OT: 66th Obsequious Banter Thread: Get your kicks in thread 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Guys, i think Hakstol is at Public Us (coffee shop) in Las Vegas. I would say i'm 90% certain. Anybody know if he happens to be in Vegas.

Its a guy that resembles him and is wearing USA hockey stuff

Casually comment on how fast and skilled Myers and Sanheim are. If he scoffs, dump a hot coffee on his head.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I’m very indifferent on that show. I don’t necessarily like it, but I don’t hate it, and I’ve invested too much time in it to stop.
There are too many easily fixed things that go ignored, and too many plot hole skips.
What they are I’m not sure at the moment lol. I got a nice little head cold I’m in a fog.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
TLJ isn't nearly as bad as people claim.

It's noteworthy and hilarious that a lot of the hate was driven by Russian troll farms seeking to deepen division.

I liked it better than TFA, which was a low effort rehashing. I felt that Johnson didn’t have the skill or maybe attention span to direct an epic story, but he takes some risks that are interesting.

The magic of Star Wars is gone for me after watching TFA. Not really excited for planned installments unless someone willing to take risks heads a project.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Doing online classes to get my GED and let me just say that its so obvious how many problems in the West are due to horrible horrible pedagogy.

What isnt busywork is simply gross historical inaccuracy and misrepresentation.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I liked it better than TFA, which was a low effort rehashing. I felt that Johnson didn’t have the skill or maybe attention span to direct an epic story, but he takes some risks that are interesting.

The magic of Star Wars is gone for me after watching TFA. Not really excited for planned installments unless someone willing to take risks heads a project.

Yep. I thought it was interesting because it took risks and broke the mold.

TFA is an Abrams special; the "tribute" to a movie or series that doesn't do anything new or interesting. I guess that's fine for starting out a trilogy, but I have little hope in the guy closing it out.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
Yep. I thought it was interesting because it took risks and broke the mold.

TFA is an Abrams special; the "tribute" to a movie or series that doesn't do anything new or interesting. I guess that's fine for starting out a trilogy, but I have little hope in the guy closing it out.
Im late to the convo so excuse me if Ive misunderstood but what "risks" did any of these new SW films make?
What "molds" did it break?

Casting a black stormtrooper, having him front and center in ALL the promotional materials, only to have his actual use in the story reduced to comic relief and unfulfilling romantic sidequests?

Casting a strong female lead with no backstory, no forshadowing or anything really to make that mystery compelling and then making her the most powerful being in the story just 'cuz....
She's basically One Punch Man without any of the comedy or pathos

Reactions: BiggE

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Im late to the convo so excuse me if Ive misunderstood but what "risks" did any of these new SW films make?

Casting a black stormtrooper, having him front and center in ALL the promotional materials, only to have his actual use in the story reduced to comic relief and unfulfilling romantic sidequests?

Casting a strong female lead with no backstory, no forshadowing or anything really to make that mystery compelling and then making her the most powerful being in the story just 'cuz....

Second season in April!

Reactions: Lotusflower

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

So....Luke Skywalker all over again.

They're clearly risks as they've been so controversial.

Finn's role isn't reduced. He is the same degree of useful as he was in the first movie. What does his race matter?

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
So....Luke Skywalker all over again.
Luke isnt a Mary Sue like Rey.
Luke only became powerful in the force after being trained directly by 2 legendary masters and then suffering several horrible failures/defeats along the way.
When he finally flexes in ROTJ its the culmination of hours of character development prior.
And even then the most powerful character in the original trilogy is still Anakin/Vader who's final act fulfills the prophecy.

Rey defeats the Sith Lord Kilo Ren in pitched combat using force powers she just learned about existed an hour's runtime earlier.
In the 2nd one they beat Snoke easily and then just move on as if nothing happened.
No payoff. No development.

They're clearly risks as they've been so controversial.
Finn's role isn't reduced. He is the same degree of useful as he was in the first movie. What does his race matter?
Youre right. My point was that the movie was sold as this inclusive, diverse world which is what was supposed to separate it from past films that were overwhelmingly white male driven.
This is what I assumed you were talking about when you referred to risks.
Yet, despite having Finn front and center as if say "look at how important this is to us," the black character is reduced to comic relief and shoehorned into a romantic sideplot that adds nothing.
Its not inclusive at all. Its pandering/tokenism at best and at worst it borders on minstrel ****.
It makes me mad because Boyega is a great actor and he couldnt possibly turn down the lead in SW,

but damn. That movie is ***.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Luke isnt a Mary Sue like Rey.
Luke only became powerful in the force after being trained directly by 2 legendary masters and then suffering several horrible failures/defeats along the way.
When he finally flexes in ROTJ its the culmination of hours of character development prior.
And even then the most powerful character in the original trilogy is still Anakin/Vader who's final act fulfills the prophecy.

Rey defeats the Sith Lord Kilo Ren in pitched combat using force powers she just learned about existed an hour's runtime earlier.
In the 2nd one they beat Snoke easily and then just move on as if nothing happened.
No payoff. No development.

Youre right. My point was that the movie was sold as this inclusive, diverse world which is what was supposed to separate it from past films that were overwhelmingly white male driven.
This is what I assumed you were talking about when you referred to risks.
Yet, despite having Finn front and center as if say "look at how important this is to us," the black character is reduced to comic relief and shoehorned into a romantic sideplot that adds nothing.
Its not inclusive at all. Its pandering/tokenism at best and at worst it borders on minstrel ****.
It makes me mad because Boyega is a great actor and he couldnt possibly turn down the lead in SW,

but damn. That movie is ***.

LOL.

If Luke were a female he'd be the very definition of a Mary Sue. His training can be measured in minutes.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Star Wars sucks.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad