jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They were probably absolutely wired
1774: Boston Tea Party spoils the taste of fish

“Letters from Boston complain much of the taste of their fish being altered. Four or five hundred chests of tea may have so contaminated the water in the Harbour that the fish may have contracted a disorder, not unlike the nervous complaints of the human body. Should this complaint extend itself as far as the banks of Newfoundland, our Spanish and Portugal fish trade may be much affected by it.”

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
To be fair, an absolutely enormous amount of tea was destroyed. There were copycat events in other colonies afterwards, too.

I can see why they'd still be upset.
I looked it up. They dumped around 92,000 pounds of tea in the harbor. At the time it was worth around £10,000.

In today’s monies, that’s around $1.7 million. That’s a lot of goddamn tea.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I looked it up. They dumped around 92,000 pounds of tea in the harbor. At the time it was worth around £10,000.

In today’s monies, that’s around $1.7 million. That’s a lot of goddamn tea.

And that 1.7 million isn't a perfect equivalent value, that's just basic accounting for inflation. The buying power of that same amount of money was WAY higher than it is now. It was a LOT of tea. Enough to give 9 or 10 cups of tea to everyone in the 13 colonies. Probably 4x or even 15x more than that, because you can get multiple brews out of compacted hunks of tea.

An insane amount of tea. It is not properly communicated how much tea it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->