GDT: 6/21-6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft - 8pm ET/ 1PM ET - NBCSN. SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Why is it called the punic wars when Rome and Cathage fought?

Because the word punic probably means something derogatory to carthage in Roman?

I wonder if any of these hockey players appriciate some of the tipping points in history that even leads up to their exsistence.

I wonder what kind of sports teams they had at the time.. and if your city was destroyed by getting sacked or plague or pissed of assorted God came and destroyed it, what happens? Do you get a new roster? Filler draft from other city teams? We're they able to put whoever they wanted up for grabs and you just took him? Did they have a buy put period or did they just cut your head off?
When a gm was fired for picking poorly 3 consecutive spots in a row which probably cost you a championship, would they actually fire him by giving him the Greek oil and shooting him from a catapult?

My goodness tootsie rolls are just not like I remember them. Very waxy.

Did they have convienince stores in Carthage?

Punic is etymologically traced to Phoenicia and was the general adjective for Carthaginian culture and society at the time in Greek and Latin.

And the Bruins could use some elephants on their roster.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m so frustrated the bruins selected Beecher over kaliyev and Lavoie
I had a conversation with Sweeney two years ago about drafting and building a team.

He actually said ‘like a baseball team, strong down the middle. He specifically wanted a certain type of D (McAvoy, Vaakanainen, Andersson) and center (Frederic, Studnicka, Beecher)

He elaborated the skills but I highlighted the players selected who fit the description

I get it though - I’d have had no problem with Kaliyev or Lavoie there

Just understand that first pick probably is going to be either a mobile puck moving 4-way skating D who can defend or a big 200 foot center who can skate and has some jam

The second pick can get creative like a Lauko

Personally it was Matthew Robertson that I was stunned they passed on

Hopefully that means Krug signed and with Grzelcyk, Vaakanainen, Moore, Zboril, Lauzon they didn’t see the need

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It was heated for sure. I wonder if the scout was in love with the pick and Sweeney was ready to trade it.

They were the only team to go past the countdown and then finally move. Every other team was at the stage when 0:00 hit. Like he was waiting for a call that never happened.

Will love hearing about the drama at that table that took place.

I think Sweeney took his guy, so I'm working with the assumption there was a disagreement over who the best guy to pick was.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
We'll see on the offensive side. I don't see his floor that high. Don't hate the pick, just preferred some of the higher upside players. I think his floor is an NHL player, not sure his floor is a top 6 player.

I think this is an expectations problem. At 30, a 3rd line floor, is very high. Lavoie and Kaliyev don't have that floor. Their floor is ahl fodder.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Look, I get it. This is a hockey message board, we all love hockey and are here to talk about it. I also think that hockey is an emotional and intense sport and the fans tend to be that way as well.

That said, I have never understood the angst and outrage that gets generated immediately after the Bruins select a 17/18 year old kid in the draft that very few of us have actually watched and broken down there game. Even if we have watched them play, trying to figure out what they are going to be in 2-3 years is a pretty daunting task. I always go back to Bergeron. I wasn’t on the board here when he was taken, but I can only imagine some of the responses when he was.

I would have been good with Lavoie or Kaliyev. I didn’t think there was any chance they were there at 30, so I didn’t really look at them all that much. Brink was the one I was hoping would fall (and he did), but there is some boom/bust there. Beecher is a gamble in a different way. The Bruins are gambling that his physical abilities (size and skating) will help him develop into more of a goal scorer at the next level (NCAA, then NHL) when he gets more minutes and touches. He had 43 pts in 63 games without a ton of TOI, and without PP time. The kid played behind Hughes, Turcotte, and Zegras, who all went in the Top 10 for Christ’s sake. So there actually is the possibility that he could be pretty damn good in his own right.

From the scouting reports I read, he’s extremely intelligent, very good in the faceoff dot, and an excellent 3 zone player. It would appear that he has a chance of being a very good 3rd line C and PK guy at the minimum. The Bruin’s job is to try to look at these kids and project what they will be in a few years, after they get NHL level coaching and physically and mentally mature. The hardest thing to figure out (and why a lot of teams put stock in the interview process) is what makes these kids tick...and it’s probably the most important thing. It’s why a skinny 18 year old kid named Bergeron made the NHL as a rookie and never left. I don’t know them personally, but it might also be why kids like Lavoie and Kaliyev were still there at 30 and the B’s passed? Maybe they use it as motivation, or maybe not?

Two things we can be sure of is one, (right or wrong) if the Bruins question that fire inside, they will not be drafting you in the first round...and two, the morning after the first round is way too soon to say how these picks will turn out.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Look, I get it. This is a hockey message board, we all love hockey and are here to talk about it. I also think that hockey is an emotional and intense sport and the fans tend to be that way as well.

That said, I have never understood the angst and outrage that gets generated immediately after the Bruins select a 17/18 year old kid in the draft that very few of us have actually watched and broken down there game. Even if we have watched them play, trying to figure out what they are going to be in 2-3 years is a pretty daunting task. I always go back to Bergeron. I wasn’t on the board here when he was taken, but I can only imagine some of the responses when he was.

I would have been good with Lavoie or Kaliyev. I didn’t think there was any chance they were there at 30, so I didn’t really look at them all that much. Brink was the one I was hoping would fall (and he did), but there is some boom/bust there. Beecher is a gamble in a different way. The Bruins are gambling that his physical abilities (size and skating) will help him develop into more of a goal scorer at the next level (NCAA, then NHL) when he gets more minutes and touches. He had 43 pts in 63 games without a ton of TOI, and without PP time. The kid played behind Hughes, Turcotte, and Zegras, who all went in the Top 10 for Christ’s sake. So there actually is the possibility that he could be pretty damn good in his own right.

From the scouting reports I read, he’s extremely intelligent, very good in the faceoff dot, and an excellent 3 zone player. It would appear that he has a chance of being a very good 3rd line C and PK guy at the minimum. The Bruin’s job is to try to look at these kids and project what they will be in a few years, after they get NHL level coaching and physically and mentally mature. The hardest thing to figure out (and why a lot of teams put stock in the interview process) is what makes these kids tick...and it’s probably the most important thing. It’s why a skinny 18 year old kid named Bergeron made the NHL as a rookie and never left. I don’t know them personally, but it might also be why kids like Lavoie and Kaliyev were still there at 30 and the B’s passed? Maybe they use it as motivation, or maybe not?

Two things we can be sure of is one, (right or wrong) if the Bruins question that fire inside, they will not be drafting you in the first round...and two, the morning after the first round is way too soon to say how these picks will turn out.
A f***ing men.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Pin it to the top of every draft thread.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Drafting in sports is like buying a lottery ticket. Its not a scratch off, you wont immediately know what you get. Its a number ticket that you have to wait a week to see if you won.

Drafting in the first round guarentees NOTHING. As that graphic shows, Boston is by FAR the best organization in the league when it comes to hitting pay dirt on lower round players.

You draft, get your lottery ticket. Then give the kid the tools to succeed, and the rest is up to them over time.

Jack Hughes could blow a knee over the summer and never be the same. Bostons Zach Hamill broke his finger in Providence and could not shoot the same afterwards, it ended his career.

Kakko could not be able to translate his success to the harder & tighter NHL level of play. Jordan Caron could not, Puuljujarvi is having a hard time in Edmonton.

Lottery ticket.

100% potential until they earn a spot on the big club years down the line.

Lauzon, JFK, & Carlo were 2nd rounders.
Bjork a 5th rounder, Heinen a 4th rounder.
Chelarik a 3rd, Blidh a 6th.
Gryz was a 3rd rounder as well.

Lucic was a 2rd rounder, Marchand a 3rd.
Sobotka was a 4th, Matt Hunwick a 7th.
Krejci and Bergeron were 2nds.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well this is the 3rd time in 4 years they have made a very similar pick. going for the big, excellent athlete PF type who is rated a good bit lower based on consensus. But was though to have been hidden because of the other talent around him

So far the returns on the first 2 are mixed to put it optimistically . So is it unfair to compare this pick by the scouting staff to the 2 previous times they made a very similar selection using a very similar thought process

I assume you are referring to Frederic and Studnicka as the other two picks? If that’s the case, I am going to disagree with you on the whole “the results are mixed to put it optimistically” thing.

I like Frederic, but yes, the jury is still out on him. I wish the B’s had taken a chance on DeBrincat (which is something 30 other teams can also say).

However, with Studnicka, a late 2nd round pick that you are saying was a reach. How can you be unhappy with that pick at this point?

His 1st post draft season, he was named Captain of his junior team and rose above the point per game level in junior. Followed that up by looking pretty good at TC for a 19 year old, making the U20 team and finishing his junior career with 36 goals (and 83 pts) in 60 games. He has size, can skate, plays a 3 zone game and has leadership qualities.

For where he was picked, what is screaming mixed results (optimistically) to you? You are, apparently, the definition of a tough audience? Personally, at this point, I’m pretty happy with Studnicka at 53.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Back to the draft...

The rumor is that Sweeney is working hard to grab a 2nd round pick. I hope that he can because I like a lot of the players still left. Obviously, if he could grab a Lavoie, Kaliyev, or Brink in the 2nd round, I would be happy.

However, I heard that rumor, and that there was a kid the B’s really like (unnamed) BEFORE the 1st round took place. That tells me that if the B’s do acquire a pick, it won’t be used on any of the players I mentioned above :laugh:

Two guys that I like in the 2nd round (and hope the B’s like too) are Nathan Légaré and Albin Grewe. Both are “hard to play against”, but apples and oranges as players. I also like Nils Hoglander, but think he goes pretty quick.

I purchased the Draft Analyst (Steve Kournianos) draft guide for $5 yesterday (great value pick lol). He has about 5/6 guys in his Top 30 that are still available. The one he has the highest (9th) is a Russian wing named Pavel Dorofeyev that I know next to nothing about.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I know nothing, but I was excited by our pick because of the users here were excited about the pick. When I went to read the kids scouting reports, the Size, Speed combo was always caveated with average to below average skill.
To me this sounds like we just drafted Sean Kuraly in the first round. He must have a higher ceiling than that. But what kind of skill limitations does this kid have. Is he the type who can't carry the puck? At least a couple sites indicated he may develop more offense if he takes more risks and that he is a coaches dream. Could someone talk about the upside they see on this kids skill and high end potential?
I do love this theme of going back to the UNTDP, despite my uncertainty on Frederic whom I still have 2/3 line center hopes for.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Back to the draft...

The rumor is that Sweeney is working hard to grab a 2nd round pick. I hope that he can because I like a lot of the players still left. Obviously, if he could grab a Lavoie, Kaliyev, or Brink in the 2nd round, I would be happy.

However, I heard that rumor, and that there was a kid the B’s really like (unnamed) BEFORE the 1st round took place. That tells me that if the B’s do acquire a pick, it won’t be used on any of the players I mentioned above :laugh:

Two guys that I like in the 2nd round (and hope the B’s like too) are Nathan Légaré and Albin Grewe. Both are “hard to play against”, but apples and oranges as players. I also like Nils Hoglander, but think he goes pretty quick.

I purchased the Draft Analyst (Steve Kournianos) draft guide for $5 yesterday (great value pick lol). He has about 5/6 guys in his Top 30 that are still available. The one he has the highest (9th) is a Russian wing named Pavel Dorofeyev that I know next to nothing about.
Who would they move to get that pick?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I assume you are referring to Frederic and Studnicka as the other two picks? If that’s the case, I am going to disagree with you on the whole “the results are mixed to put it optimistically” thing.

I like Frederic, but yes, the jury is still out on him. I wish the B’s had taken a chance on DeBrincat (which is something 30 other teams can also say).

However, with Studnicka, a late 2nd round pick that you are saying was a reach. How can you be unhappy with that pick at this point?

His 1st post draft season, he was named Captain of his junior team and rose above the point per game level in junior. Followed that up by looking pretty good at TC for a 19 year old, making the U20 team and finishing his junior career with 36 goals (and 83 pts) in 60 games. He has size, can skate, plays a 3 zone game and has leadership qualities.

For where he was picked, what is screaming mixed results (optimistically) to you? You are, apparently, the definition of a tough audience? Personally, at this point, I’m pretty happy with Studnicka at 53.

Senyshyn not Studnicka is the other one who matches the profile. Of course with the big difference of not being a center.

Studnicka was not considered a reach, and his production was consistent with where he was drafted.

Reactions: Lo97

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If he puts up 30. Even if that were the case, doesn’t mean his game fits into the Bruins plan. I think at this point he is seen as too one dimensional and too much of a liability defensively. I’m not surprised Sweeney and company passed on him.

I've seen plenty of guys who are billed as two way yet can't make the jump to the NHL because they can't find the back of the net.

Scoring goals will always get you a job in this league. Anybody can play decent defense if they commit to it.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Back to the draft...

Pretty sure the report on Dorofeyev is that he's good at everything, but he's a poor skater. Bob McKenzie had him ranked 82nd, so that tells you how NHL scouts feel about him.

aguineapig

The same way the FBI has profilers to narrow down suspects, the B's use their methodology and high on the list is character. The John Moore " No Dicks need apply" sign is posted on Sweeney's door, as was ''the Buck stops here" was on Sinden's. When you look at Acciari. Kuraly, Kuhlman, all were high quality kids that were Captains in their Senior years in NCAA. Studnicka and Frederic were high character kids. They target these traits for right or wrong, maybe it's the Seguin syndrome. But there is a pattern there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad