OT: 66th Obsequious Banter Thread: Get your kicks in thread 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I definitely got called out for this in my meeting today... Completely forgot I had these ones on while sitting next to my boss.

Leaving as an attachment and not embedded due to language

Attachments

• 20190228_141703.jpg
    20190228_141703.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 18

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yeah, I’ve never played it. I only know about it because of the awesome cinematics.

There’s a lot of cinematics for different games that are awesome and I wish were turned into full movies (even if the entire thing was animated the same way). Star Wars, Halo, Mass Effect, etc. I wonder why none ever have been.

There was definite talk in regards to making a Halo movie, that fizzled out I'm pretty sure.

I would love Disney to delve deep into making a Knights of the Old Republic themed series of movies. It gets us far away from the Skywalkers and the Empire and the OT. Regardless the games that have been made in that setting have been excellent.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Canon material explains that she stole the info from Kylo's mind when he tried breaking into hers. Learning new skills on the fly as needed was also something Luke did. Nobody taught him how to blind-fire torpedoes using the force. Nobody had taught him how to grab his lightsaber out of the ice with the force.

Not Luke. Luke barely spent any time with any masters and was self-taught. Additionally, the Dark Empire series from that defunct canon had several people using the force without any formal training.

Oh, he killed the people who were just committing atrocities and that had abducted him from his family at a young age to conscript him into the Space SS? I can't blame him.

Han Solo made a similar rash decision that completely destroyed his old life when he returned to the Death Star to help Luke, who he barely knew at that point; he'd just served as his Space Uber driver.

Nah. Force mastery isn't required for using a lightsaber. The indication seems to be that you need to be a force user to build one, but if you've got one you just hit the "on" button. Example: General Grievous running his lightsaber rave.
Like I said I’m not a big Star Wars guy. If it counts any I always thought Luke was a Whiney bitch, and Space Balls is superior to Star Wars.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like I said I’m not a big Star Wars guy. If it counts any I always thought Luke was a Whiney *****, and Space Balls is superior to Star Wars.

That's because Luke is a whiney bitch.

Luke f***ing off into exile to whine about the failings of the Jedi is perfectly in character and it's also right out of the playbook of both his masters.

Reactions: Defect

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The Inner Light is heavy as hell. Imagine living an ENTIRE LIFE and then having to resume your normal day job like nothing happened, and nobody around you gets it.

I have a severe issue with the movies from First Contact on because they are either ****ting all over Picard's character or serving as a Brent Spiner ego rush, but at least Picard going from a measured diplomat to a kill-happy warmonger can be understood as him finally snapping from the accumulated strain of Chain of Command, Inner Light, and being Locutus.

Speaking of Locutus, that episode where Picard goes home and mud-wrestles his brother is really good too. The dude was dealing with a lot and it's great that the show addressed that.
The Inner Light and Darmok are my 2 fave TNG episodes of all time. And yes, Picard’s visit home in the episode, Family, was extremely well done.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
And this is probably why I don't get the harsh critique of Rey. There's nothing wrong with her story for Star Wars standards and all the criticism is very nitpicky to me. It's a series that began with a walking grunting dog wandering around, maybe it's best to avoid digging too deeply below the surface.

Star Trek is similar, too. It tends to get more engaged in the technical aspects of its world than Star Wars does, and does a better job of making that work. Voyager didn't work for me though because it tried digging too deeply. I didn't need to see 25 minutes of fake technobabble per episode.
Yeah, I though Voyager was so-so at best. I really dug DS9 though. The way the last 4 seasons were basically one continuous story based around a galactic war was something new for any Trek show and extremely well done. Plus the recurring support characters; Weyoun, Martok, Dukat, Kai Wynn were fabulous.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
TLJ isn't nearly as bad as people claim.

It's noteworthy and hilarious that a lot of the hate was driven by Russian troll farms seeking to deepen division.

I liked it when I saw it for the first time in theaters.

Then I watched it months later on Netflix and the issues became a lot more evident since I wasn't blinded by the spectacle of "Star Wars movie on the big screen."

My BIGGEST issue is easily the handling of Luke. It's just bad. It's unfulfilling in every way.

Don't even get me started on the awful Canto Bite adventure.

It's just a big mess, and I am as anti-Russian troll farm a person as you will find.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Since we seem to be in a sci-fi mood, what are everyone’s thoughts on the upcoming Dune film? Dune is perhaps my favorite novel of all time (the other contender would be The Stand), and while both the 82 film and the mini series had some good stuff, both were disappointing in general.

From what I’ve seen, it looks like they are putting together a very good cast and more importantly, they plan on splitting the book into 2 films which I feel is the best way to do it. It’s still about a year and a half from release, but I’m very much looking forward to it.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There was definite talk in regards to making a Halo movie, that fizzled out I'm pretty sure.

I would love Disney to delve deep into making a Knights of the Old Republic themed series of movies. It gets us far away from the Skywalkers and the Empire and the OT. Regardless the games that have been made in that setting have been excellent.
I think there's been like 3 or 4 times when a Halo movie/show was planned and then fell apart for various reasons.

Apparently there's TV show being worked on right now too. We'll see if it ever gets finished.
Spielberg's Halo TV Series Starts Filming This Fall

And yeah, I'd love a KotOR movie to be made. I don't think it ever will be though. Disney seems perfectly happy to continue making poor decisions.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The last 2 seasons of The Sopranos weren't bad enough?

Come on BiggE. I’m just glad the genre is coming back a bit with some guys who had success with it previously (Martin Scorsese & David Chase).

OMG is this real life? Finally!

Sopranos is the best TV show of all time. Looking forward to it, even if it will never recapture the magic (obviously).

Yeah it’s a prequel to the show.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I liked it when I saw it for the first time in theaters.

Then I watched it months later on Netflix and the issues became a lot more evident since I wasn't blinded by the spectacle of "Star Wars movie on the big screen."

My BIGGEST issue is easily the handling of Luke. It's just bad. It's unfulfilling in every way.

Don't even get me started on the awful Canto Bite adventure.

It's just a big mess, and I am as anti-Russian troll farm a person as you will find.
Yeah, the Luke parts were by far my biggest issue with it too.

I understand Han dying, because (if I remember correctly) Harrison Ford didn't want to continue being in the movies and it actually made sense as part of the story of Kylo Ren. But even Mark Hamil was against the way Luke was handled and it seemed like he would have been fine continuing to be in the movies. It's also bizarre that the one character that was kept around is Leia, even after Carrie Fisher died... it would've made way more sense for her to be the one to sacrifice herself.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Come on BiggE. I’m just glad the genre is coming back a bit with some guys who had success with it previously (Martin Scorsese & David Chase).

Yeah it’s a prequel to the show.

I just hope it’s done well, the Sopranos, especially the first 3 seasons, was amazing. But man, it did not end well. Fat queer Vito, A.J. in mental ward and the end of Christopher arc was just horrible.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I understand Han dying, because (if I remember correctly) Harrison Ford didn't want to continue being in the movies and it actually made sense as part of the story of Kylo Ren. But even Mark Hamil was against the way Luke was handled and it seemed like he would have been fine continuing to be in the movies. It's also bizarre that the one character that was kept around is Leia, even after Carrie Fisher died... it would've made way more sense for her to be the one to sacrifice herself.

Yup. There was a poor narrative choice in almost every scene of the movie. It's almost like Rian Johnson was intentionally not giving the fans what they want. It felt vindictive in a way.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yup. There was a poor narrative choice in almost every scene of the movie. It's almost like Rian Johnson was intentionally not giving the fans what they want. It felt vindictive in a way.
If his goal was to piss off the fanbase, he certainly found the perfect way to do it.

Making these movies should have been pretty easy, to be honest. You pay respect to the original trilogy with references and cameos, but create a new story branching off from it. Instead they shit on the original trilogy and made a new story that's just a mess.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
First:

tenor.gif

Since we seem to be in a sci-fi mood, what are everyone’s thoughts on the upcoming Dune film? Dune is perhaps my favorite novel of all time (the other contender would be The Stand), and while both the 82 film and the mini series had some good stuff, both were disappointing in general.

From what I’ve seen, it looks like they are putting together a very good cast and more importantly, they plan on splitting the book into 2 films which I feel is the best way to do it. It’s still about a year and a half from release, but I’m very much looking forward to it.

Second, I'm calmly excited. I'm not gonna get my hopes up because this is a hard work to turn into a movie, but I really enjoy some of these casting decisions so far.

The original movie is not a good movie. But it's such a bizarre movie I have to love it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

She died after the film was finished.

I think we have a very different direction had that not been the case.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just hope it’s done well, the Sopranos, especially the first 3 seasons, was amazing. But man, it did not end well. Fat queer Vito, A.J. in mental ward and the end of Christopher arc was just horrible.

I hear you. There’s still some stuff I like from those later seasons though. Tony B & Phil were some great characters I thought.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
First:

tenor.gif

Second, I'm calmly excited. I'm not gonna get my hopes up because this is a hard work to turn into a movie, but I really enjoy some of these casting decisions so far.

The original movie is not a good movie. But it's such a bizarre movie I have to love it.
The film had some good parts, and yeah it was weird, but overall it was weak. The highlight was probably Sian Phillips as the Rev Mother Mohiam. She was a fabulous actress; I especially loved her portrayal of Livia In I Claudius.

Splitting it into 2 films should really help. I would end the first film with Paul and Jessica being taken in by the Fremen, it would be a logical place to stop. I also really hope the Atreides dinner party from early in the book is included this time. Herbert thought it was an important scene and was upset that it was not in the film.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The film had some good parts, and yeah it was weird, but overall it was weak. The highlight was probably Sian Phillips as the Rev Mother Mohiam. She was a fabulous actress; I especially loved her portrayal of Livia In I Claudius.

Splitting it into 2 films should really help. I would end the first film with Paul and Jessica being taken in by the Fremen, it would be a logical place to stop. I also really hope the Atreides dinner party from early in the book is included this time. Herbert thought it was an important scene and was upset that it was not in the film.

A big problem I have with the original film is that if you haven't read the book, good luck following along.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
A big problem I have with the original film is that if you haven't read the book, good luck following along.
Oh absolutely. I saw it twice in theatres. First with a couple friends who were into the book, we each liked certain things about it, but we all thought it very flawed. The second time was with my girlfriend at the time. After the movie, I asked her what she thought of it. Her response was “you’re lucky I love you”

Yeah, I didn’t get laid that night, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad