News Article: 6 Alternate Captains

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
How do you know that GG isn't trolling and just waiting until opening night @MSG to make the announcement?

Reactions: egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
OK. Cool. I disagree also... citing my "Things change and rigidity is death"

Neither you nor I are privy to that locker room.

McD to me was NEVER the captain... Cally... ehhhh ok. It was Hank. Always was.

I think that you do MORE damage by giving it to Fox or Laf when not ready... you do M<ORE damage by handing it to Panarin who's openly said 'I don't want it'... Mika? I suspect he's in the Bread mold and doesn't really want it.

Trouba? Kreider? Maybe neither are bad... but they might not be here long, or/and if you pin it on one, how does that make the other react?

Goodrow??? Reaves? Haven't played one game for us yet. NO WAY!

I say, if there's no CLEAR captain... I'm fine w none. 6 A's is ridic but maybe it's all about "all for one and one for all" etc

I dunno.
Look, I don't know either, and you are right, we have know idea what the locker room is like. But if the new GM says we are going to have a captain,... and the new head coach says you can bank on it (bet on it), then I suspect a captain was already decided. Gallant back tracked big time today with him saying he said maybe last week. He lied through his teeth. You can bet on it, isn't a maybe with other possibilities.

Players might say they are for this, but they too wonder WTF happened. Zibad looked perplexed when asked this today.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
they clearly spoke about this internally and rather lead as a group then have 1 single captain...

but I think the laf or fox is the way they want to go

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
How can you make a career out of covering sports and peg the lack of a captain announcement on the Rangers management?

Mark Giordano was named captain because he’s an actual leader that has been captain before, something nobody on the Rangers can claim. It has nothing to do with organizational competence - the only people that feel this way are the ones in denial that we don’t have a leader.

What a group of idiots our beat writers are.
You know it's funny. I don't remember not one person here , thinking we don't have anyone who can be captain of this team. People liked Kreids, Zibad, Trouba, and Fox for the position. I didn't hear anyone say we don't have any choices for captain. And more importantly neither did Rangers management, until today.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
You know it's funny. I don't remember not one person here , thinking we don't have anyone who can be captain of this team. People liked Kreids, Zibad, Trouba, and Fox for the position. I didn't hear anyone say we don't have any choices for captain. And more importantly neither did Rangers management, until today.

I’ve been very vocal on here for awhile about the Rangers lack of leadership. I think the awful starts, giving up goals right after they score then and inability to protect a lead late in games are all symptoms, to an extent, of a lack of leadership.

I fully expected them to name a captain before the season started, but I didn’t agree with that. At all. And I know there were plenty of posters out there who also felt that.

Gallant was very misleading with his comments. However, he was never going to come out and say “this team doesn’t have any leaders”. Under no circumstance, no matter how true it was, would he say that.

Not everyone is blindsided by this.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Amazing intellect to somehow come up with that from what I said. Truly stunning….you should work carnivals.
Ok screwball, you tell me who is captain worthy from this soft group. Obviously excluding the new comers.

Deleted member 23124

I would attribute that to people taking Gallant's statement that a captain would be named as gospel. Naturally, conversation turned to "who" would be named as opposed to "who is captain material".

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
I would attribute that to people taking Gallant's statement that a captain would be named as gospel. Naturally, conversation turned to "who" would be named as opposed to "who is captain material".
Gallant knows Kreider isnt captain worthy. He is massively inconsistent. Prior to these new guys coming in, this group was soft. Thats the facts. Its funny, 2 weeks ago Gallant was adamant on naming a captain before the start of the season. It only took him 2 weeks to figure out the players here (not the new guys) are not captain worthy. Some posters in here reside in lala land

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Also, Six alternates but not including Reaves, Fox, Lindgren. Decent depth in the “leadership” crew.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
I don't understand the fuss.

Gallant said at the start, before meeting any of the players, something to the extent of "If I were a betting man, I'd bet on there being a captain."

If he's met the players and decided no one is ready, so be it.

6 A's fits his "23 guys werk herd, play herd" philosophy.

The guy who has the best "captain" personality and swagger needs time to grow into his body and establish his game. (Laf)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Maybe if Gallant made an effort to talk to the players in the months between when he was hired and when training camp started he would have a better idea of who should be the Captain.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The only thing that confuses me is why the split is 5F/1D. Nearly half your Fs have a letter? Just seems odd to me. You're telling me you couldn't have given Fox or Lindgren a letter instead?

Reactions: LokiDog

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Next season they will have a press conference to announce the one player who isn't a captain, every other player on the team is an alternate.

The season after that, Sam Rosen is named captain. An angry Giannone quits as a result.

All for that!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Now that I'm really thinking about it, the old saying is "there is strength in numbers." Maybe the Rangers are on to something here. Why overwhelm one person with the Captaincy, if they're clearly isn't a Bonafide Captain candidate?..... So, by giving six alternates you're spreading the wealth so to speak. Spreading the responsibilities in leading the team to a Stanley Cup.
If the Rangers win the Stanley Cup this year with this Theory, how much do you want to bet there may be 3 or 4 other teams following their lead in years to come.

Deleted member 23124

Maybe if Gallant made an effort to talk to the players in the months between when he was hired and when training camp started he would have a better idea of who should be the Captain.
I doubt you can get a feel for something like this by just talking. A coach can get a better read by watching how the players interact with each other and other intangibles.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Now that I'm really thinking about it, the old saying is "there is strength in numbers." Maybe the Rangers are on to something here. Why overwhelm one person with the Captaincy, if they're clearly isn't a Bonafide Captain candidate?..... So, by giving six alternates you're spreading the wealth so to speak. Spreading the responsibilities in leading the team to a Stanley Cup.
If the Rangers win the Stanley Cup this year with this Theory, how much do you want to bet there may be 3 or 4 other teams following their lead in years to come.

It's a very democratic approach. Zib said the players were on board with this approach - it's their team and locker room after all.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
200.gif

YOU GET AN A!

YOU GET AN A!

YOU GET AN A!

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's a very democratic approach. Zib said the players were on board with this approach - it's their team and locker room after all.
Yes, so if he and the "boys" are okay with it, then shouldn't we?
Seems we are just looking for someone to BLAME the team for bad play OR lack of leadership. Jeez, plenty of that AND possible blame for EVERYONE, not just the leaders, or potential Captains. Win as a team, lose as a team.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's the same thing as when a team says they have two starting goalies, it means they don't have a starting goalie.

This team has 6 alternate captains bc they don't have a captain.

It looks much more like this is designed for laf to play this year pressure free and establish himself in the league, and then be given the C either next year or the year after.

Reactions: WojtekWolski86

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Its a mistake. Its waters down the honor where 1/3 the game roster are captains.
Its like the saying if you say you have 3 qbs then you really have none. I would just have picked 3.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We have a guy on this team who controls what both teams are doing when he's on the ice without breaking a sweat, is going to be the face of the franchise for the next 10-15 years, and grew up a Rangers fan.

I don't know what they're looking for and without being in the room, I don't know what they're seeing either, but that seems like it.

I think the Rangers are making too much of this at this point. Most captains are just the face of the franchise; they can't all be locker room generals. The face of our franchise has emerged clear as day.

Meanwhile, you have a guy like Reaves who clearly is a strong presence in the room and always has been, and he's never worn a letter anywhere, because he's a 4th liner. There's a huge element of the quality of your play to it as well.

I think the Rangers are looking for perfect. They want Fox talent and a Reaves personality in the same package. I've said it before -- Messier retired and they need to get over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad