News Article: 6 Alternate Captains

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Can’t wait until we have another “Kreider vs, X for captain” thread in two months after he sounds passionate in a post-game interview.

We continue to be told, right to our faces, that this team doesn’t have a true leader right now. And shockingly we always seem to ignore it.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Such a pansy ass "non move". How's that make the other 12 feel?

Why not just make all 18 skaters have an "A"?

Hell for that matter...........Why not change the team name to the New York Alternate's?
LOL! That has a nice ring to it.

I said earlier if Mika doesn't get the "C' then one shouldn't be chosen. He is the clear choice. He wears his heart on his sleeve every shift. I don't care if he is the quiet type. No one is more respected in the locker room. No one can score 5 goals in a game. He tied a NHL record with 6 points in one period last year. He leads by example, playing a complete 200 foot game. If someone else was named captain, it would be a slap in the face. Unless he came out and said he didn't want it, and that hasn't happened.

Reactions: Larrybiv

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don’t care cause it doesn’t really matter but I do hope they find new creative ways to not name a captain going forward lol.
Next season they will have a press conference to announce the one player who isn't a captain, every other player on the team is an alternate.

The season after that, Sam Rosen is named captain. An angry Giannone quits as a result.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
LOL! That has a nice ring to it.

I said earlier if Mika doesn't get the "C' then one shouldn't be chosen. He is the clear choice. He wears his heart on his sleeve every shift. I don't care if he is the quiet type. No one is more respected in the locker room. No one can score 5 goals in a game. He tied a NHL record with 6 points in one period last year. He leads by example, playing a complete 200 foot game. If someone else was named captain, it would be a slap in the face. Unless he came out and said he didn't want it, and that hasn't happened.

Drury must of had someone in mind when he opened his big mouth about having a captain this year.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The theories on why there’s no captain are kind of crazy.

What likely happened is Gallant actually coached the team for a few weeks after he made that comment and quickly realized, like some people have here for years, that nobody is captain material.

But we’re not in the locker room, so how could we possibly know though, right?

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The Captaincy is basically for the fans. It won't make much difference in the locker room. Those that have leadership qualities will still speak their mind in the locker room and on the bench. It won't make much of a difference to the team. That said, it still needs to be someone who is respected and leads by example.

It is basically an award, an honor bestowed by the team, to the player exemplifying assertiveness and initiative. One who can lead the rally cry by example. Who better than Mika deserves this honor? Panarin has already said he doesn't want it, and he was Mika's only competition.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I honestly feel like we don't have a true captain on our team.

Trouba is the closest i guess. Kreider is too inconsistent for me... A captain should lead by example and Kreids doesn't have that drive.

Zibanejad has what it takes if we're talking talent, but he's pretty shy.

Fox doesn't struck me as a captain.

I think it's overblown, you don't need a captain. Would I like one? Yes. But it'll happen when it happens.

This is how I feel. Looking at your username, I don't think there really has been a player on this team worthy or qualified since Callahan. It's not about being the best player. I just felt he did things on and off the ice that was captain material. Heck, even had players follow him to Tampa. Kreider seemed to be the closest candidate I thought, but management disagrees, and feels there is no one person who rises above the rest in terms of leadership.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Odd, considering its all they talked about in the offseason and how important it was.

The conversation wasn't brought up by the fans or media either - it was something Drury and Gallant "wanted".

Doesn't really bother me much, as I am indifferent about it anyway. Maybe the players said something and felt it was leadership by committee, didnt want to place any undo pressure on any one player.

Its really about the dynamic of the room and if they feel this is the best way to go then so be it. But its still weird that everyone was making a point to name one all offseason and camp and then this happens.

Hockey is different here.

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
The Captaincy is basically for the fans. It won't make much difference in the locker room. Those that have leadership qualities will still speak their mind in the locker room and on the bench. It won't make much of a difference to the team. That said, it still needs to be someone who is respected and leads by example.

It is basically an award, an honor bestowed by the team, to the player exemplifying assertiveness and initiative. One who can lead the rally cry by example. Who better than Mika deserves this honor? Panarin has already said he doesn't want it, and he was Mika's only competition.
Actually Panarin said he does not think he is the best choice.

Anyway, I am not sure that having a captain would make us better team. Really. It should be natural, clear choice. We should have a captain de facto to make it de jure, no other way.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Hey, let’s have a captain every shift out there. Guys can hand each other an A every time they jump over the boards. The A can be Velcro. From no Captain to an A on the ice at all times.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is more like "aw shucks" than something I'm actually mad about but I think this is so dumb.

First of all, I don't see what the big deal is about naming one that they haven't done it for however many seasons now. They're like me waiting to text a girl when I was 20.

Also, six is f***ing lame. That's a full ass third of the roster.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My theory is that they wanted to name Goodrow. They got him for his experience and playstyle. Problem is, there's clearly those five guys ahead of Goodrow.

It's stupid. He didn't wear an A in Tampa. He still did his thing.

Reactions: leetch99

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Honestly I'm a little sad they didn't announce Zucc with a "Captain on leave" A.

Or just give McDonagh the C and tell him to record some motivational podcasts the lads can listen to.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
My theory is that they wanted to name Goodrow. They got him for his experience and playstyle. Problem is, there's clearly those five guys ahead of Goodrow.

It's stupid. He didn't wear an A in Tampa. He still did his thing.

That would be so stupid. He is not a captain.

I'm fine with the decision not to name one. Having 6 is stupid though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad