GDT: Cesko vs Kanada

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
First in the pool on the line. Both of us have avoided Sweden in Quarters but the US loom large. Top 2 should avoid them. Canada cannot finish worse than 2nd.

Canada has looked great and the defending champs are worthy of their 1 seed and gold favorite status.

Czechs have been much better than expected as they have yet to lose in regulation. Despite a weaker D they have been working well as a team and bend but have not really broken yet.

Big news is that the Czechs will have Pastrnak, Zacha and Necas in their lineup for this. Lots of rumours of where they will be in the lineup but I'd expect to see a lot of them. Kampf is back from injury as well and he does a lot of heavy lifting for us. Will it lift us up or kill chemistry?

I expect a close game (something I don't always type before Canada games). Both nations want first. Win Tuesday and maybe Thursday is more pleasant.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Kanada....................nice touch CB!!

I wouldn't say we've played great up to this point but yesterday was a big step forward as it was our most consistent performance over a legit title contender and we got some life going finally on our p.p. Sure would like to get Bedard going, he has to be a big part of this team.

As for the Czechs i've mostly liked what I have seen from them so far. as all Czech fans knew going in scoring was going to have to be squeezed out but they have managed to score enough to win games so far and now some serious talent stepping into the lineup. I've liked the heart of this team so far also but I never expected anything less from them playing at home.

Should be a real good game, I think the Czechs have a little more to play for in this game ...............will that be the difference?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Kanada....................nice touch CB!!

I wouldn't say we've played great up to this point but yesterday was a big step forward as it was our most consistent performance over a legit title contender and we got some life going finally on our p.p. Sure would like to get Bedard going, he has to be a big part of this team.

As for the Czechs i've mostly liked what I have seen from them so far. as all Czech fans knew going in scoring was going to have to be squeezed out but they have managed to score enough to win games so far and now some serious talent stepping into the lineup. I've liked the heart of this team so far also but I never expected anything less from them playing at home.

Should be a real good game, I think the Czechs have a little more to play for in this game ...............will that be the difference?
Canada has very little to play for.. as far as I can tell, they can't get US or Sweden and have a favorable quarter.

So watch them be all relaxed, no pressure and just demolish us 6-0 like it's a U20 game.lol Canada has 19 players with at least 2 points.lol That is amazing depth.

Your Whitehorse workhorse is killing it!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada has very little to play for.. as far as I can tell, they can't get US or Sweden and have a favorable quarter.

So watch them be all relaxed, no pressure and just demolish us 6-0 like it's a U20 game.lol Canada has 19 players with at least 2 points.lol That is amazing depth.

Your Whitehorse workhorse is killing it!
I wonder how well Pasta Zacha and Necas fit in first game? sometimes the Fly overs don't work out so well, especially in their first game with the team. Still I would figure necas and pasta have an impact right away especially on the p.p.

This will be a good game tomorrow, maybe even great.

Reactions: NyQuil and Czechboy

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I liked the interview with Tavares on idnes.cz where he says that the fans are so much louder and more passionate than in North America that it has been an entirely different experience for him playing in Prague and he has loved it.

Like a proper Canadian pro, he said he will enjoy the passion of the fans when they cheer for the Czechs in the game against Canada.

Unsurprisingly, the top players will just relish the atmosphere rather than let it get to them (plus the Czech crowd is not hostile at all - just supporting their team without hating the other team; it’s not like playing soccer against Turkey in Istanbul😀).

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Wtf is "Cesko vs Kanada". Only an idiot would write that.
Only an idiot would make the comment you just made. “Cesko” is “Czechia” in Czech and “Kanada” is the Czech spelling of “Canada”, so all he did was use the Czech language terms for both countries. Why is that a problem for you? Your weirdly aggressive post is just bizarre.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
"Cesko" is not a real word. If you're going to use the Czech language, use it properly.
What a weird thing to say. If you are Czech, you’re just being an idiot. If you are foreign, you’re definitely an idiot. For various reasons (for the non-Czechs here), some people from the Czech Republic do not like “Cesko”, but it is a real word. Česko – Wikipedie
And I am obviously Czech.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Česko is a real word. Cesko isn't.
So we are all obliged to use a háček in an International Hockey Board now? So i guess if if I write “Pastrnak” that is completely unacceptable? Because I don’t bother to switch to a Czech keyboard for it?

For what it’s worth, it feels much more natural to me to chant “Chechy!” at hockey or football (soccer) games than “Cesko”, but I am not Moravian, so… (apologies if this last bit is meaningless to non-Czechs). I am old enough to have chanted “CSR do toho!”, but that’s 30 years ago.

Last edited:

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Just realised that the Czechs have conceded the fewest goals of all teams in either Group A or B, except Sweden. I really had not expected that before the tournament! Of course, that may be because we have not played Canada yet..:) Really looking forward to the game. Although it feels weird that if we win in regulation, we will end up first but if we WIN in OT we almost definitely end up third.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Oh here we go, that is going to be an exciting game between two very good team, I hope Canada wins but I got to give the edge to Czechia they will have the energy of the crowd on their side, its gonna be wild, I love the Czech fans jumping and singing beautiful!!!

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Oh here we go, that is going to be an exciting game between two very good team, I hope Canada wins but I got to give the edge to Czechia they will have the energy of the crowd on their side, its gonna be wild, I love the Czech fans jumping and singing beautiful!!!
I am giving the edge to Canada. I am glad that we have played well enough up to now to still have first place to play for in the final game of the round robin - our team has exceeded my expectations - but against Canada it will be very, very tough. Canada has already had its moment of weakness - third period against Austria - and I now expect them to be fully concentrated. That said, I think we are not without chance. But Canada is clear favourite.

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
Only an idiot would make the comment you just made. “Cesko” is “Czechia” in Czech and “Kanada” is the Czech spelling of “Canada”, so all he did was use the Czech language terms for both countries. Why is that a problem for you? Your weirdly aggressive post is just bizarre.
I'm Canadian and I don't have a problem with Kanada. It got a chuckle out of me. According to the myth that was the native word for village for which Canada was named. There is a suburb of Ottawa called Kanata for that reason.

As for Cesko, the Czechs are entitled to be called whatever they choose. Just settle on something. Don't change it.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I'm Canadian and I don't have a problem with Kanada. It got a chuckle out of me. According to the myth that was the native word for village for which Canada was named. There is a suburb of Ottawa called Kanata for that reason.

As for Cesko, the Czechs are entitled to be called whatever they choose. Just settle on something. Don't change it.
That’s very interesting, I had wondered where the name “Canada” originated, but of course it makes sense that it would be based on a word from a language of its original inhabitants.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Just realised that the Czechs have conceded the fewest goals of all teams in either Group A or B, except Sweden. I really had not expected that before the tournament! Of course, that may be because we have not played Canada yet..:) Really looking forward to the game. Although it feels weird that if we win in regulation, we will end up first but if we WIN in OT we almost definitely end up third.
I would definitely not underestimate Finland. They will almost certainly have to get at least one point and I have no doubt that they still have the power to do so. They haven't done well so far, they struggled again yesterday, but they won the match in the end and that certainly gave them a lot of mental encouragement. That way they can help us in the final ranking.

Reactions: Czechboy

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I would definitely not underestimate Finland. They will almost certainly have to get at least one point and I have no doubt that they still have the power to do so. They haven't done well so far, they struggled again yesterday, but they won the match in the end and that certainly gave them a lot of mental encouragement. That way they can help us in the final ranking.
I agree with all that. But who knows? It’s completely futile to speculate (yet I find it impossible not to!).

There is no easy quarterfinal pairing anyway. I’d rather not play the US, I know we won’t play Sweden, Germany has a very strong team with some standout individuals and Slovakia on their day Dan beat anybody (though we do beat them much more often than not).

So I would prefer playing Slovakia over Germany over the US, fully aware that all three would have a decent chance to beat us. But the probability of that happening does change, depending on the team.

Reactions: Goodman68

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
"The country formerly known as Czech Republic"

To be clear, it is still officially the Czech Republic. Czechia was just added as an acceptable short form. For a few years there it really looked hopeful that it just wouldn't catch on. Then Google changed their maps and the rest of the world unfortunately fell into line :(

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
To be clear, it is still officially the Czech Republic. Czechia was just added as an acceptable short form. For a few years there it really looked hopeful that it just wouldn't catch on. Then Google changed their maps and the rest of the world unfortunately fell into line :(
It is only recent in English. In German, it has officially been called “Tschechien” (as opposed to “Tschechische Republik”) since 1993. same in various other languages. So it sounds weird to us now (and not good, it is like Chechnya), but that is because we are not used to it. It is simply a translation, not a new name. It’s just that the Czech government for reasons unknown (and former 🤮president🤮Zeman) started to push “Czechia” in the English speaking world. Legally nothing changes.

No need getting into the artificial nature of “Cesko” here - hardly can call it “Cechy”, can we? Or even worse, “Cechy a Morava”, which name only existed once in our history and we did not like it. It’s a topic that makes no sense to the non-Czech posters here so maybe we’ll just leave it? (Ceskomoravistan? But what about Slezko?)

Let’s focus on Česko doing the best we can today against Canada!

(Btw I will never call it “Czechia” without throwing up in my mouth a little. I might have done it on this board once or twice accidentally - if I did, you are free to shoot me, just remember I live in Japan, the games usually start between 11:20pm and 3:20am JST and I therefore often post in the middle of the night when I am drunk and tired)

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean and jj cale

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It is only recent in English. In German, it has officially been called “Tschechien” (as opposed to “Tschechische Republik”) since 1993. same in various other languages. So it sounds weird to us now (and not good, it is like Chechnya), but that is because we are not used to it. It is simply a translation, not a new name. It’s just that the Czech government for reasons unknown (and former 🤮president🤮Zeman) started to push “Czechia” in the English speaking world. Legally nothing changes.

No need getting into the artificial nature of “Cesko” here - hardly can call it “Cechy”, can we? Or even worse, “Cechy a Morava”, which name only existed once in our history and we did not like it. It’s a topic that makes no sense to the non-Czech posters here so maybe we’ll just leave it? (Ceskomoravistan? But what about Slezko?)

Let’s focus on Česko doing the best we can today against Canada!

(Btw I will never call it “Czechia” without throwing up in my mouth a little. I might have done it on this board once or twice accidentally - if I did, you are free to shoot me, just remember I live in Japan, the games usually start between 11:20pm and 3:20am JST and I therefore often post in the middle of the night when I am drunk and tired)

I mean, sure. In Russian it is also called Czechia (wow, what a coincidence that was the word Zeman was pushing).

Česko also seemed weird for a while, but I remember talking to some people from Silesia and Moravia who seemed quite satisfied with it as a compromise solution, so I decided not to resist and today I do endeavour to use it as a way to avoid referring to the whole country as Čechy, which is the natural instinct :D

As for today's game, I've been looking forward to this moment all tournament and all the stars are aligning for this game. Let's hope it's as good as it promises to be. Going to overtime would be worth the nerves imo. A Canada blowout would be a huge let-down.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I mean, sure. In Russian it is also called Czechia (wow, what a coincidence that was the word Zeman was pushing).

Česko also seemed weird for a while, but I remember talking to some people from Silesia and Moravia who seemed quite satisfied with it as a compromise solution, so I decided not to resist and today I do endeavour to use it as a way to avoid referring to the whole country as Čechy, which is the natural instinct :D

As for today's game, I've been looking forward to this moment all tournament and all the stars are aligning for this game. Let's hope it's as good as it promises to be. Going to overtime would be worth the nerves imo. A Canada blowout would be a huge let-down.
Yeah, for me it also comes much, MUCH more naturally to chant “Čechy do toho!”. But then again, I am from Prague. I would be interested to hear what our favourite poster on this board from Brno thinks about this… Why not go back to the very acceptable “Češi do toho!”?

Going to overtime (win or lose) for the purposes of the quarter finals is the same as losing in a blowout. I am really hoping for a regulation win. But anything can happen, including Canada winning by a huge margin. So baring a Czech win in regulation, the only relevance of the result is psychological, and obviously it would be better for the team to keep it close, even if we were to lose.

The Czech defence has played responsibly and to their abilities so far. So no complaints there. But the individuals are just not that brilliant, so anything can happen. This is not a criticism btw - it’s ludicrous to complain about players not being someone else. I will complain if they don’t play to their abilities or don’t work hard enough. But if they were to lose because some Canadian plays ended up being brilliant and beyond their skills to defend, I don’t think we should be d***s about it. It would be like roasting a soccer player because he is not Messi. Not a lot they can do about it.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Big day for the Czechs...

I like to call it avoid the US in the quarters day!

2 scenarios do that.

1. we beat Canada clean in regulation
2. Finns beat Swiss clean in regulation

Those aren't insane odds to me. I'm not saying either is a sure thing but one of those 2 things could happen... maybe.lol

Ooops! GBR beat Austria.. didn't see that coming.

Ok, scenario 2 is now Latvia beats the US.

Let's face it, we are facing the US.lol

Also, a very exciting day because the Czechs get to see some of their heroes in the lineup.. Pasta, Necas and Zacha. It's a big change and a good problem to have but it's still a potential chemistry problem. Time will tell.. good luck Canada.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad