Books: A Song of Ice and Fire *SPOILERS* Part XV

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I know some people seem to think Cersei has taken some of FAegon's plot. They he will be the one on the throne opposing Dany, etc.

I'm not sure. Would annoy me if he is the one to toss Cersei aside in the book

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
I know some people seem to think Cersei has taken some of FAegon's plot. They he will be the one on the throne opposing Dany, etc.

I don't see it, Cersei will destroy herself in the books that's the only reason she if being left alive at this point.

The endgame in the books will probably be so different that you cant really compare it at this point there are more players and alliances will probably be very different.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't see it, Cersei will destroy herself in the books that's the only reason she if being left alive at this point.

The endgame in the books will probably be so different that you cant really compare it at this point there are more players and alliances will probably be very different.

I'm betting a lot of the big events will be similar, but the details will be completely different due to all the extra characters and plot lines.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I doubt the Green Trial happens similarly in the books.

I think the only reason it happened in the show was because they wrote themselves into a corner with the High Sparrow and his deal with Margaery and Tommen and what their plan possibly could have been. They needed to get rid of both him and the Tyrells in order to move the Cersei plot along quickly into the next season ready for Dany's invasion because they accelerated her plot to untie the Meereneese knot while Cersei's plot still lagged behind. It would have taken another half-season or so to intelligently resolve the High Sparrow and Margaery scheming so the easiest thing to do was to just blow them up. (I'm glad they did this, it was a cool scene and the High Sparrow dialogue scenes with him sitting on his bench were incredibly boring so I'm glad we got less of that).

Obviously book Tommen is much younger so some of the show stuff won't happen. What I expect to happen is Cersei will succeed in ensuring Margaery is found guilty (much easier for her to accomplish this with Varys getting Kevan out of the way, and book Margaery probably actually is guilty) this will then alienate the Tyrells and they will leave KL, and eventually possibly defect to fAegon. I just re-read the Kevan POV chapter and his inner monologue continually contradicts everything Mace says, harking back to the Robert's Rebellion days. They will side with fAegon if it suits them, and if Margaery is found guilty it will definitely suit them.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Book Cersei's plan relies entirely upon either Margaery being found guilty through the testimony of her creatures or the only possible Kingsguard option able to represent her in a trial by combat being a presumably weakened by poison Boros Blount.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Why? Varys and Illyrio have been long playing Aegon since the beginning of the story. The end of ADWD featured Varys further sowing chaos against Cersei by taking out every remaining competent person in KL. That mixed with the Jon Connington backstory has created an alternate take on Rhaeger's legacy being fulfilled. Unlike the show, it would be refreshing if Cersei continues to pay for her short-sighted actions in the books.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Book Cersei's plan relies entirely upon either Margaery being found guilty through the testimony of her creatures or the only possible Kingsguard option able to represent her in a trial by combat being a presumably weakened by poison Boros Blount.

She could call for a trial of seven.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Why? Varys and Illyrio have been long playing Aegon since the beginning of the story. The end of ADWD featured Varys further sowing chaos against Cersei by taking out every remaining competent person in KL. That mixed with the Jon Connington backstory has created an alternate take on Rhaeger's legacy being fulfilled. Unlike the show, it would be refreshing if Cersei continues to pay for her short-sighted actions in the books.

Because dropping a hidden Targ like FAegon was a bunk move on GRRM's part.

It is just a poor way to have a Targ in Westros while Dany is stuck in Rssos

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA

Yeah, that's what makes it fun to root against Cersei in the books. She's being masterminded but she worms her away around enough to do evil things and grasp at power. Show Cersei deux ex'ing her way out of everything to guarantee she stays in power til the end is tiresome. Oh look, here come 20k more men (who used to be 10k but who's counting) to fight for her for some reason transported by her teleporting fleet she did nothing to earn.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Because dropping a hidden Targ like FAegon was a bunk move on GRRM's part.

It is just a poor way to have a Targ in Westros while Dany is stuck in Rssos

It plays into the whole history repeating itself theme with the Blackfyre's Rebellion. It also represents a way to place doubt on Daenerys' conquest. In the show they went with Euron and his magical fleet and the Lannister's never-ending supply of trained soldiers.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It plays into the whole history repeating itself theme with the Blackfyre's Rebellion. It also represents a way to place doubt on Daenerys' conquest. In the show they went with Euron and his magical fleet and the Lannister's never-ending supply of trained soldiers.

Just because George wrote it doesn't make it good. It is waste of time filler until Dany finally sails over.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Just because George wrote it doesn't make it good. It is waste of time filler until Dany finally sails over.

Filler? just like Rob Stark's story arc? Like I said before, the Aegon arc has been in play since the beginning when Varys and Illyrio were walking through the caverns in KL. Why does it matter that it took until ADWD to be revealed?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

I think the only reason it happened in the show was because they wrote themselves into a corner with the High Sparrow and his deal with Margaery and Tommen and what their plan possibly could have been. They needed to get rid of both him and the Tyrells in order to move the Cersei plot along quickly into the next season ready for Dany's invasion because they accelerated her plot to untie the Meereneese knot while Cersei's plot still lagged behind. It would have taken another half-season or so to intelligently resolve the High Sparrow and Margaery scheming so the easiest thing to do was to just blow them up. (I'm glad they did this, it was a cool scene and the High Sparrow dialogue scenes with him sitting on his bench were incredibly boring so I'm glad we got less of that).

Obviously book Tommen is much younger so some of the show stuff won't happen. What I expect to happen is Cersei will succeed in ensuring Margaery is found guilty (much easier for her to accomplish this with Varys getting Kevan out of the way, and book Margaery probably actually is guilty) this will then alienate the Tyrells and they will leave KL, and eventually possibly defect to fAegon. I just re-read the Kevan POV chapter and his inner monologue continually contradicts everything Mace says, harking back to the Robert's Rebellion days. They will side with fAegon if it suits them, and if Margaery is found guilty it will definitely suit them.

Mace isn't backing Faegon, do you not remember one of the GC Peake members saying they have friends in the reach and that highgarden isn't all that's cracked up to be...at the end of the day the Tyrells are an upjumped family led by an idiot lord and an old lady no matter how cunning.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Mace isn't backing Faegon, do you not remember one of the GC Peake members saying they have friends in the reach and that highgarden isn't all that's cracked up to be...at the end of the day the Tyrells are an upjumped family led by an idiot lord and an old lady no matter how cunning.

If anything I think the Tyrells will end up being involved in whatever Littlefinger is planning and it will end being screwed over by him.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

You're forgetting that the Tyrells are pulling a fast one over the crown by saying Loras is dead/dying, to which he is most assuredly not.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
What is the point of Stoneheart? Is she going to do all the Frey murders that Arya ended up doing?

It's quite possible there will be something similar, Devan Lannister is supposed to marry a Frey and it's possible it will be at Riverrun or the Twins.

I don't think LS is going to kill Jaime and instead is going to use him to get the brotherhood secretly in the wedding and get a similar revenge to the red wedding.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Anyone read The World of ice and Fire? I was looking into maybe picking it up.

It's ok if you like to read about the histories of the Seven (different) Kingdoms when they were still independent. There are also introductions to the Free Cities and other lands in Essos. There's also a bunch of stuff about the different Targaryen kings, biographies of them all etc.

The artwork is great too, though you can probably find most of the pictures online by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad