OT: 83rd Obsequious Banter Thread: Balls to the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Hm. Suntory is only $30 over in Cherry Hill. Might have to try it.

EDIT: Ooooh. They have different ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
@Rebels57 bullit, knob creek, leadslinger, dads hat, basil Hayden are all good, but closer to $30-$50 range and my taste. If I go higher, I’ll get Johnny walker blue but that’s above your range ($200) but very good. Johnny walker is also blended and generally considered lower end, aka not gift worthy.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
How far out is your second dose out there in Czech land?

Scheduled for 29th of July. It was a bit faster for the 50+/60+ age groups, but me as a 30+ has to wait for all of them to get it done.. sooo its a bit slower. (still better than UK from what I have heard)

Also, how’s your cell phone service?

I have heard that all the pedestrian traffic lights will turn green for me immediately. I tested out some just 20 minutes after the vaccination aaaand.. nothing. Still red. Disappointing

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
You may remember me posting an article about F1 Red Bull car shooting some kind of ad on the Charles bridge... well lo and behold, there is quite pretty result, see below

Reactions: Cody Webster

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Rebels57 Do you still need bourbon recs or are you covered? My apologies for taking so long.

I see you mentioned Old Fashioneds. I'm a fan too, but I'm going to be brutally honest and say worrying too much about the liquor you put in is a waste of time. The sugar and bitters carry it and really even hide most of the differences in high-end options. Even at the height of my liquor stock, I made them with Wild Turkey 101, Old Overholt, or base Sazerac. I'd spend more on more obscure bitters than the bottle in many cases.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Rebels57 Do you still need bourbon recs or are you covered? My apologies for taking so long.

I see you mentioned Old Fashioneds. I'm a fan too, but I'm going to be brutally honest and say worrying too much about the liquor you put in is a waste of time. The sugar and bitters carry it and really even hide most of the differences in high-end options. Even at the height of my liquor stock, I made them with Wild Turkey 101, Old Overholt, or base Sazerac.

Still taking recs! Since its a gift I want to make sure its a good quality regardless of how he intends to use it. I do think he is a sipper too.

kudymen

Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Must be nice.

Here in Canada...got my 1st one May 20th...2nd shot scheduled for Sept 5th

I am afraid it is a by-product of how we totally blew the Oct-April situation, not only in terms of new cases (see below the insane numbers), but also orders of the vaccine... and lots of countries have sent us some of the vaccines they had excess... Hopefully we will pay that back somehow because last spring, we selfishly said "we wont help anyone, we need to help our people (who were not in danger back then)". Oooof...

upload_2021-6-17_21-45-6.png

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Still taking recs! Since its a gift I want to make sure its a good quality regardless of how he intends to use it. I do think he is a sipper too.

Bourbon is very tough to find the good stuff at MSRP these days, so apologies for the information overload.

Since it's a gift I'll get slightly more snobby than I usually do. Mid-range bottles you might know from more mainstream sources like Basil Hayden's cost way more than the value they provide. That's spending money to spend it, not get a higher-quality bourbon. I used to suggest Weller, Blanton's, or Elmer T. Lee, but you're very unlikely to be able to find a bottle at MSRP. If you somehow get lucky, they're quite good. If it's Blanton's, tell him it's very cinnamon hot unless you add a cube. It really needs it.

Everything from Buffalo Trace Distillery above "Buffalo Trace" would go over extremely well. Although I would call Eagle Rare more suited for Old Fashioneds than sipping and would probably shoot higher if you really like this person. High West Distillery also puts out very good products. HW's limited products in particular are something you have a reasonable shot at getting at MSRP and in the ~80 range. Examples include Rendezvous Rye (if he likes rye), Bourye, and A Midwinter Night's Dram. Whistlepig 12 is sometimes available for 80-85, but often marked up a bit. You should jump all over it if it's in your range and he likes rye.

I noticed @BiggE mentioned Knob Creek. At your price range, you could get Knob Creek 12. That's always a good, neutral choice and it's a big jump in quality from the base, which looks nice as a gift. If he's the type to appreciate Cask Strength, Maker's Mark Limited Edition 46 Cask Strength is pretty widely available right now and has broad appeal.

Wild Turkey 101 couldn't get production to meet demands and doesn't have the same quality anymore. I just want to be clear on that since I mentioned it previously.

If you're unhappy with what you can find and OFs are up his alley, high quality bitters are much less often gifted and also tend to be appreciated immensely.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Bourbon is very tough to find the good stuff at MSRP these days, so apologies for the information overload.

Since it's a gift I'll get slightly more snobby than I usually do. Mid-range bottles you might know from more mainstream sources like Basil Hayden's cost way more than the value they provide. That's spending money to spend it, not get a higher-quality bourbon. I used to suggest Weller, Blanton's, or Elmer T. Lee, but you're very unlikely to be able to find a bottle at MSRP. If you somehow get lucky, they're quite good. If it's Blanton's, tell him it's very cinnamon hot unless you add a cube. It really needs it.

Everything from Buffalo Trace Distillery above "Buffalo Trace" would go over extremely well. Although I would call Eagle Rare more suited for Old Fashioneds than sipping and would probably shoot higher if you really like this person. High West Distillery also puts out very good products. HW's limited products in particular are something you have a reasonable shot at getting at MSRP and in the ~80 range. Examples include Rendezvous Rye (if he likes rye), Bourye, and A Midwinter Night's Dram. Whistlepig 12 is sometimes available for 80-85, but often marked up a bit. You should jump all over it if it's in your range and he likes rye.

I noticed @BiggE mentioned Knob Creek. At your price range, you could get Knob Creek 12. That's always a good, neutral choice and it's a big jump in quality from the base, which looks nice as a gift. If he's the type to appreciate Cask Strength, Maker's Mark Limited Edition 46 Cask Strength is pretty widely available right now and has broad appeal.

Wild Turkey 101 couldn't get production to meet demands and doesn't have the same quality anymore. I just want to be clear on that since I mentioned it previously.

Awesome stuff. Thank you, and everyone else as well!

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

If you're unhappy with what you can find and OFs are up his alley, high quality bitters are much less often gifted and also tend to be appreciated immensely.
Good call on the Buffalo Trace, I very much like there top tier selections. Now that I know his price range, yeah, Whistlepig for sure if you can find it or Knob's Creek 12 would both fit the bill.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

I see you mentioned Old Fashioneds. I'm a fan too, but I'm going to be brutally honest and say worrying too much about the liquor you put in is a waste of time. The sugar and bitters carry it and really even hide most of the differences in high-end options. Even at the height of my liquor stock, I made them with Wild Turkey 101, Old Overholt, or base Sazerac. I'd spend more on more obscure bitters than the bottle in many cases.
Can I get a simple old fashioned recipe? I might try one this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->