News Article: 6 Alternate Captains

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
People are so angry over a lack of captain forgetting its recent history.

Jagr went to the KHL.
Drury was paid #1C to produce #3C play
Callahan got an ego and wanted more money
McD wasn't the same Quality player with the burden.

But hey everyone thinks the C means the Messier guarantee.

Reactions: haveandare

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I would say Fox will get it next year but he isnt even one of the SIX A's. Laffy wont be ready either if preseason form is anything close to what he'll play like this season.

McKegg it is

Reactions: yrrebbor

Joe Ranger Fan 1960

Jan 25, 2021
Jersey
Big mistake. Nice of the new coach to break his first promise to fans. Teams don't win championships without a clearly defined hierarchy whereby the plebes know where to air grievances and confide minor injuries and personal concerns. This is particularly obvious in the NHL. The Rangers don't have a captain: It's a self-fulfilling prophecy of impending demise.

Reactions: yrrebbor and ohbaby

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
It's a funny one where it's really not a big deal at all (and it's not), but because it's not it also shouldn't be a big deal to just pick one of the six and name them captain.

I do always wonder how much it has to do with the media, and players saying that they are uncomfortable with having to face all the questions. If there's no captain you can just rotate the responsibility of fronting the interviews

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Understanding your sentiment and frustration (I feel it as well) but, I need to point out that:

NYR Captains aren't just thrown around... there's a lot there... some serious shoes to fill (some not so much)

If there isn't (wasn't) a CLEAR captain then I don't see the issue here.
I respectfully have a difference of opinion. While I do agree, and have mentioned before, NY has been spoiled with having great captains and that they are some serious shoes to fill. But we have had many captains not named Mark Messier. And besides, no one will ever fill his shoes. So let's keep this in perspective.

And two,... The issue here is that they practically guaranteed there will be a captain this year. And as someone mentioned,.. this wasn't drummed up by the fans or the media, it was something they wanted. So if there wasn't a clear choice, then why the hubbub all summer long? Drury must have had someone in mind for the job. After all, we haven't had one for a while and were fine with not having one. So what has changed this year for him to stick his neck out? And why the turnaround?

This episode has created many more questions instead of simply making a choice. Everyone has agreed all summer long, and in training camp,... that we have good group of leaders on this team to have chosen from.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
images

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Honestly feel like they were going to give it to Zib after the extension, which is why it took so long, but he straight up declined or pointed at Kreider or something

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I respectfully have a difference of opinion. While I do agree, and have mentioned before, NY has been spoiled with having great captains and that they are some serious shoes to fill. But we have had many captains not named Mark Messier. And besides, no one will ever fill his shoes. So let's keep this in perspective.

And two,... The issue here is that they practically guaranteed there will be a captain this year. And as someone mentioned,.. this wasn't drummed up by the fans or the media, it was something they wanted. So if there wasn't a clear choice, then why the hubbub all summer long? Drury must have had someone in mind for the job. After all, we haven't had one for a while and were fine with not having one. So what has changed this year for him to stick his neck out? And why the turnaround?

This episode has created many more questions instead of simply making a choice. Everyone has agreed all summer long, and in training camp,... that we have good group of leaders on this team to have chosen from.
OK. Cool. I disagree also... citing my "Things change and rigidity is death"

Neither you nor I are privy to that locker room.

McD to me was NEVER the captain... Cally... ehhhh ok. It was Hank. Always was.

I think that you do MORE damage by giving it to Fox or Laf when not ready... you do M<ORE damage by handing it to Panarin who's openly said 'I don't want it'... Mika? I suspect he's in the Bread mold and doesn't really want it.

Trouba? Kreider? Maybe neither are bad... but they might not be here long, or/and if you pin it on one, how does that make the other react?

Goodrow??? Reaves? Haven't played one game for us yet. NO WAY!

I say, if there's no CLEAR captain... I'm fine w none. 6 A's is ridic but maybe it's all about "all for one and one for all" etc

I dunno.

Reactions: ohbaby

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I agree with not naming a captain right now. Of the team members who were discussed, dont really like any of them right now in that role.

Kreider -- he's a good guy and a good vet. But when I hear him talk he has the personality of a yoga guru. I love that he doesnt fit the mold of a standard boring pro hockey player but he's Bizarro Phil Jackson and not sure he's the right captain. Also there's the issue of him becoming a trade target in 2 years. NOt sure he's a part of the long term core.

Trouba -- again I think he has a good chance of being supplanted by younger D within a few years. Giving him the C is likely puts too much importance on his position with the team. But perhaps he's the closest natural fit maybe.

Zib/Panarin/Fox - soft spoken. Better off leading by example like Leetch.

Goodrow - just got here.

Reaves - just got here. Likely only here for 2 years.

Strome - Likely a good choice. But likely only here for 1-2 years. And he doesn't always physically engage which makes me like him less a choice.

Laf -- too soon at best. He needs to focus on becoming a consistent pro who is always engaged.

Kakko - likely has no desire to be captain. And he's got too much to prove still. That said, his stoic no nonsense personality is an interesting fit as a leader.

So yeah, As instead of a C is likely the right choice. I think Gallant is showing good judgment again.

Reactions: Wtp99

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

How can you make a career out of covering sports and peg the lack of a captain announcement on the Rangers management?

Mark Giordano was named captain because he’s an actual leader that has been captain before, something nobody on the Rangers can claim. It has nothing to do with organizational competence - the only people that feel this way are the ones in denial that we don’t have a leader.

What a group of idiots our beat writers are.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Goodrow? The newcomer? Seems odd. So does Strome. Just go with three As if you don’t want to name a C.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think this team needs to get over it. They're looking for Messier. Messier retired. It's a different game now. Most captains nowadays are soft-spoken cats who lead by example.

I also think they blame McDonagh's decline on the captaincy. It's stupid. He wears a letter for Tampa and Stamkos is hurt half the time. He was a captain in college. He was a PPG superstar in high school. All of a sudden he can't handle the spotlight?

I hate to go down this road, but McDonagh "declined" in New York because he had a solid 2.5 years of his exclusive defense partner not being an NHL player. In sociology, that's what we call an intervening variable.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
No big deal imo. Gallant knows a hell of a lot more about both this group of guys and the makings of a good locker room than any of us do. If he and the players are all good with 6 A’s that’s fine by me.
By his own admission, he doesn't know these players and is still getting to know them. Both he & Drury stated they want a captain.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Gallant pretty much said in a couple pressers that he doesn't care if there's a captain or not, and that Drury has been the driving influence behind getting one named.

Reactions: JCProdigy

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Devils fan here - if theres any consolation, I like the hypothetical many have had of waiting for Lafreniere to take it

While I personally foresee Kakko having a better season, I think Alexis is exactly the type of player I want as a captain; and to that I mean his attitude and maturity, not his playstyle or stats

He is to you what Nico Hischier is to my Devils, and by that I mean a young stud whos captain at a young age; and its great for their growth I think (Nico has matured a lot since his captaincy and thats a short time frame). Will only help Alexis' mental and game

If they end up going another route well then shit I tried

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad