News Article: 6 Alternate Captains

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Can’t wait to order my SPanKZ TroubaGood jersey with 6 As on the front.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
May be like Crosby, named captain after his second full season.
bunch of players like that of late. mcdavid, toews, landeskog. tavares was pretty young when he was named captain. obviously laf would need to break out offensively as well. i prefer having a top top player on the team as captain than a role player thats clearly a great leader.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
bunch of players like that of late. mcdavid, toews, landeskog. tavares was pretty young when he was named captain. obviously laf would need to break out offensively as well. i prefer having a top top player on the team as captain than a role player thats clearly a great leader.

Were you a Cally fan?

Reactions: yrrebbor

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Were you a Cally fan?
meh. wasnt in love with him like the rest of the fanbase. i do think it creates an odd dynamic when u have someone clearly less productive wearing the C than a star player who also is one of those alpha types. (cally didnt have to worry about that when he was here though).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Haha, they are at least not paranoid with risk for media spins. The ‘they can’t find someone with C qualities no matter how hard they look’ notion isn’t far away.

With that said, non-issue from my POV.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Future Captain, Adam Fox...

zootopia-sunglasses.gif

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
rangers have had 5 in recent years with Staal as the defacto captain wearing the A every night with the other 4 rotating. if nothing changes we'll see 3 guys wearing the A at home and the other 3 wearing them on the road

In recent years it made sense though because everyone knew Lundquist was the actual leader of the team. With his retirement, it makes less sense that there isn't a single team leader.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Again, having heard Turk answering questions during his first presser, I'm not totally surprised by this with the only caveat being that I thought Drury would mandate it on Gallant to pick a captain. Probably will name a captain anyway sooner than later with Gallant still emphasizing the below to Drury.

I copy from a previous thread:

As he was asked about the Captaincy:
1st question (whoever asked smartly brought up that VGK didn't have a captain during his time there) - He said it's important and bet on a C being named by season start.

Follow-up (what you want C to be) - C is important but 23 guys more important. Voice in room has to be from 23 guys not 1 or 2. VGK didn't have a C and he felt it made a lot of guys buy in.

Another Follow-up (Reason why this specific team needs a C) - No, not really. Discussed with Drury, some of the players last year talked about wanting a captain (in exits maybe?). To him it's not a big deal but he knows it's important in a market like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad