OT: 70th Obsequious Banter Thread: Hart asked the number to change to 79; we said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, there's actually guidelines for how much you should eat due to chemical levels. People do eat them, but I have no desire to.

I used to hate salmon, wouldn't go near it, and the thing that changed my mind (and my life) was being in Sweden and talking to people about how clean the water was there in Scandinavia. I completely changed my mental picture of them, and that changed what my palate wanted. It was really strange and cool.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I used to hate salmon, wouldn't go near it, and the thing that changed my mind (and my life) was being in Sweden and talking to people about how clean the water was there in Scandinavia. I completely changed my mental picture of them, and that changed what my palate wanted. It was really strange and cool.
The Great Lakes are a cesspool compared to Scandinavia. Salmonids are normally a good indicator of how clean water is, but the Great Lakes salmon are planted there in hatcheries so they buck that trend.

The trout rivers I fish in the Catskills are tailwaters which means the flow comes from reservoirs rather than just regular runoff. The water in those reservoirs is super clean and highly regulated since it's used as drinking water in NYC 120 miles away. Wild trout thrive there since it's such high quality, cold water. Then I go catch and admire them while packing a planetary sized dip. It's the closest thing to church for me.

I could talk about this shit all day so fire away if you ever want to know anything else.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Great Lakes are a cesspool compared to Scandinavia. Salmonids are normally a good indicator of how clean water is, but the Great Lakes salmon are planted there in hatcheries so they buck that trend.

The trout rivers I fish in the Catskills are tailwaters which means the flow comes from reservoirs rather than just regular runoff. The water in those reservoirs is super clean and highly regulated since it's used as drinking water in NYC 120 miles away. Wild trout thrive there since it's such high quality, cold water. Then I go catch and admire them while packing a planetary sized dip. It's the closest thing to church for me.

I could talk about this **** all day so fire away if you ever want to know anything else.

Is there a limit to trout season or the number of trout you can catch? (Normally I can't fish, because of the snakes, but I started thinking about it the other day because I recently read a book about Alaska, then saw Alaska on TV, and Alaska basically has no snakes.) (Not that Alaska has anything to do with the trout where you go, just trying to mansplain why I am asking about fishing.) (Snakes really, really suck ass.)

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Is there a limit to trout season or the number of trout you can catch? (Normally I can't fish, because of the snakes, but I started thinking about it the other day because I recently read a book about Alaska, then saw Alaska on TV, and Alaska basically has no snakes.) (Not that Alaska has anything to do with the trout where you go, just trying to mansplain why I am asking about fishing.) (Snakes really, really suck ass.)
Yeah there are size and bag limits for trout as well as a yearly season which is April 1 to October 15ish where I fish. Different rivers have different regulations.

Alaska is basically a different planet, and is definitely on my bucket list for fishing. Closest I've gotten was British Columbia. You could build your house out of salmon there if you felt like it. No snakes, just bears instead. And they might like salmon even more than you

For all the time I spend on the rivers in the Catskills, I rarely see snakes. They're certainly there though. Actually, we had a small garter snake that lived in our front porch this summer at the cabin. He'd be out every afternoon sunning himself while plotting.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah there are size and bag limits for trout as well as a yearly season which is April 1 to October 15ish where I fish. Different rivers have different regulations.

Alaska is basically a different planet, and is definitely on my bucket list for fishing. Closest I've gotten was British Columbia. You could build your house out of salmon there if you felt like it. No snakes, just bears instead. And they might like salmon even more than you

For all the time I spend on the rivers in the Catskills, I rarely see snakes. They're certainly there though. Actually, we had a small garter snake that lived in our front porch this summer at the cabin. He'd be out every afternoon sunning himself while plotting.

Like, I know I would hardly ever see them - my whole time caddying, I only ever saw about four copperheads - but I knew they were there. My imagination is kind of ridiculous at the best of times, and just knowing that they are around makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

I would love to go up there. I've thought about contacting local governments and seeing if they need someone who loves the cold to go up there and teach because weirdos who don't like the cold wouldn't take the jobs, but searching for that kind of stuff, even contact numbers, is a total nightmare.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Like, I know I would hardly ever see them - my whole time caddying, I only ever saw about four copperheads - but I knew they were there. My imagination is kind of ridiculous at the best of times, and just knowing that they are around makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

I would love to go up there. I've thought about contacting local governments and seeing if they need someone who loves the cold to go up there and teach because weirdos who don't like the cold wouldn't take the jobs, but searching for that kind of stuff, even contact numbers, is a total nightmare.
I'm sure you could find an unwanted cold teaching job up there if you really tried. An old friend of mine moved there recently for a nursing job with a similar mindset. She couldn't be happier.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm sure you could find an unwanted cold teaching job up there if you really tried. An old friend of mine moved there recently for a nursing job with a similar mindset. She couldn't be happier.

Seriously, if I could see moose on like a semi-regular basis, I'd probably explode from joy. I have seen a moose before, and it was so gloriously stupid. I'll never forget it.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Seriously, if I could see moose on like a semi-regular basis, I'd probably explode from joy. I have seen a moose before, and it was so gloriously stupid. I'll never forget it.
I saw a baby moose in Vermont once that was as big as a horse and less coordinated than a newborn giraffe. Just flopping around like a child on stilts. It was a high I fear I'll never be able to find again in my lifetime.

Porcupines are just as fantastically dumb. Would highly recommend seeking some out and watching them live their daily lives.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
They never should’ve made a second Trainspotting.

I refuse to watch it - not messing with that sweet memory. Oh, that reminds me. That Mike guy who is #4 on the list? Related to the events of Aug. 2, 1996 when I went to see "Trainspotting" at the theater (having already read the book). Still hoping to one day get a free shot at that typhoon****.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I didn't want to bump the old thread but I finally saw Avengers: End Game. Fulfilled all expectations while being surprising at the same time.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I refuse to watch it - not messing with that sweet memory. Oh, that reminds me. That Mike guy who is #4 on the list? Related to the events of Aug. 2, 1996 when I went to see "Trainspotting" at the theater (having already read the book). Still hoping to one day get a free shot at that typhoon****.
I watched it yesterday. Big mistake.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I kinda wanted a happier ending for Black Widow but it made sense that someone had to die at Vormir, and if it were Barton my reaction woulda been, "uh who cares."

You mean White Trash Green Arrow? Yep. A big enormous who cares to that tool. He ****ing has a "band," I found out from the Jeep commercials. Execrable.

Reactions: Starat327
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad