Prospect Info: #70 - Carter Mazur (LW)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Why Sebrango is number 1. I think he was excellent prospect where we took him, but man Edvinsson is one of the best defenseman among SHL. To be honest I don't know who I will like better between him and Seider

Why? I like a good underdog, I like Sebrango's game a lot, and he's way outperforming his draft slot. He checks all the marks for me as a favorite prospect. I may very well wind up liking Edvinsson better as an NHLer, given what their relative impacts will likely be, but as prospects Sebrango is the better story.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Why? I like a good underdog, I like Sebrango's game a lot, and he's way outperforming his draft slot. He checks all the marks for me as a favorite prospect. I may very well wind up liking Edvinsson better as an NHLer, given what their relative impacts will likely be, but as prospects Sebrango is the better story.

I agree with this completely, probably have Sebrango as my "favourite", but once guys get to the NHL that kinda goes out the window anyways. I would probably have a combo of Edvinsson, Berggren, Mazur and Soderblom after that though. And I will say, no one is talking about Zito as a 6th rounder who missed a whole year but hes putting together a really solid season. I watched him play once and came away thinking there might be something there. Not gonna call him a favourite, but he has a chance to move up quick shortly

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
That second rate development league that produced 4 of the top 5 picks this year?
b1f7d1521c9828355c699a58a9e78cf3.jpg

Hughes was drafted out of the USHL, not the NCAA. :D

Reactions: RabidBadger

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Another prospect I like, actually not sure if he’s a prospect though, is Wyatt Newpower. I think he’s looked really good in Grand Rapids and should be pushing for a bottom 6 role in Detroit

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Then you better get signing the 37 players in the NCAA that are undrafted but are PPG, including the 15 that have a better PPG than Mazur.

I wish I could let this go, but I just can't.

How many of those players that you mentioned were selected for the WJC team and which of them would you have taken over Mazur?

This year, undrafted Owen Sillinger is outscoring every 1st round pick. Why did all these NHL teams pick scrubs like Beniers and Lucius when they could have had him?

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

How many of those players that you mentioned were selected for the WJC team and which of them would you have taken over Mazur?

This year, undrafted Owen Sillinger is outscoring every 1st round pick. Why did all these NHL teams pick scrubs like Beniers and Lucius when they could have had him?
What is that dude even talking about?

U20 NCAA PPG: Mazur is 6th. Behind a couple of top 5 picks (Sanderson, Beniers, Johnson) and 2 guys who are 5'9'' (Savoie/Berard). No undrafted players in the top 20.

The value in looking at what some undrafted 23 year old, undersized player with no NHL potential is doing is less than zero.
It'd be like saying Edvinsson isn't having a great season because he's not outscoring 30 year old career AHL/SHLers.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Lol. Sillinger is a 24 year old senior, He was older than Mazur is now when he started playing in the NCAA and he scored 19 points in 38 games in his freshman year. Mazur already has 22 in 20.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I don't know much about this kid. Seems like he's having a nice season. I still have my eyebrow raised of Pasquale Zito vs Mazur though.

Zito is just putting too many goals in,(when we don't have a great group of goal scoring prospects) this year to not get noticed. If he ends the season with 30 plus goals he'll almost certainly get a shot in training camp this summer to make an impression.

I'm not pimping him a top line, upper flight type winger. He can likely come in and provide a game similar to Tomas Tatar though imo. Infact that is who I compare him too when I see him play.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nevermind. Carry on.

You do you, I always appreciate your knowledge on college hockey and passion for that level. I think it adds a ton to our board.

Our college guys are having good seasons by in large. Tampa took some college guys but were amongst the heaviest CHL drafters under Yzerman. With a longer plan I think the longer development timeline helped with drafting heavier in Europe and the NCAA. I have liked that strategy thus far, curious of the balance in the future.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If people wanna watch... Mazur and Tuomisto are playing right now (Buium isn't dressed) on CBS Sports Network

The bum already has a PP assist in the 1st Period

Mazur looks the part more than most players on that team. I see mainly collegiate athletes and a few players who will have solid pro careers, even if that’s the AHL. Mazur looks like one of those guys. Game just looks a little slower for him or more natural. Something that the others don’t have

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's total domination by Denver. Tuomisto looks faster , he plays physical games. Mazur , I don't think we have Enother Bert . Buium on covid protocol. Lee looks good for second round next draft

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I was a Mazur doubter. An overager with OK stats. Thought this was a weird pick being so high. Had doubts about our USHL scouts when looking at the past...

Half a year later, he looks good. Very good stats for a freshman. Lets wait and see, he will probably play 2 more seasons in the NCAA to refine his playstyle. Then the AHL which will be the real test to see if he has NHL potential.

Cautiously optimistic, he looks promising so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad