News Article: 6 Alternate Captains

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
We just don't have a vocal guy to take control. Kreider is not captain material no matter what some of you might say.

Reactions: leetch99

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Odd, considering its all they talked about in the offseason and how important it was.

The conversation wasn't brought up by the fans or media either - it was something Drury and Gallant "wanted".

You couldn't be more on point. This was a total shame.

And BTW, it is official. We will not have a captain on opening night.

Why open your big mouth about this if you are not going to follow through. What was the point of this? If anything, it damaged our look on the organization to do this incredibly stupid move. Both Drury and Gallant said it would happen. That they would bet on it. And now this. Would it have been a crime to pick a captain who is not Mark Messier? Or Captain Callahan? We have had Captains that weren't them. What was the big deal in not picking Mika after signing long term? Is he not a professional off the ice? Does he not lead by example playing a complete game at a very high level. You ask me this is insane.

Now maybe the players really don't give a hoot if they have a captain or not. But those who were in consideration for the job,... now know that management doesn't feel they are qualified. They should have just kept their mouths shut, and not put this in the back of their minds.

This episode of "Oh you can bet there will be a Captain on opening night" benefitted no one.

I'll bet Dolan had a hand in this fiasco.

Last edited:

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
We just don't have a vocal guy to take control. Kreider is not captain material no matter what some of you might say.

Laf seems like he has swagger. He's just too young. Hopefully this is just biding time until we name him. If they name Mika or Kreider, they really can't remove it because it would be way too dramatic. Probably giving the coach and Fox and Laf some more time to grow as leaders before giving it to one of them.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
So annoying. Just name a captain.
Pretty obvious they want Lafreniere and or Fox long term, but don’t want the added responsibility or pressure that comes with the job given to either at this point in time.
I’m fine with it. Goodrow is a vet cup winner knows what it takes, Zibby/kreider/panarin/strome/trouba are all that 1st core we talk about in the rangers timeframe before fox/LaF/kakko/Schneider/ etc become the grizzled vets.
I’m all for the paramilitary style. One supreme leader at the top who sets the tone, shoulders the burden, and demands the success. Like the mafia, instead of this United Nations bs.
Jimmy Altieri probably said it best in the 1st season of the sopranos....... ‘ the old guys set this up as a paramilitary organization, we need one leader at the top, not the f***in Dave Clark 5”.... Priceless.
But getting a leader/Captain like Messier is very hard to find.

Last edited:
Reactions: yrrebbor

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is it possible they want to wait an extra day for the home opener to make a surprise announcement during intros?
Was just thinking they’d make a dramatic “reveal” on the first team intros before the home opener. This announcement doesn’t preclude that, I think.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Wonder what the farthest a team without a proper captain has made it?

The last 2 teams to make it to the Cup without a captain were the Rangers in 2014 and the Knights in 2018, coached by our now coach Gallant. Interesting, but also, both teams lost. Haha

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Six?

49908058-E0B8-498F-8CFD-BF3C9B22FF51.jpeg

*Alternate Captain, not Arthur King.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Pretty obvious they want Lafreniere and or Fox long term, but don’t want the added responsibility or pressure that comes with the job given to either at this point in time.
I’m fine with it. Goodrow is a vet cup winner knows what it takes, Zibby/kreider/panarin/strome/trouba are all that 1st core we talk about in the rangers timeframe before fox/LaF/kakko/Schneider/ etc become the grizzled vets.
I’m all for the paramilitary style. One supreme leader at the top who sets the tone, shoulders the burden, and demands the success. Like the mafia, instead of this United Nations bs.
Jimmy Altieri probably said it best in the 1st season of the sopranos....... ‘ the old guys set this up as a paramilitary organization, we need one leader at the top, not the f***in Dave Clark 5”.... Priceless.
But getting a leader/Captain like Messier is very hard to find.

I think if Fox was the long term plan, he'd have an A now.

I'm pretty surprised that neither Fox nor Lindgren got a letter, actually.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think if Fox was the long term plan, he'd have an A now.

I'm pretty surprised that neither Fox nor Lindgren got a letter, actually.[/QUOTE
Agree on Lindgren. But if fits more in that age range with the so called ” next wave” I guess more so then the old guard of vets

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I actually prefer this. Hopefully be the end of the season, there is little doubt that it's Lafreniere's team.
I think he is a long ways away from that status. Lafreniere is no Crosby by any stretch of the imagination IMO. Maybe...in 2 more years he will show that leadership quality but as of now...it's not there yet . That's how I see it . It likely will be Fox's C when he signs the next deal .

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You couldn't be more on point. This was a total shame.

And BTW, it is official. We will not have a captain on opening night.

Why open your big mouth about this if you are not going to follow through. What was the point of this? If anything, it damaged our look on the organization to do this incredibly stupid move. Both Drury and Gallant said it would happen. That they would bet on it. And now this. Would it have been a crime to pick a captain who is not Mark Messier? Or Captain Callahan? We have had Captains that weren't them. What was the big deal in not picking Mika after signing long term? Is he not a professional off the ice? Does he not lead by example playing a complete game at a very high level. You ask me this is insane.

Now maybe the players really don't give a hoot if they have a captain or not. But those who were in consideration for the job,... now know that management doesn't feel they are qualified. They should have just kept their mouths shut, and not put this in the back of their minds.

This episode of "Oh you can bet there will be a Captain on opening night" benefitted no one.

I'll bet Dolan had a hand in this fiasco.
Understanding your sentiment and frustration (I feel it as well) but, I need to point out that:

A) NYR Captains aren't just thrown around... there's a lot there... some serious shoes to fill (some not so much)

and

B) Things change. Rigidity in anything is a recipe for disaster. Sports more so (ask AV)

If there isn't (wasn't) a CLEAR captain then I don't see the issue here.

Someone WILL claim it soon enough. Most pro athletes are type A...

Put 4 type A's in a room and it doesn't take long for the alpha to emerge.

Reactions: ohbaby

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
What if they just pull a fast one and opening night one of those A's is actually announced as Captain just to mess with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad