--it was during the first month of shooting that they were all together in Belfast--other then that they have been scattered

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Reading through A Storm of Swords again and I had forgotten just how insufferable show Shae is compared to book Shae.

Book Tyrion does actually want Sansa and book Shae is actually okay with the idea of him doing his duty and getting her with child. Show Tyrion doesn't want Sansa but show Shae gets all annoyed and uppity about it. Show Shae is constantly getting on Tyrion's ass and then in the end ultimately it's a lot less shocking when she testifies against him in the trial, whereas in the book it makes the betrayal so much more significant.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
New rule:

No one is allowed to post in this thread until TWoW is released.

Everytime I see this thread bumped I'm hoping to see

"The Winds of Winter release date scheduled!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad