OT: 66th Obsequious Banter Thread: Get your kicks in thread 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
She defeats Kylo Ren because he was shot with Chewbacca's crossbow, a weapon that they tried to show how powerful it was the ENTIRE movie.

Force users are famously hard to kill. Darth Vader lost 3 limbs and was burned entirely and lived. Darth Maul got cut him half and fell into Ye Olde Bottomless Pit and made it through. That movie also happens to establish that Kylo can control and manipulate those shots, so who knows what he might have done to neutralize it.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Star Wars died with with The Phantom Menace but the symptoms of the illness first showed up in the Special Editions (most would probably say the Ewoks were the beginning but I have a soft spot for those little bastards due to my family). I went from reading 50+ Star Wars novels to just cold turkey "f*** this.".

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I’m not a big Star Wars fan but I can appreciate the original trilogy. Never watched the prequels.
The new one with Rey(the first with her) was garbage, as was rogue one.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Prequels > The Last Jedi.

Don't @ me because i'm not sure if I actually believe this or if i'm just throwing out a hot take.
There was Star Wars which was great. Then there was The Empire Strikes Back which was a masterpiece. Finally came Return of the Jedi which was ok, but it was a necessary film as it brought the tale to a conclusion.

No other films needed to be made, nor are any of them, save for Rogue One, particularly good.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem with the sequels is that they're so obviously just cash grabs with no real attention or care put into the story. Obviously all movies are made for the goal of making money, but if the movie is at least well made and enjoyable then both sides get what they want. Disney paid a giant price for Star Wars and wanted to make their money back. The movies would make a ton of money no matter what, simply because it's Star Wars, but what they really wanted was to make bank off of toys and other non-film stuff like that.

Disney wanted to draw in as many people as possible so they took out the ol' demographic checklist...
White males are the biggest part of the Star Wars fanbase, simply from the original trilogy and just sci-fi in general, so that's obviously a "check".
Female? Rey. Check.
Lets jam the big chick from GoT in some shiny armor, for promotional purposes and because it'll make a cool action figure, but put her in a helmet and give her nothing to do in the actual movie. Double check.
Black? Fin. Check
Hispanic? Poe. Check

If this was just how it ended up, organically, without their ulterior motives behind it, then that would've been perfectly fine. I don't care if the main character is a gay black female amputee, so long as the movies good and it makes sense. If these were well written characters, who each really had a place/role in the story, then there would be no problem. But instead they just wanted to be able to go on and on about how "diverse" and "inclusive" they were, as if that was the main goal of it all. They wanted to draw in the attention of as many people as possible, they knew that the woke media would eat this stuff up and go nuts over the movie (no matter how good or bad it was, simply to push this message), and they hoped as many kids as possible would see themselves in these characters and want the toys, the same way kids wanted to be Luke or Han. Disney doesn't give a shit past that, they just want the money and PR.

So they pooped out a couple weak movies that feel more like non-canon fan films than real Star Wars movies. They're still watchable, purely for the visuals, but past that there's not much there. It also didn't help that they made sure the two most popular characters from the original movies were killed off. A nice "f*** you" to the core fanbase of the franchise.

Just to prove the point: they made Rogue One, did the same checklist garbage, but actually produced a decent movie... so it's not really a big deal. It's still stupid to do it and have that be a focus, but more tolerable if they can actually execute and give the fans a good movie. The hate these movies have received is because they didn't make good movies, but they refuse to accept that and instead want to make excuses.

And it's not these actors/actresses fault either. It's absolutely ridiculous that they've received any hate over it when it's not their fault at all. I don't have problems with any of them for their performances and I actually think all of them did a pretty good job with what they were given. I've even said I think the movies would have been better if the Fin character was gone completely (or at least a far smaller character, like a C3PO comic relief sized role) and replaced by Poe.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Yep. People hated "Solo" because it was complete crap. Having said that, I have only watched it once and will give it another try. I did think it picked up at the very, very end, but not nearly enough to salvage much of anything.
It was just a movie. It wasn't particularly interesting, nor was it well written and half the actors seemed to just be mailing it in. It's just an excuse to make money at this point. Basically everything after the original 3 films is just The Godfather 3, over and over again.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep. People hated "Solo" because it was complete crap. Having said that, I have only watched it once and will give it another try. I did think it picked up at the very, very end, but not nearly enough to salvage much of anything.
My thoughts on Solo were basically that if it were just a random Star Wars movie, not supposed to be Han Solo, it would have been better.

But both the actor and character were NOTHING like Han so it was just off-putting the entire time...

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Yep. I thought it was interesting because it took risks and broke the mold.

TFA is an Abrams special; the "tribute" to a movie or series that doesn't do anything new or interesting. I guess that's fine for starting out a trilogy, but I have little hope in the guy closing it out.

It’s always said that Abrams did a fine job for starting out. I disagree.

Even younger fans know Star Wars. The story didn’t need a retelling. When I learned that the new trilogy would be a continuation of the Skywalker saga, I was disappointed. The first 6 movies wrapped up that family history.

Abrams returned to the source material because it was safe and that’s what sells the most merch.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa

They approached him twice with the tv show to play Tony & then Ralphie but he turned them down.

I believe it was like 28 actors/actress that were in Goodfellas that went on to be in The Sopranos too.

OMG is this real life? Finally!

Sopranos is the best TV show of all time. Looking forward to it, even if it will never recapture the magic (obviously).

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I think my biggest problems with the sequels is that it seems practically everything that Luke and company achieved was goddamned worthless from the get-go. If you want the return of the Empire you really need to wait a whole trilogy to not cheapen everything that happened just a few freaking years before or it shows that all your beloved heroes are a bunch of incompetent morons. If the Rebels are still rebels after killing the Emperor and there's no new Galactic Senate, then what was the goddamned point of anything they did? The books waited for ages to introduce another big bad like the Empire and had the heroes chasing down remaining Imperial despots and trying to recruit new planets to the Alliance in the meantime.

And yes, Grand Admiral Thrawn was awesome.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Pretty much everything after ROTJ can be criticized in some way. I may be on an island but I really had very little to complain about in Rogue One.

As a Star Wars fan, I'm glad to watch any that come out though. On the upside, all of them had at least a few positives in them.

I'm sure it would be scrutinized as he's a beloved character, but I'm hoping we see a Boba Fett movie soon.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I think my biggest problems with the sequels is that it seems practically everything that Luke and company achieved was goddamned worthless from the get-go. If you want the return of the Empire you really need to wait a whole trilogy to not cheapen everything that happened just a few freaking years before or it shows that all your beloved heroes are a bunch of incompetent morons. If the Rebels are still rebels after killing the Emperor and there's no new Galactic Senate, then what was the goddamned point of anything they did? The books waited for ages to introduce another big bad like the Empire and had the heroes chasing down remaining Imperial despots and trying to recruit new planets to the Alliance in the meantime.

And yes, Grand Admiral Thrawn was awesome.

Great post.

Reactions: Amorgus

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
For those who don't know him, he doesn't look like "cool" like Vader or Fett, but he's an amazing character and a tactical genius.

IMG_0405.JPG

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Star Wars original story was interesting and new and was perfect for what it was when it came out - i’m a massive fan of what it was. But it’s done. Rogue One was probably the closest thing to something that seemed worthwhile to put on the screen (not that it was that great).

What’s the point now? Starting with the prequels and moving into the latest trilogy it has nothing new or fresh to say. It’s just things happening in the Star Wars universe to sell toys.

As far as Star Trek goes, I haven’t been watching Discovery but for the most part they continued to tell super compelling and interesting stories with interesting characters throughout 4/5 separate series. Not every movie was good but a lot of them were. On the other hand Star Wars was never a cerebral franchise where you can continue to tell clever stories. It’s much more of a basic adventure saga which is fine, but once you do all these themes once there’s not much left other than rehash. The core of what is Star Wars doesn’t lend itself to continued exploration IMO

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Star Trek is solid. Not a fan boy but it deserves props. What it lacks in "wow" it makes up for in intelligence.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Star Trek II is a flat out great movie. It also isn't about adventuretime in space like so many of the series that came after, it's actually about growing old and how we deal with it.

Definitely up there with my favorite movies ever. Definitely the best Star Trek movie and honestly, I like it more than any Star Wars movie.

The end still makes me cry.

On that note, when Nimoy died, it one of the first times I can remember crying from a celebrity death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad