A pro Tank thread for the future of New York Rangers

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well we talk about the future draft in all other topics like in Post-Game Talk after a loss vs Caps last evening - it`s better for the HF Rangers forum in my opinion to to use this topic for pro. tanking kind of related comments that involve strategy and drafting future talents next summer in 2019 and beyond.

It`s no secret that Jeff Gorton`s official letter is about rebuilding so what will happen next TDL in March 2019?
Well we have UFA status players next summer so we will see some activity for sure, but why stop there?
And this topic should be all about drafting and strategies related to the future of New York Rangers.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
The main goal is to have many potential elite players in our system - so at first we need more first round picks. IMO we need true franchise and we need some shooters, of course. BUT we need some veterans with blue heart in our roster. And this is the problem.. who should stay and who should go.
We have a lot of good centers and we must give space to our young guns. Chytil, Howden and Andersson can be our 2-4 centers next season (or wings). Ziba can be 1C as well as Hayes. The Hayes value is pretty high but Ziba is more valuable for me. Similar situation is on wings. Kreider can be beast with an elite center. Zucc, Buch, Vesey or Fast.. and we have Vitali Kravtsov in Russia. So next TDL we should trade Hayes/Ziba and at least one wing... and one or two of our defenders.

Reactions: NikC and Ori

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I wouldn't say I'm pro-tank, but missing the playoffs + picking in the 10-14 range is no way to rebuild... so I guess I either hope that they continue to get wins and make it to the playoffs or fall away naturally as the season progresses and stronger teams pick up their game a bit.

Either way, I hope that the Rangers are sellers at the trade deadline. Zucc, Hayes, Vesey, Namestnikov, Strome, Smith, Claesson, Shattenkirk should all be moved.

Another year of 3 1st round picks would be great.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I’m anti-tank!!!
I’d still consider moving Zucc, was open to moving Hayes but he’s looking very good this year. It depends on if Chytil is going to be a center, if he is we might as well sell high on Hayes
Then sign Panarin this offseason and I think we’re competitive

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I wouldn't say I'm pro-tank, but missing the playoffs + picking in the 10-14 range is no way to rebuild... so I guess I either hope that they continue to get wins and make it to the playoffs or fall away naturally as the season progresses and stronger teams pick up their game a bit.

Either way, I hope that the Rangers are sellers at the trade deadline. Zucc, Hayes, Vesey, Namestnikov, Strome, Smith, Claesson, Shattenkirk should all be moved.

Another year of 3 1st round picks would be great.

Where I'm at too, although maybe not quite as wholesale at the deadline.

This is the easiest time I've had remaining positive about the team in a long time. Our young guys are performing well, Quinn seems to be a fit to help mold them, and Gorton seems determined to go about it the right way.

Let the results fall as they may this year; we're on the right track.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I know what @Ori is trying to do here, but I believe this is a misinterpretation of what's taking place. This process is not about deliberately losing to get a better pick. The purpose of the letter was to let the fans know that the Rangers are fully embarking on rebuilding this team, as opposed to staying the course and "rebuilding on the fly'. That means using as many tradable assets to bring in as much young talent as possible, and also stripping away the old leadership core and allowing a new one to emerge. I don't root for the Rangers to lose. I am, however, realistic in my expectations for this team. I have maintained throughout this process is that this is not a very good team, as it lacks overall talent and depth. I don't root for it to lose. I root for the young players to establish themselves, the players I expect to traded increase their trade value, and players such as Kreider and Zibanejad that expect to be apart of the final product to reach their full potential and establish themselves as leaders. And, I also realize that this process will not be quick and smooth.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't think Hayes and Zucc have the same value. I think teams that acquire them have way different intents. Hayes IMO is still worth a 1st. Zucc has to be healthy or he's not going to be close to that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hayes is easily worth a 1st+. Top Center on the market (right?), hes young and having a great season.

Zucc may or may not return a 1st, but his greatest value to the Rangers is not being here for x amount of years after this on a horrible contract

Reactions: Ori

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Hayes is easily worth a 1st+. Top Center on the market (right?), hes young and having a great season.

Zucc may or may not return a 1st, but his greatest value to the Rangers is not being here for x amount of years after this on a horrible contract
Only if Duchene re-signs with Ottawa.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I admit I`m a pro tank right now and I like a low 1st pick as possible in the next couple of years to build on a new future core and hopefully add a franchise type of player - an elite skilled forward, and build it in the draft. But the main reason behind this topic is to stay on topic, @jas when we are debating post games topics or GDT, because recently it has almost been unreadable.

It`s nothing wrong to discuss Chytil, Lias, Howden or others in game to game evaluation and team performance in PGT though.
We`ve the same on the Canucks HF forum, and there are some Rangers fans and Canuck fans who really enjoy winning games in GDT kind of topics, and it`s to not spoil their fun of watching a game of hockey with your favorite team and hope Rangers win. Because many live in the moment and don`t worry about the future or drafts in the summer 2019.
So as I mentioned earlier it`s a suggestion to limit the amount of tank related comments in other topics - it will be much more enjoyable to both read and participate and talk about Rangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodlyRangers

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I’m anti-tank!!!
I’d still consider moving Zucc, was open to moving Hayes but he’s looking very good this year. It depends on if Chytil is going to be a center, if he is we might as well sell high on Hayes
Then sign Panarin this offseason and I think we’re competitive

What about the rest of the roster?

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Believe it or not I think our best bet to land elite talent is to trade Zibanejad to the Avs. I don’t trust his “soft head”. He seems like he’s one hit away from being done. No joke. Since Sauer I’m very leary of this type of stuff

Trade him now while he’s healthy, signed and still producing

Mika to Avs for Ottawa 1st this year and a top D prospect

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Believe it or not I think our best bet to land elite talent is to trade Zibanejad to the Avs. I don’t trust his “soft head”. He seems like he’s one hit away from being done. No joke. Since Sauer I’m very leary of this type of stuff

We need elite talent who won’t miss a shot

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Trade him now while ealthy, signed and still producing

Mika to Avs for Ottawa 1st this year and a top D prospeche’s ht

I'd do that in a heartbeat but I'm not sure COL does.

Reactions: haveandare

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Yeah, I can just sense your concern.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They're already in much better shape than the teams around the league who have been unable to rebuild. They have a nice mix of veterans, young core players, and promising rookies. They have a great coaching staff. The front office is all on the same page. The pipeline is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was just 18 months ago. This is how you rebuild effectively. They just need to get lucky and land an impact player or two in the draft, or build the pool up to the point where they can package assets to acquire that impact player.

Reactions: Mac n Gs and jas

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Summary:
  • Keep: 20, 93, 72, 89, 76, 77, 44, 21
  • Maybe keep: 13, 17, 26, 8, 33, 42
  • Don’t keep: 36, 18, 90, 16, 33, 54

Factors taken into consideration:
  • Production
  • Market value
  • Leadership
Remarks:
  • 13 has been productive; could be crucial
  • 18 is likely a buyout (and too expensive)
  • 36 has peaked and doesn’t fit new style
  • 33 is a 7th defenseman; replace with youth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad