Books: A Song of Ice and Fire *SPOILERS* Part XV

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Yeah. I'm just about up to an alyssane visit to winterfell. Interesting so far. What are the rules on what we can discuss about it on here?
I wouldn't mind reading that, sounds interesting before the grande finale.

There's a spoiler tag in case you need it.
Winter is really coming.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is my theory of how the show ends

besides lots of deaths

Snow and Daenerys have a child--Kalisia dies in the child birth--as per the tradition of her and his family
We also learn that Tyrion is also a cousin (his mother died in birth as well)
Everyone favorite evil queen turn into a white walker and becomes the Kings wife
Everyone but Sansa's dies--she raised Snow and Daenerys child--they both died
in the final battle of white walkers and everyone Jamie kills his sister right before he gets killed
Jon Kills the king and this leads to the destruction of all the whitewalkers

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I've lost interest in the books. They are never coming out.

But make sure to pick up wild cards coming to a bookstore near you!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm bumping this, as the shows return is going to prompt discussion, and I believe there's still a desire to keep any book spoilers out of the show discussion.

However the show runners got to this point may differ from how George intends to (if he gets there), but I assume the respective endings of the show and the book will ve largely the same.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm bumping this, as the shows return is going to prompt discussion, and I believe there's still a desire to keep any book spoilers out of the show discussion.

However the show runners got to this point may differ from how George intends to (if he gets there), but I assume the respective endings of the show and the book will ve largely the same.

There's been lots of talk about the quality (or lack there of) of Littlefinger's demise in the show thread, I'm wondering how it will end up here since things are so vastly different staring with the baffling decision to marry Sansa to Ramsay (though I guess for the show that's a mechanism to have more characters in one place). The Littlefinger book plot seems to revolve around getting Sansa as his daughter engaged to 'Harry the Heir', as she's already been installed as his trusted caretaker murder young Sweetrobin making Harry nickname come true, then revealing Sansa as a Stark and inheritor of the North at their wedding.

My impression was that Littlefinger was going to slip up in getting Sansa complicit in the murder of Robin Aryn. Though I supposed that plot could play out as planned, Sansa marries Harry and they ride off to the North, and Littlefinger gets caught by Bran's ability. I really doubt he's going to be trying to get Sansa and Arya to murder each other though.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There's been lots of talk about the quality (or lack there of) of Littlefinger's demise in the show thread, I'm wondering how it will end up here since things are so vastly different staring with the baffling decision to marry Sansa to Ramsay (though I guess for the show that's a mechanism to have more characters in one place). The Littlefinger book plot seems to revolve around getting Sansa as his daughter engaged to 'Harry the Heir', as she's already been installed as his trusted caretaker murder young Sweetrobin making Harry nickname come true, then revealing Sansa as a Stark and inheritor of the North at their wedding.

My impression was that Littlefinger was going to slip up in getting Sansa complicit in the murder of Robin Aryn. Though I supposed that plot could play out as planned, Sansa marries Harry and they ride off to the North, and Littlefinger gets caught by Bran's ability. I really doubt he's going to be trying to get Sansa and Arya to murder each other though.

I'm rusty on my book knowledge, so not sire if this lines up, but if there's a battle of the bastards in the books, and Jon Snow's call for help to the Vale results in the forces arriving lead by Sansa after she takes out Littlefinger, that would be a lot cooler moment than what the show gave us.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I thought better ask this here since book talk is still practically forbidden in the other thread.

What do you people think about Arya's role in killing the NK? Is this George's plan too? I'm kind of baffled by this tbh. I expected Jon to face off with the NK one last time. All the talk about prophecies etc. Anyway, pretty big moment to happen.

Curious to know if the pacing/timing is going to be different too. I always assumed the battle against the Others would be the final battle, and the survivor would rebuild what's left of Westeros. The tv show made it quite neat in separating what happened in the North from what's going on in the South. We know it starts snowing in King's Landing by the end of book 5 so I would assume winter is going to play a much bigger role in the books also in the south.

Reactions: irunthepeg

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I think Arya killing the NK is a detail that Benioff and Weiss wouldn't make up. Arya has to kill someone important, and I think Cersei is going to die a the hand (pun not intended) of Jamie.

I also think the decision to kill the NK early is more of a GRRM thing. He's always been more concerned with the politics.

I think the final episodes are largely going to align to GRRMs plan. He gave them the outline, and the muddle portion they had to sacrifice, but they're probably eager to use any roadmap for the end that they can.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I think Arya killing the NK is a detail that Benioff and Weiss wouldn't make up. Arya has to kill someone important, and I think Cersei is going to die a the hand (pun not intended) of Jamie.

I also think the decision to kill the NK early is more of a GRRM thing. He's always been more concerned with the politics.

I think the final episodes are largely going to align to GRRMs plan. He gave them the outline, and the muddle portion they had to sacrifice, but they're probably eager to use any roadmap for the end that they can.

Why wouldn't they make it up? They've already made up a lot of it on their own. For one thing, the Night King doesn't even exist in the books, at least not as some ultimate leader of the Others, and the plot device of only having to kill a single entity in order to end the entire WW threat just seems like a simplified method to conclude that part of the story, which they've done numerous times on the show.

The show and the books are a separate story now. If Martin ever finishes the series we're going to be reading something incredibly different.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The show and the books are a separate story now. If Martin ever finishes the series we're going to be reading something incredibly different.

That's ok, it'll give some enterprising individuals the opportunity to film it all over again with the "real" Game of Thrones.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
There writers have been taking shortcuts to get characters to point a to b, and they've eliminated characters that didn't service the story they're were trying to tell, but personally, I've never had the impression that these guys wanted to tell a story other than the one they've signed on for. If they did, they probably wouldn't have pushed to get the book details from George.

They will be separate entities, but, the writers, in my view, are trying to tell the story as closely as they believe George is trying to tell while reckoning with the shortcuts they've taken, and adapting for the different medium. I don't think killing the supernatural villain early is the choice they make.

I'm skeptical we'll ever see the book version, but I do expect that if Weiss and Benioff do anything major off the plan that isn't well received, that GRRM will probably let people know.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
That's ok, it'll give some enterprising individuals the opportunity to film it all over again with the "real" Game of Thrones.
game-of-bones-wait-what_o_2709165.jpg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There writers have been taking shortcuts to get characters to point a to b, and they've eliminated characters that didn't service the story they're were trying to tell, but personally, I've never had the impression that these guys wanted to tell a story other than the one they've signed on for. If they did, they probably wouldn't have pushed to get the book details from George.

They will be separate entities, but, the writers, in my view, are trying to tell the story as closely as they believe George is trying to tell while reckoning with the shortcuts they've taken, and adapting for the different medium. I don't think killing the supernatural villain early is the choice they make.

I'm skeptical we'll ever see the book version, but I do expect that if Weiss and Benioff do anything major off the plan that isn't well received, that GRRM will probably let people know.

I recently read this quote which I found odd:

"Jon Snow has always been the hero, the one who's been the savior. But it just didn't seem right to us for this moment," co-creator David Benioff revealed in the video. "It's probably three years now or something, we've known that it was going to be Arya who delivers that fatal blow."

It didn't seem right to us?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

Well, duh. That isn't evidence of anything. They needed something to work with. They're still telling the story the way they want to.

Even if the war against the Others isn't the endgame of the story, which the novels don't indicate at all, the idea that it will be solved with a single character snuffing out the entire threat on their own is a bogus development. Anyone familiar with the novels should be able to see how much creative liberties the show has taken, it's much more than just adapting the work for a different medium.

Martin has already voiced irritation with some of their decisions. He's expressed annoyance with how often they kill off characters, that are in his own words "still very alive to me".

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Well, I don't have a lot of sympathy for GRRM.

Cool?

I was responding to the notion that he would have said something if he was unhappy. Which is not only untrue, but in any case he has aired some grievances.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I kind of wonder if the Night's King is going to be as central in the books as it was in the show. IIRC the NK was more like a mythical creature of the past than a "real" threat in the books. So far it has been the Others as a group rather than NK the individual that has made an appearance. I remember being somewhat surprised when the focus turned to the NK in the show rather than whatever random Walker they decided to use. Of course, it was one of the first moments where the show went beyond what the books had told us. It would also make sense that there are going to be a number of Walkers fighting in the books whereas in the show they just hang around behind the NK's back.

Meh...just finding it hard to believe Arya is going to be so important in this particular battle. I could easily see him defeat a Walker, but the buildup they did with the Other threat was foreshadowing so much towards Jon, and the Night's King was the embodiment of that threat. Then again, there has been buildup for this since Mel first met Arya in season 3 (?) so this has been brewing for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad