Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'd rather have Raty.

Anything past the second round is a complete crap shoot so I don't really follow prospects after the top 50 or 60, the only other kid I wanted was Ottavainen because he looked good as Lambos' partner. Seattle picked him, and I'm good with that. Seattle is gonna need D prospects more than Detroit at this point.
I think it was mistake not to take Raty, especially trade up for some one who could be available in the third.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
People who are thinking others will eat their words, he's still not even top 40 in the league in scoring, or even near the top of his own team in scoring. He's playing fine, but he's not world burning, and there are a lot of players who are having similar or better seasons that are undrafted in the NCAA.
Yeah because Top 5 in freshman scoring in the NCAA should not be commended

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's playing on a very offensively talented team. He's not doing anything world burning. He's still a reach for a 3rd round pick.
It's uncommon for anyone picked after the second round to become impact players, it's kinda funny that you're getting all worked up about a third round pick when Stevie traded away 2 second rounders.

I'll take a PPG college player in the 3rd round any day of the week.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It's uncommon for anyone picked after the second round to become impact players, it's kinda funny that you're getting all worked up about a third round pick when Stevie traded away 2 second rounders.

I'll take a PPG college player in the 3rd round any day of the week.
Then you better get signing the 37 players in the NCAA that are undrafted but are PPG, including the 15 that have a better PPG than Mazur.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's playing on a very offensively talented team. He's not doing anything world burning. He's still a reach for a 3rd round pick.

I don't see that as a negative. If we have a front office that just imports McKenzie's rankings for their draft board then we have a lot of guys who aren't doing their jobs. We see our guys make some reaches occasionally, I think that's a good thing. They are looking at these guys and taking the guys they believe in rather than the guys the majority of people have come to some sort of consensus on.

Most of these picks aren't going to boom, but I like having a front office that seems to at least be trying to identify players/qualities they want even than one that doesn't.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's still a reach for a 3rd round pick.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read on here. A reach for a third rounder?? Third rounders barely do anything in the long run, so having one who right after the draft was playing top 6 minutes at the world juniors and is over a point per game in college kinda shows it wasnt a reach at all.

He looks really, really solid for a third rounder. Might never make the NHL, but he definitely looks like it was worht drafting him where he was drafted based on this year alone

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Then you better get signing the 37 players in the NCAA that are undrafted but are PPG, including the 15 that have a better PPG than Mazur.
He is actually 29th in the nation in scoring among all players and 2nd among freshmen which is very promising especially for a guy who brings so much more than production to the table.
Mazur has probably exceeded expectations more than any other Wings prospect so far this season.

NCAA College Men's Ice Hockey DI current individual Stats | NCAA.com

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He's still a reach in the same way Tyler Bertuzzi and Mo Seider are still reaches and Zadina is a steal.

I don't care about your perceived value on draft day. Give me good hockey players

Reactions: Crunchy

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He is actually 29th in the nation in scoring among all players and 2nd among freshmen which is very promising especially for a guy who brings so much more than production to the table.
Mazur has probably exceeded expectations more than any other Wings prospect so far this season.

NCAA College Men's Ice Hockey DI current individual Stats | NCAA.com

37 players are ppg or better who haven't been drafted. Read what I responded to before you respond to me.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on here. A reach for a third rounder?? Third rounders barely do anything in the long run, so having one who right after the draft was playing top 6 minutes at the world juniors and is over a point per game in college kinda shows it wasnt a reach at all.

He looks really, really solid for a third rounder. Might never make the NHL, but he definitely looks like it was worht drafting him where he was drafted based on this year alone
His only qualification on draft day was he was one of Draper's boys. After a decade of Holland's antics of signing and extending people with personal connections to him, or guys he personally liked, I want nothing to do with that mentality.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
His only qualification on draft day was he was one of Draper's boys. After a decade of Holland's antics of signing and extending people with personal connections to him, or guys he personally liked, I want nothing to do with that mentality.
I bet just about every other team wished they drafted him higher than the Wings, right about now.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

So 6 months after the draft his qualifications are now a really good NCAA freshman year and top 6 at the world juniors. Doy ou consider that a reach for third rounder? If anything its exceeding his draft position.

So do you really think things changed that much in the last 6 months or did you just not actually watch him play at the time and are holding onto your bad take so you dont look as bad now?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So 6 months after the draft his qualifications are now a really good NCAA freshman year and top 6 at the world juniors. Doy ou consider that a reach for third rounder? If anything its exceeding his draft position.

So do you really think things changed that much in the last 6 months or did you just not actually watch him play at the time and are holding onto your bad take so you dont look as bad now?
His WJC performance isnt worth talking about, he was there, but didn't do anything. And his NCAA play is fine, but from what I have seen of Denver he's a passenger on a high power offense.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Can't be proven wrong if you never admit defeat

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Typically those undrafted guys are missing an element to their game. Back in the days, most college players were either undersized or too slow. Even Hobey Baker winners like McPhee had issues making the league.

Better players are going to college now, but if you take a deeper dive into those 37 players you'll find some sort of deficiency and a reason why they didn't get drafted. You're arguments are entirely based on stat watching, if that's all it took then Riley Barber would be a full time NHLer, he's been at the top of AHL scoring the past few years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

“I am receiving new information, maybe I should change/lighten up on my stance.”

things that never happen on HfBoards for 500, please.

Reactions: newfy and jaster

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Typically those undrafted guys are missing an element to their game. Back in the days, most college players were either undersized or too slow. Even Hobey Baker winners like McPhee had issues making the league.

Better players are going to college now, but if you take a deeper dive into those 37 players you'll find some sort of deficiency and a reason why they didn't get drafted. You're arguments are entirely based on stat watching, if that's all it took then Riley Barber would be a full time NHLer, he's been at the top of AHL scoring the past few years.

You literally just made the point I made. Being ppg in the NCAA isn't a huge accomplishment this season, there are 37 undrafted players doing it. And its contextless. Mazur isn't driving the offense in Denver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad