OT: 83rd Obsequious Banter Thread: Balls to the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Can I get a simple old fashioned recipe? I might try one this weekend.

Of course! Hope you enjoy it, my friend.

1 bar spoon heavy syrup (2 sugar: 1 water)
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 oz rye or bourbon
Slice of lemon peel
Ice

Put everything except the lemon in a double rocks glass and stir. Express the lemon peel into the liquid, drop it in, and go.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

2 oz rye or bourbon
Slice of lemon peel
Ice

Put everything except the lemon in a double rocks glass and stir. Express the lemon peel into the liquid, drop it in, and go.

Seems like a long recipe.

Pour bourbon in glass.
Drink bourbon.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

2 oz rye or bourbon
Slice of lemon peel
Ice

@Lord Defect when you make this for yourself, add two shots of bleach and a slug of arsenic.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Listen, you. Me and the Tonewood Poolside that's currently improving my day don't need your sass.

Oooh, thats a goodie. I had a friend of mine visit from VT last night, so while ive nothing in hand currently, the fridge is currently stocked with Fresh VT goodness.

But, it IS almost 6 pm now, sooo

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oooh, thats a goodie. I had a friend of mine visit from VT last night, so while ive nothing in hand currently, the fridge is currently stocked with Fresh VT goodness.

But, it IS almost 6 pm now, sooo

I actually meant to ask you if there were any summery beers from the locals you think are particularly good. Apparently during my teetotaling year, I gained more of an appreciation.

Basically anything but IPAs and Quads I can dig. There are exceptions, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I actually meant to ask you if there were any summery beers from the locals you think are particularly good. Apparently during my teetotaling year, I gained more of an appreciation.

Basically anything but IPAs and Quads I can dig. There are exceptions, but I wouldn’t count on it.

This is a rabbit-hole i'm happy to be sent down. When you say local, do you mean SJ in general, or local to your particular area? I can do either, or both, technically.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This is a rabbit-hole i'm happy to be sent down. When you say local, do you mean SJ in general, or local to your particular area? I can do either, or both, technically.

Anything I can snag anywhere in South Jersey (shore or burbs) or the city, please. I'm happy to do liquor stores or breweries, whatever the good stuff requires.. Thank you, as always.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

2 oz rye or bourbon
Slice of lemon peel
Ice

What’s double rocks glass? What does expressing the lemon peel mean? I should probably watch a YouTube video

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What’s double rocks glass? What does expressing the lemon peel mean? I should probably watch a YouTube video

Any rocks glass big enough is fine. If you don’t have one, that’s fine too. Use whatever you have. They generally look like this:

2801983_01i_0716_s.jpg

Expressing just means twisting the oils in and then rubbing it around the lip of the glass: How to Express a Citrus Peel

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Anything I can snag anywhere in South Jersey (shore or burbs) or the city, please. I'm happy to do liquor stores or breweries, whatever the good stuff requires.. Thank you, as always.

In no particular order
Tonewood:
Woodland lager has become a staple in my fridge. They have a smoked version, but im not a huge fan.
Poolside - sounds like you already know
LawnBoi - a really crisp and clean pilsner. Great summer drinker.

Cape May
Cin Cin - italian pilsner that I haven't had yet but I've heard good things.
Boat Ramp Champ - helles lager that drinks really well, especially in summer
Tan Limes - really good Mexican style with salt and lime. I take this one to the beach often.

Ludlum Islands Kolsch is apparently good, but im not a huge fan of the style itself and their IPAs are much better so I've never had it.

Bonesaw Shore Town is probably one of the best lagers out right now, imo. Their Demon Blanc is a weird Belgian wheat that works really well.

Forgotten boardwalk just put out a helles called A Bright Idea that my brother says is pretty damn good. Frequency modulation is a dry hopped hefeweizen, but they dry hop with very subtle flavored hops - Idaho and Eukanot if I'm not mistaken - which add a fun touch to an already good style.

Eight and Sand has Nelson Saison right now which is a really good beer. Nelson hops give a tropical feel to a farmhouse beer. Buzzkeeper is a honey-saison so it's a little sweeter but also a good base farmhouse ale to build off of. If you go to the brewery to get them, you get the added bonus of getting Bad Hombre, which is a simply phenomenal milk stout that is low-ish ABV and would go well with a firepit and smores kinda night.

Then you have your staples, like Carton Boat, Kane Sideshore, etc.

I can literally do this all day, so im going to stop here. Happy to provide any other specific recommendations if you'd like though, be it a brewery or style.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Choccy milk recipe next?

We have to help these people, @Young Sandwich @mja. Nobody’s coming back to your place for chocolate milk.

Try some drinking chocolate I cribbed from Tom Colicchio and/or one of his partners back in the day:

Serves 1
  • Chop (finely) up 1.5 oz 60-72% cacao chocolate. I use the Trader Joe’s stuff. Quality is good and it costs way less than super fancy chocolate. Do not use Hershey’s or something. I beg of you.
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 Tbsp Heavy Cream
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • Sea Salt if you want it.
Crumble the bay leaf into the milk and bring to simmer. Steep for ~5 mins.

Put the chocolate in the mug/cup of your choice. Heat the heavy cream. The second bubbles start forming around the outside (bare boil), dump it over the chocolate. Wait ~2 Mins, then stir. Strain the milk into this and then stir thoroughly.

Add a pinch of sea salt at the end if you want. Or don’t.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We have to help these people, @Young Sandwich @mja. Nobody’s coming back to your place for chocolate milk.

Try some drinking chocolate I cribbed from Tom Colicchio and/or one of his partners back in the day:

Serves 1
  • Chop (finely) up 1.5 oz 60-72% cacao chocolate. I use the Trader Joe’s stuff. Quality is good and it costs way less than super fancy chocolate. Do not use Hershey’s or something. I beg of you.
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 Tbsp Heavy Cream
  • 1 Cup Milk

Put the chocolate in the mug/cup of your choice. Heat the heavy cream. The second bubbles start forming around the outside (bare boil), dump it over the chocolate. Wait ~2 Mins, then stir. Strain the milk into this and then stir thoroughly.

oh my god

@Chinatown88 you seeing this?

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

Serves 1
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 Tbsp Heavy Cream
  • 1 Cup Milk

monophy.gif

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

Serves 1
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 5 Tbsp Heavy Cream
  • 1 Cup Milk

A bay leaf??

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I am not a drinker at all, obviously...lol.

I thought the whisky/whiskey was just a spelling difference by region like color/colour, neighbor/neighbour....lol.

I am learning more and more today.
Somebody posted this on a local subreddit the other day

You should make it and get back to us

4OLA3uX4WmgVwzieBnJX1oOLkIg2HESbnCB1izJOdrM.jpg

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad