Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Ok, I'll be honest, I'm starting to get jazzed about these Mazur takes from a couple posters who obviously hated the pick on draft day because of Draper, and now are doubling down, sounding ridiculous. It's comedy at this point. Argumentum ad Logicam cloaked in bad faith criticisms of the player. Don't stop.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You literally just made the point I made. Being ppg in the NCAA isn't a huge accomplishment this season, there are 37 undrafted players doing it. And its contextless. Mazur isn't driving the offense in Denver.
It isn't a bad thing either, you're acting like it's a negative which is strange. If he wasn't producing then I'd be concerned.

What's really strange is that Stevie/Draper have picked worse players and you're hung up on bashing this kid who's actually doing well. Stange has 5 points in 24 games, -5. But hey, let's bash a kid who's 1.1 PPG, lol.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
It isn't a bad thing either, you're acting like it's a negative which is strange. If he wasn't producing then I'd be concerned.

What's really strange is that Stevie/Draper have picked worse players and you're hung up on bashing this kid who's actually doing well. Stange has 5 points in 24 games, -5. But hey, let's bash a kid who's 1.1 PPG, lol.
I wasn't impressed with the draft after the first round in general.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You literally just made the point I made. Being ppg in the NCAA isn't a huge accomplishment this season, there are 37 undrafted players doing it. And its contextless. Mazur isn't driving the offense in Denver.

He’s doing all the other things well though.

Nobody is proclaiming he’s going to be a top 10 nhl scorer, but it’s ok to think he’s got upside. Mazur skates well, shoots well, plays physical and gritty, is strong on the boards and defensively, and does whatever it takes to make a play. Even if he only tops out as a 3rd/4th line role player Detroit needs those types. You trashing him all the time has no real justification other than your bias against him being a Draper pick.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He’s doing all the other things well though.

Nobody is proclaiming he’s going to be a top 10 nhl scorer, but it’s ok to think he’s got upside. Mazur skates well, shoots well, plays physical and gritty, is strong on the boards and defensively, and does whatever it takes to make a play. Even if he only tops out as a 3rd/4th line role player Detroit needs those types. You trashing him all the time has no real justification other than your bias against him being a Draper pick.

He's not even half of the things you listed. If he was he wouldn't have gone undrafted in 2020 and would have been left on the board for 69 (haha sex number) picks for 2021.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He's not even half of the things you listed. If he was he wouldn't have gone undrafted in 2020 and would have been left on the board for 69 (haha sex number) picks for 2021.

giphy.gif

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

How dare he grow and fill out his frame and continue to practice and get better between 2020 and 2021

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
His WJC performance isnt worth talking about, he was there, but didn't do anything. And his NCAA play is fine, but from what I have seen of Denver he's a passenger on a high power offense.

Well its worth talking about the fact that the people who select the USA WJ team thought hes been good enough this year to play in their top 6. Yeah, we didnt get to see a lot but the guys picking the team have watched him plenty and thought he was worth using in a big role.

And even if he is a "passenger", being a passenger that can score as much as he has been in a short time after jumping leagues is pretty good. Hes a third rounder for god's sake, does he have to be 2 points per game and driving the offense all by himself to be worth a third round pick? Its pretty outrageous to think what hes doing is underwhelming for a third rounder, but congrats on sticking to your guns on a ridiculous opinion evenw hen theres plenty of evidence against it

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Being a ppg undrafted fourth year NCAA player doesn't mean much that is true, but being a ppg freshman NCAA player is pretty good.
He's overage though, so not a true freshman, but still pretty good.

Not really sure how much more you could really expect out of a third rounder, but he wants to die on this hill, lol.

Reactions: newfy

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's overage though, so not a true freshman, but still pretty good.

Not really sure how much more you could really expect out of a third rounder, but he wants to die on this hill, lol.
Oh yea, he was a 19 year old draft pick.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Mazur has been far from a passenger at DU this season. He has consistently been involved in the play in all three zones and plays extremely hard. No one should suggest he projects as a sure fire top-six forward at the NHL level (at least at this point) but he absolutely has earned his production and has played genuinely well for a freshmen in a top NCAA league. By most realistic standards this has been a successful season for him.

In terms of his forward DU colleagues, he actually projects better as a professional player than most, if not all of them given his versatility. He his bigger and longer and a better skater than Brink, Savoie and Rizzo and much better off of the puck. Savoie and Brink are top-six or bust at the next level. Personally I have reservations about Savoie's production translating considering the types of goals he scores, his overall skating and work rate off of the puck. I love Brink but the skating still spooks me.

I would never expect anyone to call Mazur their favorite prospect but I find it odd that people are so frustrated by him. People have some awfully odd hang ups.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I would never expect anyone to call Mazur their favorite prospect

He's not my favorite, but when I look at my own prospect rankings from preseason to now, he's been my biggest riser (probably only because I was already high on Sebrango, who has also moved up). And his type of game is one I really like. So he's easily one of my favorite prospects at this point.

As an aside, would be kinda interesting to see posters' lists of "favorite" prospects. I'd expect them to still be fairly in line with regular prospect ranking lists since it's hard to make a list and put some bottom-6 forward over a top-pair defenseman, but I'd bet there'd still be some interesting differences.

My criteria for "favorite" is probably some combination of how much I like their style, and how much they are currently outperforming their draft slot/general expectations. My top-5 favorite prospects real quick off the top of my head.....

1. Sebrango
2. Edvinsson
3. Mazur
4. Johansson
5. Mastrosimone

Reactions: newfy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He's not my favorite, but when I look at my own prospect rankings from preseason to now, he's been my biggest riser (probably only because I was already high on Sebrango, who has also moved up). And his type of game is one I really like. So he's easily one of my favorite prospects at this point.

As an aside, would be kinda interesting to see posters' lists of "favorite" prospects. I'd expect them to still be fairly in line with regular prospect ranking lists since it's hard to make a list and put some bottom-6 forward over a top-pair defenseman, but I'd bet there'd still be some interesting differences.

My criteria for "favorite" is probably some combination of how much I like their style, and how much they are currently outperforming their draft slot/general expectations. My top-5 favorite prospects real quick off the top of my head.....

1. Sebrango
2. Edvinsson
3. Mazur
4. Johansson
5. Mastrosimone
Wallinder's rising, Mastrisimone never did anything for me. I would criticize that pick before Mazur.

Of all picks to criticize, lol.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Wallinder's rising, Mastrisimone never did anything for me. I would criticize that pick before Mazur.

Of all picks to criticize, lol.

Mastrosimone's development has seemingly tapered off a little, but I like his game for many of the same reasons I like Mazur's. He's smaller, but like Mazur, he has excellent compete and a two-way game, with some puck ability and slick hands. High floor. Though his point totals from season to season haven't escalated as hoped, he is leading BU in points among forwards and that's not nothin'. Will be interesting to see where his development goes from here. He's still solidly in the Soderblom-Niederbach-Mazur tier for me right now, though Mazur may be pulling away, and the other two have a higher ceiling.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

1. Sebrango
2. Edvinsson
3. Mazur
4. Johansson
5. Mastrosimone

By "favorite" I meant that he wasn't the sexiest prospect in the pool. I am totally with you though. I have a ton of time for guys who play the game of hockey the way that Mazur does and find that they outperform expectations far more than other player profiles. Hockey is hard game that you don't always get to play on your terms. I have come to appreciate guys that can play in a variety of different situations and with various types of players.

Reactions: newfy and jaster

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Mine's definitely quite a bit different than my ranking. My favorites are basically the guys I'd love to see carve out NHL careers cause I think they'd bring something fun to the table:

1. Simon Edvinsson
2. Kirill Tyutyayev
3. Theodor Niederbach
4. Cross Hanas
5. Albert Johansson

Reactions: jaster

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Mastrosimone's development has seemingly tapered off a little, but I like his game for many of the same reasons I like Mazur's. He's smaller, but like Mazur, he has excellent compete and a two-way game, with some puck ability and slick hands. High floor. Though his point totals from season to season haven't escalated as hoped, he is leading BU in points among forwards and that's not nothin'. Will be interesting to see where his development goes from here. He's still solidly in the Soderblom-Niederbach-Mazur tier for me right now, though Mazur may be pulling away, and the other two have a higher ceiling.

BU’s program has taken a hit the last 3 or 4 years. The other problem is the current coach plays Mastrosimone like he’s a 3rd liner, then plays someone like Boucher top 6.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This kid reminds me a lot of Kirk Maltby. I don't think it is a mistake that Draper has always seen it and noticed the big jump forward at 19 to go with all the other traits he already liked. Looks like a really good gamble here on insider information. People might hate that, but it plays out in scouting from time to time. You have to take advantage of it sometimes, I like when Drapes has used it despite people losing their minds over a 7th round pick. There are absolutely benefits, especially in the last two age groups where he watched those kids for years, more than most scouts with his history with Little Caesars.

Mastro plays a really smart game, I like how he fits a pro game. We will see, I think he spends some time in Grand Rapids for sure, but I still see a lot there to like in the player. When you actually turn on a BU game, I find I have rarely been disappointed clear back to his Freshman year. Looks like an up and down the lineup guy. Like we are saying with Mazur. You need these guys, Yzerman collected a lot of them in Tampa. I like that we have a few, I think we are going to keep collecting this type of player. The kind of depth player Yzerman likes in my opinion. They have high level complete, some jam, skill and just decent hockey sense. They make a lot of the right plays, that is what actually stands out to me about both Mazur and Masto. Just make the play that is there, don't **** your pants looking for a ton more as Torts would say.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: jaster and Frk It

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
ThERe aRe 37 UnDrAftEd PlAyeRs wHO ARe OveR a PPg iN teH NCAA sO MAzuR StILL suX!! (Nevermind the fact that they are all undersized, over the age of 21, or are in their 3rd year playing NCAA hockey). Here's a hint, go to elite prospects and filter all NCAA players who are a PPG and better who are 20 or under and see how many are undrafted. There are 2 and one is a Sophomore.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

1. Sebrango
2. Edvinsson
3. Mazur
4. Johansson
5. Mastrosimone
Why Sebrango is number 1. I think he was excellent prospect where we took him, but man Edvinsson is one of the best defenseman among SHL. To be honest I don't know who I will like better between him and Seider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad