A pro Tank thread for the future of New York Rangers

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
You know what, **** that.

Tom Wilson's name is on the Stanley Cup, so I'll show you exactly where it's not listed.

It's been terrible having him on my fantasy team.

Despise the f*** so much, but I'm in a bangers league and somebody just dropped him after he was suspended. 15 games into his suspension, still nobody picked him up... so I had to grab him. He's an elite player in banger leagues... but it still hurts rooting for him, man.

Reactions: Machinehead

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Despise the **** so much, but I'm in a bangers league and somebody just dropped him after he was suspended. 15 games into his suspension, still nobody picked him up... so I had to grab him. He's an elite player in banger leagues... but it still hurts rooting for him, man.
Do dirty hits give you extra points?
If so you are set

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Despise the **** so much, but I'm in a bangers league and somebody just dropped him after he was suspended. 15 games into his suspension, still nobody picked him up... so I had to grab him. He's an elite player in banger leagues... but it still hurts rooting for him, man.
The way he's going, he's an elite player in this league, but he's a garbage human being.

I understand the game is physical, and I understand physical players step over the line to be effective. I've never been critical of Marchand, Avery, Malkin (low-key dirty), Weber, Lucic, Perry, Neal, or any of the other dreck I've watched and enjoyed over the years. So don't give me this bullshit about "you're just a millennial who hates physicality" (Obviously not you, Matt, but you know who you are out there).

That said, when it happens this often, you're crossing the line between being a physical hockey player, and human being who tries to hurt other human beings.

Reactions: Ori and Matt4776

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Getting Hughes or even Kakko is a pipedream but a top 6/7 pick would work well for this team and be quite realistic.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They weren't playing all that well before all the injuries hit.

I know you like to ignore this, but its the truth.

I don't think it was as bad as you say, just because you say so doesn't make it true. They were competitive and winning. The last few games they have played poorly though. This roster just isn't able to sustain this amount of injuries to proven NHL talent. Thats why we have guys like Fogarty, Gettinger, etc playing NHL minutes and it's not working.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
They were doing well during that winning streak because they were playing very hard with maximum effort. Now with Zuke, Pavel and Names out plus a drop in effort and we have this.... a bottom dwelling team. The bottom 4 league wide currently are NJ,LA,Chicago and St Louis( all have 2 games in hand and if wins catapult above the Rangers)..I've got to believe they will improve and to me its a race to the bottom between us, Red wings and Canucks. I think Flyers,Oilers,Panthers,Coyotes will be more competitive than us. So the tank is still on. I would like to see some moves sooner rather than later. Its gonna be up to Gorts to balance the offers and deciding the optimal moment to pull the trigger on there assets. I think a team like the Canadians could use Hayes and Smith. There team has the right balance between veterans and quality youth. They are like the Yankees in that they are in a win now mode most years and the cost of loading up should not hurt there long term goals.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There's nothing noble about being a mediocre team and there's nothing shameful about rebuilding. Despite the title the Rangers aren't tanking. Tanking would be dealing every vet, benching Hank, and icing an AHL roster.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
They weren't playing all that well before all the injuries hit.

I know you like to ignore this, but its the truth.

The 9-1-1 stretch was primarily done at home. Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t all of their wins on the road been from the shootout? That’s not the formula for being a quality team.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
There's nothing noble about being a mediocre team and there's nothing shameful about rebuilding. Despite the title the Rangers aren't tanking. Tanking would be dealing every vet, benching Hank, and icing an AHL roster.

Also, I was under the impression that many fans of other teams, at least among the old guard, didn’t think of “the Rags”as noble at all.

In fact, the incessant push to pay for mercenaries was seen as sort of shameful and embarassing.

I mean even when the cap was initiated in the new era®️, the Rangers still found ways to throw a lot if money at useless shit.

Could you imagine if there weren’t a cap?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Also, I was under the impression that many fans of other teams, at least among the old guard, didn’t think of “the Rags”as noble at all.

In fact, the incessant push to pay for mercenaries was seen as sort of shameful and embarassing.

I mean even when the cap was initiated in the new era®️, the Rangers still found ways to throw a lot if money at useless ****.

Could you imagine if there weren’t a cap?

Every team throws money at bad players in the cap era. Rangers "stereotypes" are all old. They've had pretty young teams since the lockout and been a very good franchise. The Jagr teams had tons of home grown players and the Torts/AV squad were all based off that core that started in 2010-11. (Even before).

There's nothing wrong with spending money when you have a cap bottom and cap limit.

And rebuilding doesn't mean throwing a bunch of 18 year olds on the ice when they're not ready. This isn't 1975 or 1985. Those type of rebuilds never work.

Tanking or throwing games away; that's what the Islanders did at the end of the 2016 season and the Rangers didn't. And it got the Islanders the better matchup.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Every team throws money at bad players in the cap era. Rangers "stereotypes" are all old. They've had pretty young teams since the lockout and been a very good franchise. The Jagr teams had tons of home grown players and the Torts/AV squad were all based off that core that started in 2010-11. (Even before).

There's nothing wrong with spending money when you have a cap bottom and cap limit.

And rebuilding doesn't mean throwing a bunch of 18 year olds on the ice when they're not ready. This isn't 1975 or 1985. Those type of rebuilds never work.

Tanking or throwing games away; that's what the Islanders did at the end of the 2016 season and the Rangers didn't. And it got the Islanders the better matchup.

I’m saying to the “tanking is whack jack” bruthas and sistas, that the Rangers old method was at least equally “cheap” and most certainly exponentially less effective.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The 9-1-1 stretch was primarily done at home. Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t all of their wins on the road been from the shootout? That’s not the formula for being a quality team.

Yes they have 3 road wins which all came in the SO (SJ, Anaheim, CBJ.)

Even during the stretch of 9-1-1, there were games they won at home that they should have lost (Buffalo, Vancouver.) They also looked as bad as they have lately against Detroit and CBJ and managed to get 3 out of 4.

6-5 (which they should have went) looks a lot different than 9-1-1.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Clutch game for #teamtank tonight as LA defeated Carolina. We've played more games than almost everyone behind us (besides Vancouver and Chicago). Over this upcoming week where we don't play any games until Saturday, there will be teams that more than likely pass us in the standings

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’m saying to the “tanking is whack jack” bruthas and sistas, that the Rangers old method was at least equally “cheap” and most certainly exponentially less effective.
I think the “anti tank” faction is largely a fiction.
There are definitely people “pro tank” in the abstract.
And people like me, who are fine with a tank but don’t see it really possible.
I mean, there’s just no reasonable way to ensure a tank. If it happens, great. But how do the Rangers accomplish it?
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say they’re for eeking out a playoff spot in perpetuity. Maybe I’m wrong.
But, without explicit platforms, I think this Pro Tank vs Anti Tank argument is mostly semantics.

Reactions: NCRanger and bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->