A pro Tank thread for the future of New York Rangers

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
rebuild over ?

so, trade hayes and receive back 1st rounders and panarin - rebuild over.

ok. got it

By rebuild over I mean we will be back in the playoff hunt as early as next season.

Center - Zib, Chytil, Howden, Andersson, Boo,
Right Wing - Buch, Kravtsov, Fast
Left Wing - Panarin, Kreider, Vesey
Defense - Skjei, Shatty, ADA, Pionk, Smith, Staal, Miller, Keane, Lundkvist, Hajek, Lindgren
Goal - Hank, Shesty, Georgiev

Add a top 5 Pick from 2019, a teen pick in 19 and a late 20's pick in 19 and I would Def. say that is more than enough in the cupboard to get back into the playoffs regularly. Add UFA's for depth if needed. Yea, rebuild over.

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If it were me, I kind of think the rebuild will turn more towards let's seriously compete once all of Staal, Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, Smith are either traded or their contracts just end.

Between now and then,

I sort of expect them to just continue to sell off the pending UFA players they are not going to extend and really Kreider may be the only one I see them doing so with, perhaps Fast, Name, Vesey depending on what they are looking for in their next contracts weighed against what they could be traded for.

I think they'll look for some hockey trades too if they can find some higher level players that become available for whatever reason. Probably also have their eye on some already drafted prospects or younger players they like.

Panarin, (any significant UFA signing really), I think they will certainly show interest, yet I also think that will come down to his contract demands and have to be weighed against what other offers he gets from other teams and is willing to accept. I don't think they will just blank check him, yet if he really wants to play for the Rangers they can probably work something out where the Rangers still have some flexibility within that contract.

However if the Rangers truly have to compete with every other offer he gets I would think they have to draw the line somewhere as it's kind of questionable where he fits into that timeline as he'd be about 2 years into his new deal right as all of Chytil, Lias, Howden (Hajek, Lindgren) are needing 2nd contracts, and he'd be about 3 years in when all of whoever makes it from the 2018 draft needs new contracts, and so on and so forth. (if that is their timeline)

Overall I am hoping they are attaching their timeline to the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and maybe even the 2020 drafted players (even those they traded for) more so than they are worrying about making the playoffs with Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk. If by the time all those draftees/prospects make it, should most of them make it, if Zbad and whoever, say Kreider are still going strong and need new deals make the choice then to retain them as the vets.

As I type all that it really puts the onus on them drafting, devloping, trading for, signing some legit game breakers, all coinciding together within a timeline where most are in their primes all at the same time. That is going to just have to come down to faith that management is really on point, and hopefully some draft lottery luck I guess.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
By rebuild over I mean we will be back in the playoff hunt as early as next season.

Center - Zib, Chytil, Howden, Andersson, Boo,
Right Wing - Buch, Kravtsov, Fast
Left Wing - Panarin, Kreider, Vesey
Defense - Skjei, Shatty, ADA, Pionk, Smith, Staal, Miller, Keane, Lundkvist, Hajek, Lindgren
Goal - Hank, Shesty, Georgiev

Add a top 5 Pick from 2019, a teen pick in 19 and a late 20's pick in 19 and I would Def. say that is more than enough in the cupboard to get back into the playoffs regularly. Add UFA's for depth if needed. Yea, rebuild over.

We could probably just throw a bit of money and be back in the playoffs regularly this year if that works for you?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
If it were me, I kind of think the rebuild will turn more towards let's seriously compete once all of Staal, Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, Smith are either traded or their contracts just end.

Between now and then,

I sort of expect them to just continue to sell off the pending UFA players they are not going to extend and really Kreider may be the only one I see them doing so with, perhaps Fast, Name, Vesey depending on what they are looking for in their next contracts weighed against what they could be traded for.

I think they'll look for some hockey trades too if they can find some higher level players that become available for whatever reason. Probably also have their eye on some already drafted prospects or younger players they like.

Panarin, (any significant UFA signing really), I think they will certainly show interest, yet I also think that will come down to his contract demands and have to be weighed against what other offers he gets from other teams and is willing to accept. I don't think they will just blank check him, yet if he really wants to play for the Rangers they can probably work something out where the Rangers still have some flexibility within that contract.

However if the Rangers truly have to compete with every other offer he gets I would think they have to draw the line somewhere as it's kind of questionable where he fits into that timeline as he'd be about 2 years into his new deal right as all of Chytil, Lias, Howden (Hajek, Lindgren) are needing 2nd contracts, and he'd be about 3 years in when all of whoever makes it from the 2018 draft needs new contracts, and so on and so forth. (if that is their timeline)

Overall I am hoping they are attaching their timeline to the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and maybe even the 2020 drafted players (even those they traded for) more so than they are worrying about making the playoffs with Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk. If by the time all those draftees/prospects make it, should most of them make it, if Brassard and whoever, say Kreider are still going strong and need new deals make the choice then to retain them as the vets.

As I type all that it really puts the onus on them drafting, devloping, trading for, signing some legit game breakers, all coinciding together within a timeline where most are in their primes all at the same time. That is going to just have to come down to faith that management is really on point, and hopefully some draft lottery luck I guess.

The whole Panarin thing really interests me - I mean, as far as I can recall, yes we pay a lot for these UFAs over the years, but I swear most of our UFAs always leave money on the table (Richards, Gaborik, Shatty, etc). When they want to play here, they’ll work with the team. If Panarin wants to play hardball with us let him go sign somewhere else .

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Between now and then,

Overall I am hoping they are attaching their timeline to the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and maybe even the 2020 drafted players (even those they traded for) more so than they are worrying about making the playoffs with Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk. If by the time all those draftees/prospects make it, should most of them make it, if Brassard and whoever, say Kreider are still going strong and need new deals make the choice then to retain them as the vets.

Given context, signing Panarin would be one of the worst things the Rangers could do in the last 30 years, and that’s quite impressive.

I, however, think that since he has about a year and a half of elite offensive ability left and he “wouldn’t cost any assets” that not only would a majority of the board be in favor of the signing, but also RangersTown™️ might just do it.

Reactions: leetch99

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am not in favor of them signing Panarin, or really any expensive UFA off the open market as it's almost never a smart play, however if he really wants to sign with them, and is willing to give concessions to the point his contract is not going to effect what else is going on with the youth, mostly re-signing them should the right play there to be go long term with relatively expensive deals right off their entry levels, then it's a little different.

For me it would be very contract dependent, front loading, limited clauses, less term, would all have to be concessions. I very much question whether he'd make all those concessions, and if not so be it in my opinion, but I'm not sure how that is going to be all that much different than Kreiders next contract should they look to extend him.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Brooks latest article stats that the Rangers could be in trouble of losing a young player with the expansion draft of Seattle in a year....

What do you guys think???

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think there is conflicting information as Brooks states that Zbad does not have a NMC yet Capfriendly list him with one

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Brooks latest article stats that the Rangers could be in trouble of losing a young player with the expansion draft of Seattle in a year....

Was it 7 F, 3 D, 1 G? I'm not seeing it, Brooksie.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I'd like to see the ADA-McQuaid pairing Brooks mentioned. DeAngelo has to stay in the lineup and I'd like McQuaid to play consistently up until he's dealt.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

2 years, the draft isn't until 2021.
Maybe Buch, but it is so far away and there'll be so much roster movement that speculation just seems really premature

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'd like to see the ADA-McQuaid pairing Brooks mentioned. DeAngelo has to stay in the lineup and I'd like McQuaid to play consistently up until he's dealt.

i noticed ADA on the left side alot in the O zone last game and that just makes him more versatile and valuable. its funny because more skilled players love to play on the off side. more offense better angles. he said that too. and hes got the talent to pull it off.

and the kid always brings some fire and snarl. doesnt back down. gotta love that.

this kid is slowly becoming an integral part of this teams future. good for him.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
afaict signing Panarin in the offseason caps us out next year and boxes us into bridging ADA/Pionk/Buchnevich. The year after that frees up another 20M but that 20M freed comes at the cost of FIVE of our top 9 forwards. It's literally just Mika and the three rookies (and Buch) at that point up front, lol. Waiting till 21-22 is the prudent move.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The more I think about it the more I want them to just drop, and drop hard.

I know there's "NO GUARANTEE!!!"

I don't care. This is the one year where it's A possible for them to drop (Hank aside), B is a great draft to do it, and C is certainly worth it for what that position would provide as opposed to where they're all but heading anyway... another middling pick.

I'm not going to root against them, I can't but they need to just stink this year and hope for the best moving forward

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Blues got their 10th ROW last night. They beat Winnipeg 1-0. The Jets first game home after a successful 3 game road trip of the New York area teams. The Jets had a million power plays and didn’t get a shot on a few of them.

The Rangers, Kings and Hawks have single digit ROW’s.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
One more shootout road win for the books. All four road wins are in the shootout. You knew the Rangers were winning this game. They always play in Sunrise. They look lost in Montreal and Ottawa but they look comfortable against the Panthers in Sunrise. Luongo can't move side to side and he gets beat up high. The guy will be 40 later this season and he looks all of his 40 years in net.

What is the latest a team has recorded their first road win in regulation?

Still sitting with 9 ROW.

Chicago is home for the Habs tonight. They might get their 10th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad