Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The kid is in a Team USA evaluation camp for the WJC... I guess we can blame Ryan Martin for that. I think the idea he shouldn't be drafted or some weird treatment at this point seems a little strange.

The hockey world isn't a giant community. I don't find it at all strange that he knows those kids and in the years like the last couple where he has a decade book on them from them being his son's age and we are upset he is using? Feels like a lot of reaching just to be upset on this one to me gang...

If he is invited to a USA camp I get the feeling he was getting drafted by someone. We liked him a lot and moved up, excited to see him at Denver.

Reactions: wings95 and Frk It

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
If you guys believe all that bs you post here, you should actually ask for Yzerman's head, because he failed at his job of installing and overseeing proper decision making processes.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The kid is in a Team USA evaluation camp for the WJC... I guess we can blame Ryan Martin for that. I think the idea he shouldn't be drafted or some weird treatment at this point seems a little strange.

The hockey world isn't a giant community. I don't find it at all strange that he knows those kids and in the years like the last couple where he has a decade book on them from them being his son's age and we are upset he is using? Feels like a lot of reaching just to be upset on this one to me gang...

If he is invited to a USA camp I get the feeling he was getting drafted by someone. We liked him a lot and moved up, excited to see him at Denver.

Well...didn't move up to get him, but we did jump on him in the third where we felt it was appropriate.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The scouting decisions are ultimately made by Draper with Yzerman having the power of veto that he has admitted to only using for the top picks. I already said in another thread that it was Osgood that convinced Drapes to take Cossa which is looking like the reason we took him over Wallstedt instead of perceived character concerns. And we know that Mazur has ties to Draper which feels very much like a nepotism pick.

I haven't seen the summer showcase but can you tell me that Mazur looks better than Olsson or Robertsson from their videos? Those two played against men in the SHL for chunks of the season and they project to be a top 6 winger and top 4 defensemen at their best. Mazur projects to be a 4th line winger.
The thing is that he literally played against those guys last night. And stood out more. But he's a year older so who knows. Again, I'm pretty sure if they felt like Robertsson or Olsson had any chance of being a top 6 or top 4 d then they would have been the pick. And to be fair, Robertsson looked like crap at the u18s so maybe they were high on him in the past but his poor season turned them off.

BTW, if any of you guys are interested you can get a month of Hockeytv for $25 using code WJSS21 and watch all the games from this and the upcoming Hlinka. They archive everything so you can watch the stuff at your leisure as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Then go get them in UFA. Goodrow wasn't drafted.
Im assuming you meant as undrafted ufas. Because my entire point was that we shouldnt overpay for quality 3rd and 4th line players so we need to draft them. Emphasis on quality.
I mean, we go through this every draft. The Wings take a guy completely off the board when there a dozens of guys that we as posters still really like and everyone flips out. I know I did on Saturday. But Im also willing to admit when I just dont know anything about a guy because he wasnt on my radar. After watching his interview, watching the post draft pressers, and watching him play last night, Im much more excited. Shocker, I dont know more than the guys who have been following these kids for 10 years.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Im assuming you meant as undrafted ufas. Because my entire point was that we shouldnt overpay for quality 3rd and 4th line players so we need to draft them. Emphasis on quality.
I mean, we go through this every draft. The Wings take a guy completely off the board when there a dozens of guys that we as posters still really like and everyone flips out. I know I did on Saturday. But Im also willing to admit when I just dont know anything about a guy because he wasnt on my radar. After watching his interview, watching the post draft pressers, and watching him play last night, Im much more excited. Shocker, I dont know more than the guys who have been following these kids for 10 years.

Its also not like getting them as an undrafted UFA is guaranteed or anthing like that. The wings literally had Goodrow in camp and wanted to sign him and it didnt happen. So no, it isnt easy to just sign guys like that as a free agent

Reactions: jfrank21

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Goodrow was undrafted.
And you can go get your Goodrow in free agency for next to nothing.
The idea that you have to draft a 3rd or 4th line role player or overpay for them is fiction.
Good role players are literally available for very cheap every year in free agency.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Goodrow was undrafted.
And you can go get your Goodrow in free agency for next to nothing.
The idea that you have to draft a 3rd or 4th line role player or overpay for them is fiction.
Good role players are literally available for very cheap every year in free agency.

Detroit literally had Goodrow in camp as an undrafted free agent and he refused to sign so your example is pretty bad.

Good role players arent cheap and are often some of the worst contracts down the line. Teams need them but they dont usually hold up long after they hit free agent years. Lets also not pretend all these guys theyre drafting are capped as third or fourth liners, its possible these guys become top line players that just happen to have skills that would work on lower lines as well.

Whenever a player has some grit or can play defensively half the posters on this board assume they have the ceiling of a fourth line player.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Reminds me a bit of the Sam Stange pick last year. Both were undrafted, both were quite meh in their draft year and both did quite well in the year they got drafted. Similar size, both barely ranked. Both in college.

Will see in 2/3 years if they become something.

Reactions: Henkka

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Reminds me a bit of the Sam Stange pick last year. Both were undrafted, both were quite meh in their draft year and both did quite well in the year they got drafted. Similar size, both barely ranked. Both in college.

Will see in 2/3 years if they become something.

Alex Cotton too. It seems to be a move our scouting staff likes making in these late rounds.

The reasoning makes sense to me. Once you get beyond pick, idk, 50 or so, the odds of hitting get pretty bleak. Yet every year you see a good handful of undrafted free agents break into the league.

By drafting over-agers you're essentially trying to recognize that "late breakout" earlier than other teams and lock a player up before they hit the market as an undrafted free agent.

Obviously I can't say whether or not that's going to be a winning strategy, but I get the logic behind it.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Not that this means anything, but Pronman included Mazur on bus first WJC roster prediction. Sounds like if nothing else, the kid stuck out this past week.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This will be a fun bump to follow. He’s playing himself into being worthy of regular conversation.

Reactions: ChadS

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
This thread definitely has some potentially exceptional quote material for the "fans overreacting" category.

There were valid reasons why people were not overjoyed with the puck though. He has surpassed my expectations.

Lets wait 2 more NCAA years to reevalute

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
There were valid reasons why people were not overjoyed with the puck though. He has surpassed my expectations.

Lets wait 2 more NCAA years to reevalute
If the reactions were just "not overjoyed" those posts wouldn't have much worth quoting, it went quite a bit further than that.

Anyway I agree there's no reason to make final judgements on these guys after a year or two, hence the "potentially", and that applies to both those who succeed as well as those who struggle.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Mazur Rackham gonna save us from the Buggers. And then he’s gonna coach for us and in like twenty years after that, we will get the most broken player in the league

Reactions: TheOtherOne

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Excellent pick. Thank god I never questioned Draper

It's ok to question things, my dude. And it's ok to be wrong.

At the draft I would have rather had Josh Doan and Anton Olsson at these picks. I'm pretty happy with Mazur and the season he's had. But considering how well all our other LD have been developing I would still rather have Josh Doan than Buium right now.

Mazur - Doan and Mastrosimone (if he pans out) would have the makings of a pretty scrappy 3rd or 4th line.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's ok to question things, my dude. And it's ok to be wrong.

At the draft I would have rather had Josh Doan and Anton Olsson at these picks. I'm pretty happy with Mazur and the season he's had. But considering how well all our other LD have been developing I would still rather have Josh Doan than Buium right now.

Mazur - Doan and Mastrosimone (if he pans out) would have the makings of a pretty scrappy 3rd or 4th line.
I'd rather have Raty.

Anything past the second round is a complete crap shoot so I don't really follow prospects after the top 50 or 60, the only other kid I wanted was Ottavainen because he looked good as Lambos' partner. Seattle picked him, and I'm good with that. Seattle is gonna need D prospects more than Detroit at this point.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
People who are thinking others will eat their words, he's still not even top 40 in the league in scoring, or even near the top of his own team in scoring. He's playing fine, but he's not world burning, and there are a lot of players who are having similar or better seasons that are undrafted in the NCAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad