GDT: 6/21-6/22 - 2019 NHL Draft - 8pm ET/ 1PM ET - NBCSN. SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
John “Don’t Call me Jack Reacher” Beecher is tied for second tallest player taken in the 1st round, and is the heaviest at 209 pounds.

Take THAT Cole Caufield.

That combo of size and speed is hard to match. Now that our local team is no longer in the USHL, I don't get to see the NTDP several times a year like I used to, but the video I've seen of him is that he seems to have solid hands and a nice handle in addition to the size and speed. He could easily be a solid top-6 C or even a power forward winger for the Bruins.

18-year-olds are hard to project. Brandon Carlo, Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand, David Krejci were all second-round picks who were passed over by almost *every* NHL team (and Torey Krug wasn't even drafted ... by either the USHL or the NHL). All have been key pieces on Stanley Cup finalists.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That combo of size and speed is hard to match. Now that our local team is no longer in the USHL, I don't get to see the NTDP several times a year like I used to, but the video I've seen of him is that he seems to have solid hands and a nice handle in addition to the size and speed. He could easily be a solid top-6 C or even a power forward winger for the Bruins.

18-year-olds are hard to project. Brandon Carlo, Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand, David Krejci were all second-round picks who were passed over by almost *every* NHL team (and Torey Krug wasn't even drafted ... by either the USHL or the NHL). All have been key pieces on Stanley Cup finalists.

Let me be clear.

I am not one of the...

WE JUST GOT OUR ASSES KICKED BY THE BIG BAD BLUES AND NEED TO GET HEAVIER...crowd.

That said, what’s not to like about a big, heavy kid with a bit of a mean streak that is a plus skater, has a high hockey IQ, and is a 3 zone team player? The only question seems to be his offensive upside. We will know a lot more about that after a year at Michigan and a lot more TOI than he got in the US program.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Let me be clear.

I am not one of the...

WE JUST GOT OUR ASSES KICKED BY THE BIG BAD BLUES AND NEED TO GET HEAVIER...crowd.

That said, what’s not to like about a big, heavy kid with a bit of a mean streak that is a plus skater, has a high hockey IQ, and is a 3 zone team player? The only question seems to be his offensive upside. We will know a lot more about that after a year at Michigan and a lot more TOI than he got in the US program.
Speaking for myself, first I didn't know we had a crowd, are we like secret group with passwords? Second I would welcome you with open arms in this secret organization, you know your stuff (over hyping a certain third line LW aside).

This is a reasoned response to the criticism the pick has been getting, I love the pick but if they had taken Kalyiev I'm pretty sure I would not have been as pleased, regardless of his boom potential.

I see Beecher being a good third line C for years at worst, a safe pick that fills a need. If one of the players who motivation or commitment taken afterwards become a 40 goal scorer i am still good with this pick.

My many criticisms of Sweeney do not include the teams decision to draft high character players over Seguins and Hamiltons. I think it is a solid management decision to pick a higher character player with a lower ceiling than a low character player with a higher ceiling

Reactions: GloryDaze4877
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad