Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hanas was maybe 10 picks too high. He was well liked by lots of scouting guides.
Not even close to the same thing as Mazur an overager who might not have been drafted.

To me, Hanas is like the Buium pick.
He's a guy I had only my list. he just went too high.
But at least I can understand it.

I had Hanas ranked #110 also in heavily consensus weighted rank. And he went #55.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't stress a great deal about how 3rd rounders are going to turn out. It's nice when the pick pans out, but I'm more resigned they'll join the majority of 3rd rounders and not come to much of anything.

If Mazur is good enough to be recruited by a powerhouse like DU and be getting looks from the US team, then that's a good sign in my book. We'll see how he pans out.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is one that will be interesting to me. Seems like he was more highly thought of in actual scouting circles than in the media. Scouting report actually reads a lot like Point (not saying hes that good or anything) but Stevie likes a certain type of player. A weird draft but not surprising given the current situation the world is in.

Yzerman is possibly the most competitive athlete I'veseen play. If people think hes giving Draper a pass to just draft buddies that arent deserving I dont know what to tell you

I think the fact that he's an overager bothers some people as well, but listening to Draper talk about him, it sounds like he grew 2-3 inches and added 10-20 pounds of good weight that helped him have a breakout year of sorts. It feels like a late bloomer situation, and Draper having first hand exposure certainly would help in knowing the way that he is wired.

Hopefully it is a late bloomer situation and not a real situation that we threw a pick at someone as a favor.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think the fact that he's an overager bothers some people as well, but listening to Draper talk about him, it sounds like he grew 2-3 inches and added 10-20 pounds of good weight that helped him have a breakout year of sorts. It feels like a late bloomer situation, and Draper having first hand exposure certainly would help in knowing the way that he is wired.

Hopefully it is a late bloomer situation and not a real situation that we threw a pick at someone as a favor.

If he was just throwing someone a bone, he would've just drafted him late/last season. Drapes is also ridiculously competitive, hes not throwing anyone a favour for the sake of making his parents happy. Overagers are kinda meh but lots of good reports about him it seems like

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
at 70 I would have preferred to go for someone with more potential and if this does turn out to be Draper's pick I am starting to fall in with others that it's maybe becoming time to review his influence on the draft. This guy wouldn't have been available later?

Not to stuck on a 3rd rounder heck even if they ever play an NHL game its almost a win. Just doesn't seem like much ceiling here and probably would have liked to take a flyer on a center.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If he was just throwing someone a bone, he would've just drafted him late/last season. Drapes is also ridiculously competitive, hes not throwing anyone a favour for the sake of making his parents happy. Overagers are kinda meh but lots of good reports about him it seems like
Unless he's the parent, lol.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
People are making to big of a deal about drafting an overager with the way last year abruptly ended

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If you think any pick should be used for nepotism, I dunno what to tell you.

Youll have to point out where I said that. I can find people saying this pick was only because Draper knows him. Reading is hard

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
at 70 I would have preferred to go for someone with more potential and if this does turn out to be Draper's pick I am starting to fall in with others that it's maybe becoming time to review his influence on the draft. This guy wouldn't have been available later?

Not to stuck on a 3rd rounder heck even if they ever play an NHL game its almost a win. Just doesn't seem like much ceiling here and probably would have liked to take a flyer on a center.

Simon Robertsson
https://thehockeywriters.com/simon-robertsson-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Anton Olsson
https://thehockeywriters.com/anton-olsson-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2 guys that went immediately after Mazar at #71 and #72. Mazar probably would have been available in the 5th or 6th round. That's pretty much what my problem with this pick is.

This draft would look a lot better with Robertsson/Olsson, Savage, Dower-Nilsson, Plandowski, THEN Mazar.

Maybe Hakan Andersson was pounding on the table to pick Liam Dower-Nilsson because Draper was f***ing up in rounds 2 and 3? I'll have to give it a listen again, but Hakan gave an interview on the EliteProspects podcast during this season and I think he mentioned Robertsson and Olsson and some of the other Swedes of this draft class.

Reactions: Retire91 and Henkka

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Simon Robertsson
https://thehockeywriters.com/simon-robertsson-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Anton Olsson
https://thehockeywriters.com/anton-olsson-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

2 guys that went immediately after Mazar at #71 and #72. Mazar probably would have been available in the 5th or 6th round. That's pretty much what my problem with this pick is.

This draft would look a lot better with Robertsson/Olsson, Savage, Dower-Nilsson, Plandowski, THEN Mazar.

Maybe Hakan Andersson was pounding on the table to pick Liam Dower-Nilsson because Draper was f***ing up in rounds 2 and 3? I'll have to give it a listen again, but Hakan gave an interview on the EliteProspects podcast during this season and I think he mentioned Robertsson and Olsson and some of the other Swedes of this draft class.
Ill be the first to admit that I had those guys high, just based on preference. And that I had no clue who Carter Mazur was. But look at it this way, those two guys were obviously on Hakans radar. We know they have been leaning heavily on Hakan the past few drafts, so if he was adament about them they would have been the pick. Maybe they felt the type of game that Mazur plays will be more helpful to their team in the future and that he has a better chance to be able to use that game in the big league.
Mazur said he grew and put on 30lbs during the Rona shutdown, that helped him to be able to play the type of game that he likes and led to his breakout. All I know is that I watched his summer showcase game last night and he looked good. If he somehow makes team USA for the WJC, I think everyone will start singing something different. We need players like him to be able to step in and be CHEAP young depth in the future so we arent stuck paying 4 mil a year to the Barclay Goodrows of the league.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ill be the first to admit that I had those guys high, just based on preference. And that I had no clue who Carter Mazur was. But look at it this way, those two guys were obviously on Hakans radar. We know they have been leaning heavily on Hakan the past few drafts, so if he was adament about them they would have been the pick. Maybe they felt the type of game that Mazur plays will be more helpful to their team in the future and that he has a better chance to be able to use that game in the big league.
Mazur said he grew and put on 30lbs during the Rona shutdown, that helped him to be able to play the type of game that he likes and led to his breakout. All I know is that I watched his summer showcase game last night and he looked good. If he somehow makes team USA for the WJC, I think everyone will start singing something different. We need players like him to be able to step in and be CHEAP young depth in the future so we arent stuck paying 4 mil a year to the Barclay Goodrows of the league.

The scouting decisions are ultimately made by Draper with Yzerman having the power of veto that he has admitted to only using for the top picks. I already said in another thread that it was Osgood that convinced Drapes to take Cossa which is looking like the reason we took him over Wallstedt instead of perceived character concerns. And we know that Mazur has ties to Draper which feels very much like a nepotism pick.

I haven't seen the summer showcase but can you tell me that Mazur looks better than Olsson or Robertsson from their videos? Those two played against men in the SHL for chunks of the season and they project to be a top 6 winger and top 4 defensemen at their best. Mazur projects to be a 4th line winger.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Then go get them in UFA. Goodrow wasn't drafted.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

It’s been pretty determined that it’s a Draper pick.

A guy over on Reddit met Mazur’s grandma at the showcase yesterday, and she confirmed Draper used to coach him and that he’s still really close with the family.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It’s been pretty determined that it’s a Draper pick.

A guy over on Reddit met Mazur’s grandma at the showcase yesterday, and she confirmed Draper used to coach him and that he’s still really close with the family.

You say this like you've turned over some scandalous information that is unknown. Draper essentially said this himself when addressing the media. Everyone who even makes an attempt to follow the Wings draft is aware of the connection between the two.

It hasn't been determined that this is a Draper pick. There's a lot to indicate that Draper had a lot of intel that could play into making the pick, but there is nothing to suggest that he went rogue and made this pick against the best interest of the team. He also mentioned at length that the area scouts wanted to pick him, so are we just picking and choosing which stories have merit and which don't? I'm just a bit confused here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->